Would President Reagan have freed the slaves?

JQPublic1

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2012
Would Ronald Reagan have freed the slaves?

That is a tantalizing question and one that begs to be explored.

For starters there are several things Lincoln did that might have been troublesome
for Reagan.

Lincoln:
Lincoln was , like most of us, both liberal and conservative, even though the term liberal was not then in common use.

Lincoln Presided over the Civil War and led the Union to victory. In his quest to preserve the Union, Lincoln's actions there could be construed as conservatism. Yet, his Southern opponents could not be said to be liberals. The label that best fits the course they chose to preserve their way of life is radical conservatism.

Reagan:

Reagan would likely have stood with the radical conservatives as a Democrat .
At his infamous presidential kick-off campaign rally at Neshoba, Miss., in 1980, held virtually a stone’s throw from where three civil rights workers were murdered in 1964, Reagan shouted to an all-white crowd: “I believe in states’ rights.” He laced that speech—and many others during his campaign—with racial code words and phrases, blasting welfare, big government, and rampant federal spending. The message was that if elected, he would not only say and do as little as possible to offend the white South, he would work to actively undermine civil rights.

Secession would have been a non-issue under Reagan and the Civil War would never have occurred; at least not as long as he was president.

Lincoln:
Issued the Emancipation Proclamation which authorized the Army to protect escaped slaves and encouraged border states to outlaw slavery.

Reagan:

Southern Partisan magazine said:
Reagan reconstituted the Solid South and gave Southerners an opportunity to vote together in opposition to our old political enemies. In 1984, he swept the region; and as a consequence, voting Republican became respectable. (To be sure, the GOP ticket carried the South in 1972, but we were voting against McGovern rather than for Nixon.) When we voted for Reagan, we meant it. That[’]s why we were especially moved when we learned of his death. We felt as if a direct descendant of Jefferson Davis had died. .”

Reagan:

Reagan praised Nathan B. Forrest

Another troll thread from the angry black man. Reagan wan't alive during slavery so the question is moot, as well as stupid.

It's hard to say exactly what he would have done. I guess it would have depended on what the astrologers that were called to the white house advised. Astrologers were counted on quite often during the Reagan presidency, especially after the effects of his Alzheimer's became so obvious/

For starters there are several things Lincoln did that might have been troublesome
for Reagan.

Lincoln:
Lincoln was , like most of us, both liberal and conservative, even though the term liberal was not then in common use.

Lincoln Presided over the Civil War and led the Union to victory. In his quest to preserve the Union, Lincoln's actions there could be construed as conservatism. Yet, his Southern opponents could not be said to be liberals. The label that best fits the course they chose to preserve their way of life is radical conservatism.

Reagan:

At his infamous presidential kick-off campaign rally at Neshoba, Miss., in 1980, held virtually a stone’s throw from where three civil rights workers were murdered in 1964, Reagan shouted to an all-white crowd: “I believe in states’ rights.” He laced that speech—and many others during his campaign—with racial code words and phrases, blasting welfare, big government, and rampant federal spending. The message was that if elected, he would not only say and do as little as possible to offend the white South, he would work to actively undermine civil rights.

Secession would have been a non-issue under Reagan and the Civil War would never have occurred; at least not as long as he was president.

Lincoln:
Issued the Emancipation Proclamation which authorized the Army to protect escaped slaves and encouraged border states to outlaw slavery.

Reagan:

Reagan reconstituted the Solid South and gave Southerners an opportunity to vote together in opposition to our old political enemies. In 1984, he swept the region; and as a consequence, voting Republican became respectable. (To be sure, the GOP ticket carried the South in 1972, but we were voting against McGovern rather than for Nixon.) When we voted for Reagan, we meant it. That[’]s why we were especially moved when we learned of his death. We felt as if a direct descendant of Jefferson Davis had died. .”

Reagan:

Would IKE have played around with Iraq and Afghanistan? Would IKE have played around in Viet Nam? Would JFK have eventually exposed government corruption had he lived?

Aren't hypotheticals and the guessing game fun?

Reagan freed Eastern Europe from Soviet slavery, so I think he would have freed the slaves here too. He beat the real Communists, he could easily have handled their JV squad, the American Democrat Party

Another troll thread from the angry black man. Reagan wan't alive during slavery so the question is moot, as well as stupid.
Like asking if God would have chosen the Jews as his people if he had known basketball would become so popular.

I'd hope he'd of corrected a mistake and deported them all back to mother Africa. Fuck blacks.
And be sure to send all those "blue dogs" back to where the fuck ever THEY came from too..Fuck the blue dogs..!!!
Ain't YOU a "prince among men"..??:asshole:

What a stupid thread. if the Democrats had had their way. they would still be slaves today. well, sadly they are a slave to party in this country

Reagan freed Eastern Europe from Soviet slavery, so I think he would have freed the slaves here too. He beat the real Communists, he could easily have handled their JV squad, the American Democrat Party
I think you had better go back and look at Reagan's biography. He tarted out as a Democrat. As my opening post indicated, his affinity with radical conservative Democrats in the early 20th Century carried over when he switched to the GOP. Incase you missed it here is the reference again:

Reagan was talking from both sides of his mouth here. How could he not offend the agrarian white poverty stricken south if he was against welfare, government spending and civil rights? Reagan insinuated that the face of poverty was a black one and that white tax dollars were being used to raise the living standards of blacks while white people suffered. With those lies, he was able to galvanize most of the white social strata in the south behind him. Many voting against their own best interests to "stop" the black menace.

What a stupid thread. if the Democrats had had their way. they would still be slaves today. well, sadly they are a slave to party in this country

Your guru, Reagan was initially a Democrat when it was overflowing with racists and racism. Reagan switched parties about the same time the KKK did. Can you explain why?

It's hard to say exactly what he would have done. I guess it would have depended on what the astrologers that were called to the white house advised. Astrologers were counted on quite often during the Reagan presidency, especially after the effects of his Alzheimer's became so obvious/

So you don't think his behavior as described in the op would be a strong indicator of what he would have done had he been president during the Lincoln era?

for Reagan.

Lincoln:

Reagan:

Lincoln:

Reagan:

Reagan:

Would IKE have played around with Iraq and Afghanistan? Would IKE have played around in Viet Nam? Would JFK have eventually exposed government corruption had he lived?

I suggest you start a hypothetical thread on Ike. This one is about Reagan!

Did Reagan believe man was responsible for his problems or government?

So you don't think his behavior as described in the op would be a strong indicator of what he would have done had he been president during the Lincoln era?

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying Reagan was never anything more than an actor playing the part of president. His actions conformed more to what he thought that character would do than to anything that might be good for the country.

for Reagan.

Lincoln:

Reagan:

Lincoln:

Reagan:

Reagan:

I suggest you start a hypothetical thread on Ike. This one is about Reagan!
Well, excuuuuuuuse me ...........

Forum List

Back