Would President Reagan have freed the slaves?

I remember the controversy when he made a speech about his indignation when someone gets in line behind a "...big buck, cashing his food stamps" in front of hard working Americans at the grocery store. I think that was before the pandering speech he made at a fundie religious convention about how he has always had doubts about evolution, himself.

What a stupid thread. if the Democrats had had their way. they would still be slaves today. well, sadly they are a slave to party in this country

Your guru, Reagan was initially a Democrat when it was overflowing with racists and racism. Reagan switched parties about the same time the KKK did. Can you explain why?

Aren't you the one with who can see in his mind? or ask your crystal ball you're so Troubled over it...good grief

It's hard to say exactly what he would have done. I guess it would have depended on what the astrologers that were called to the white house advised. Astrologers were counted on quite often during the Reagan presidency, especially after the effects of his Alzheimer's became so obvious/

So you don't think his behavior as described in the op would be a strong indicator of what he would have done had he been president during the Lincoln era?

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying Reagan was never anything more than an actor playing the part of president. His actions conformed more to what he thought that character would do than to anything that might be good for the country.

That is an interesting analogy. But what role would he have assumed in addressing the slavery issue? Clearly he was aligned with southern social conservatism. His "acting" as presidential contender and as president was certainly modeled on characters who were anti- Civil Rights. and anti-equality for blacks and women.

What a stupid thread. if the Democrats had had their way. they would still be slaves today. well, sadly they are a slave to party in this country

Your guru, Reagan was initially a Democrat when it was overflowing with racists and racism. Reagan switched parties about the same time the KKK did. Can you explain why?

Aren't you the one with who can see in his mind? or ask your crystal ball you're so Troubled over it...good grief

Just as I thought, you don't want to admit the obvious.

It's hard to say exactly what he would have done. I guess it would have depended on what the astrologers that were called to the white house advised. Astrologers were counted on quite often during the Reagan presidency, especially after the effects of his Alzheimer's became so obvious/

So you don't think his behavior as described in the op would be a strong indicator of what he would have done had he been president during the Lincoln era?

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying Reagan was never anything more than an actor playing the part of president. His actions conformed more to what he thought that character would do than to anything that might be good for the country.

That is an interesting analogy. But what role would he have assumed in addressing the slavery issue? Clearly he was aligned with southern social conservatism. His "acting" as presidential contender and as president was certainly modeled on characters who were anti- Civil Rights. and anti-equality for blacks and women.

I have to be restrained when I discuss Reagan. I hated him when he was president, and it's easy to let my anger assign all kinds of evil actions to him. To be as fair as I am capable of being when he is concerned, I'll just say I wouldn't be surprised at any wrong headed actions he might have taken.

Ah, Reagan would expect a slave to work hard and buy his own freedom, that's the American way.

He might have let slavery die out in 25 years, as it did in the rest of the Western Hemisphere, instead of causing the deaths of 600,000 soldiers.

I have to be restrained when I discuss Reagan. I hated him when he was president, and it's easy to let my anger assign all kinds of evil actions to him. To be as fair as I am capable of being when he is concerned, I'll just say I wouldn't be surprised at any wrong headed actions he might have taken.
Ok, but do you think he would have freed the slaves?

What "begs to be explored" is if Lincoln really "freed the slaves". Apparently Lincoln was fine with the status quo of slavery that he never disputed in public all of his adult life before he became president. The Emancipation Proclamation was a political stunt only issued after tens of thousands of Americans were killed on both sides in a dispute over border states and fugitive slaves were flooding the north. During the Draft Riots in New York City it is alleged that every Black face in the city was hunted down and hanged from light poles. .

Lincoln's first priority was to save the union. He succeeded. He was well aware that his re election could have been prevented with the emancipation proclamation. On the other side of the coin, Britain could never ally itself with the South, as long as the war had become about slavery. He did what he had to do, and made the right decision on both counts.

The problem was that the North had no intention of welcoming freed slaves after the Civil War even though most of the freed slaves were generations from their African origin. According to the archives, Lincoln had all sorts of plans to ship freed slaves out of the U.S. On one event, about 500 freed slaves were shipped to a smallpox infested area of Haiti and later died. Lincoln also had a plan to send freed slaves to yellow fever infested areas in Panama. Shipping freed slaves back to Africa was too expensive for the federal government which was emerging from the Civil War.

Last edited:
The problem was that the North had no intention of welcoming freed slaves after the Civil War even though most of the freed slaves were generations from their African origin. According to the archives, Lincoln had all sorts of plans to ship freed slaves out of the U.S. On one event, about 500 freed slaves were shipped to a smallpox infested area of Haiti and later died. Lincoln also had a plan to send freed slaves to yellow fever infested areas in Panama. Shipping freed slaves back to Africa was too expensive for the federal government which was emerging from the Civil War.
Did they get Liberia for free?

What they got during the "draft riots" in New York City was a lynching. The Civil War was about expanding slavery into the territories. If Lincoln was half the skilled politician that the drooling history buffs claim, he would have done everything in his power to prevent the carnage that he is responsible for. Lincoln should have lied, cajoled, promised, made friends, stroked egos and did every could to avoid the political crisis that led to the conflict but he sat on his pompous ass and listened to his insane wife and racist ass holes in the north while the Country went down the tubes.Slavery was doomed in the South just as it was a scant 15 years before the Civil War when New Jersey outlawed (but not completely) the despised institution.

What they got during the "draft riots" in New York City was a lynching. The Civil War was about expanding slavery into the territories. If Lincoln was half the skilled politician that the drooling history buffs claim, he would have done everything in his power to prevent the carnage that he is responsible for. Lincoln should have lied, cajoled, promised, made friends, stroked egos and did every could to avoid the political crisis that led to the conflict but he sat on his pompous ass and listened to his insane wife and racist ass holes in the north while the Country went down the tubes.Slavery was doomed in the South just as it was a scant 15 years before the Civil War when New Jersey outlawed (but not completely) the despised institution.
normally,,,,it takes two to tango..The South made several mistakes also, but hindsight is 20/20...

You have to stop holding back. Tell us how you REALLY feel about Lincoln.

Would Ronald Reagan have freed the slaves?

That is a tantalizing question and one that begs to be explored.

For starters there are several things Lincoln did that might have been troublesome
for Reagan.

Lincoln:
Lincoln was , like most of us, both liberal and conservative, even though the term liberal was not then in common use.

Lincoln Presided over the Civil War and led the Union to victory. In his quest to preserve the Union, Lincoln's actions there could be construed as conservatism. Yet, his Southern opponents could not be said to be liberals. The label that best fits the course they chose to preserve their way of life is radical conservatism.

Reagan:

Reagan would likely have stood with the radical conservatives as a Democrat .
At his infamous presidential kick-off campaign rally at Neshoba, Miss., in 1980, held virtually a stone’s throw from where three civil rights workers were murdered in 1964, Reagan shouted to an all-white crowd: “I believe in states’ rights.” He laced that speech—and many others during his campaign—with racial code words and phrases, blasting welfare, big government, and rampant federal spending. The message was that if elected, he would not only say and do as little as possible to offend the white South, he would work to actively undermine civil rights.

Secession would have been a non-issue under Reagan and the Civil War would never have occurred; at least not as long as he was president.

Lincoln:
Issued the Emancipation Proclamation which authorized the Army to protect escaped slaves and encouraged border states to outlaw slavery.

Reagan:

Southern Partisan magazine said:
Reagan reconstituted the Solid South and gave Southerners an opportunity to vote together in opposition to our old political enemies. In 1984, he swept the region; and as a consequence, voting Republican became respectable. (To be sure, the GOP ticket carried the South in 1972, but we were voting against McGovern rather than for Nixon.) When we voted for Reagan, we meant it. That[’]s why we were especially moved when we learned of his death. We felt as if a direct descendant of Jefferson Davis had died. .”

Reagan:

Reagan praised Nathan B. Forrest
Would IKE have played around with Iraq and Afghanistan? Would IKE have played around in Viet Nam? Would JFK have eventually exposed government corruption had he lived?

Aren't hypotheticals and the guessing game fun?
you probably already knew that contrary to what out history classes have taught us it was Ike who got us into vietnam and JFK inherited it.

Would Ronald Reagan have freed the slaves?

That is a tantalizing question and one that begs to be explored.

For starters there are several things Lincoln did that might have been troublesome
for Reagan.

Lincoln:
Lincoln was , like most of us, both liberal and conservative, even though the term liberal was not then in common use.

Lincoln Presided over the Civil War and led the Union to victory. In his quest to preserve the Union, Lincoln's actions there could be construed as conservatism. Yet, his Southern opponents could not be said to be liberals. The label that best fits the course they chose to preserve their way of life is radical conservatism.

Reagan:

Reagan would likely have stood with the radical conservatives as a Democrat .
At his infamous presidential kick-off campaign rally at Neshoba, Miss., in 1980, held virtually a stone’s throw from where three civil rights workers were murdered in 1964, Reagan shouted to an all-white crowd: “I believe in states’ rights.” He laced that speech—and many others during his campaign—with racial code words and phrases, blasting welfare, big government, and rampant federal spending. The message was that if elected, he would not only say and do as little as possible to offend the white South, he would work to actively undermine civil rights.

Secession would have been a non-issue under Reagan and the Civil War would never have occurred; at least not as long as he was president.

Lincoln:
Issued the Emancipation Proclamation which authorized the Army to protect escaped slaves and encouraged border states to outlaw slavery.

Reagan:

Southern Partisan magazine said:
Reagan reconstituted the Solid South and gave Southerners an opportunity to vote together in opposition to our old political enemies. In 1984, he swept the region; and as a consequence, voting Republican became respectable. (To be sure, the GOP ticket carried the South in 1972, but we were voting against McGovern rather than for Nixon.) When we voted for Reagan, we meant it. That[’]s why we were especially moved when we learned of his death. We felt as if a direct descendant of Jefferson Davis had died. .”

Reagan:

Reagan praised Nathan B. Forrest
Would IKE have played around with Iraq and Afghanistan? Would IKE have played around in Viet Nam? Would JFK have eventually exposed government corruption had he lived?

Aren't hypotheticals and the guessing game fun?
you probably already knew that contrary to what out history classes have taught us it was Ike who got us into vietnam and JFK inherited it.
It wasn't so much the getting into it that mattered, it's what happened while we were in it that matters. And, it mattered all the way up to 1975.

Forum List

Back