WWII remains found

namvet

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
across the pond
after all these years they still keep finding them

One Man's Solemn Mission to Recover WWII Remains

(Nov. 11) -- At first, it seemed like a sick joke or, worse, some sort of scam. The caller from North Carolina was telling John Lenox that the wreckage of his father's plane had been located.

Staff Sgt. Alvin Lenox had been dead for two weeks longer than his 66-year-old son, John, had been alive. The Army Air Force radio operator crashed with four others in a cargo plane flying a supply mission from Yantai, China, to Joraht, India, in August 1943. They went down in a treacherous mountain region known as The Hump, which swallowed about 600 U.S. planes during World War II.

[URL="http://www.sphere.com/2009/11/11/veteran-day-feature/"]story[/URL]

1257957304196.JPEG

Staff Sgt. Alvin Lenox went missing while flying a mission for the U.S. Army in 1943 from China to India. Arizona adventurer Clayton Kuhles found the wreckage of the plane more than six decades later.

Interesting story. My dad was a radio operator in WW-II.

RIP Staff Sgt. Alvin Lenox

I was a radio Operator (RM) in Nam. my late dad was a machinist mate on a cruiser in WW2

Small world. I can't remember what kind of ship my Dad was on. I'll have to look it up. He was in the Pacific for most of the war.

by all means find it. the USN and IJN were the biggest fleets of the war. I still have a USN ship locator in my favs. if its on face book it will have the crew men who served on it.

mine served on the USS Philadelphia CL-41. his squadron covered the N Africa landings in Nov 42. later providing gunfire support for Patton's drive across N Sicily. then on to Anzio and the invasion of S france.

0404107.jpg

Forum List

Back