Would the world be a better place if Millennials were more inspired by science and engineering?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
I remember back in my typical American high school during the late 2000s math was seen as an "Uncool Thing". I am reminded of this speech.

I heard many of the 1960s youth were inspired by the Apollo program to go into science and engineering and they ended up giving us the 90s tech boom.

I am dismayed at finding out that a few people I knew from HS believe in ridiculous stuff like "Space is Fake".

But what if Millennials didn't think math was "Uncool"?

What if my generation like the generation of the 1960s was more interested in pushing humanity forward than being obsessed with vapid things?

I remember during the Summer before my first year of college I became fascinated by sci fi universes like "Eve Online" and wondering if during my lifetime humanity would work towards achieving an interstellar future and getting into astronomy thanks to Neil Degrasse Tyson but sadly during my college years I lost interest in those things and became obsessed with organic food, Greek Life, vacations to Disney World, German made cars, and getting a cushy office job.

Now I don't care about those things and my interest in space and science has come back with a vengeance.

Now I support GMOs and nuclear power.

As Kenya’s crops fail, a fight over GMOs rages

Opinion | Nuclear Waste Is Misunderstood

I don't intend to lose interest in space and science ever again.

the apollo program and the cold war inspired the technology of today. science and engineering classes are not founded in ideology or guesswork or anyone's opinion. we prove everything with math.

I remember back in my typical American high school during the late 2000s math was seen as an "Uncool Thing". I am reminded of this speech.

I heard many of the 1960s youth were inspired by the Apollo program to go into science and engineering and they ended up giving us the 90s tech boom.

I am dismayed at finding out that a few people I knew from HS believe in ridiculous stuff like "Space is Fake".

What if my generation like the generation of the 1960s was more interested in pushing humanity forward than being obsessed with vapid things?

I remember during the Summer before my first year of college I became fascinated by sci fi universes like "Eve Online" and wondering if during my lifetime humanity would work towards achieving an interstellar future and getting into astronomy thanks to Neil Degrasse Tyson but sadly during my college years I lost interest in those things and became obsessed with organic food, Greek Life, vacations to Disney World, German made cars, and getting a cushy office job.

Now I don't care about those things and my interest in space and science has come back with a vengeance.

Engineering is still in the top 4th, 5th or 6th most popular undergrad degrees. Fine with me, as many vapid millennials have no business designing the planes I ride in, bridges I cross or spacecraft that explore other worlds.
1692108847071.png

I remember high school in the 1970's ... math and science was totally uncool ... try teaching evolution to a student body 95% Bible-thumpin' evangelicals ...

Fully half the world's population is of below average intelligence ... and unable to learn math and science ... the same is true in any given high school ... you don't have to be smart to be good at sports, or welding, or getting pregnant ... why I dropped out of high school, I finished the parts I cared about ... and that didn't include Englishingation ...

The world will be just fine, even the US will be just fine. Those millennials that don't like STEM will just work for those that do. A good example today is the head of Google, Sundar Pichai.

The top mathematicians in the world are in the US. The rest of us can just google what we need and be fine.

Astronomy Is Mind-Candy for Escapist Nerds

Forum List

Back