Worst Job You've Ever Had

b-24_tail_gunner.jpg

the worst job i can imagine. Tailgunner.
imagine this one

brenham_148.jpg

funny.jpg

In college, I worked in a McDonald's. Would come home exhausted, stinking of oil and even after a shower I could still smell it on my skin.

You?

I worked in the Yellow-D measuring unit at Naval Ammunition Depot, Crane, Indiana (now NWSC Crane) in 1965 for about a month. The foreman was my wife's uncle, so I might have expected a favor and better assignments, but that would've been nepotism or favoritism. And neither did I ask to be favored in that way either.

The job consisted of getting into white coveralls, going into a sealed room, with glass observation walls, and measuring out precise quantities of Yellow-D explosive powder. When an individual who was not desensitized to it first entered the measuring room the first thing he noticed was an extreme gag-impulse.

The job consisted of dipping out precisely measured quantities suitable for compressing as the booster explosive component of certain shells.

At the end of each 8-hour day the workers would go directly to a shower, and remove as much of the residue as possible, deposit the coveralls for cleaning, and get into ordinary street clothes.

In a few weeks a yellow stain was visible in the armpits of a workers white T-shirts. After leaving the work the yellow stains persisted in staining shirts for several months.

Old hands working in the unit wore yellow T-shirts.

In all the time I worked there I never completely got over the gag impulse.

NQ [Nitroguanidine / Picrate]
Ammonium Picrate (Yellow D / Explosive D), or Picric Acid or 2,4,6-trinitrophenol, C6H2(NO2)3OH, a toxic yellow crystalline solid that melts at 122°C and is soluble in most organic solvents. Picric acid is a derivative of phenol. It reacts with metals to form metal picrates, which like picric acid itself are highly sensitive explosives that can be detonated by heat, flame, shock, or friction.

The high explosives lyddite and melinite are composed mostly of compressed or fused picric acid. Picric acid is often used as a booster to detonate another, less sensitive explosive, such as TNT (trinitrotoluene ).

Last edited:
moderating a message board

You do it well, del. One time when you were a new moddie and I a new member, you felt a need to chastise me for leaving out a link in a post I made, but what impressed me was that you did it in a PM. That was high class, and I have held you in high esteem ever since. So I would like to say, "thank you" for making lemonade out of lemons...:thup:

I think that the worst job I took was as a janitor while I was in college.
It was a summer job after I had completed two years of University studies as a physics major. It was in my home town and I lived with my parents. It was night time work, cleaning up in a large office after the workers had gone home. Why was it so bad? I had a girl friend at the time who I had met at college and who lived about 20 miles away, so I got to see her during the summer. The problem was that it is hard to keep a young woman interested in you (and the relationship) when all you are able to bring to the relationship that summer is your experiences living at home while working as a janitor!
I think that this situation contributed to the deterioration of our relationship. This was over 40 years ago, but I have always felt that, had I been a young black fellow with serious professional aspirations, instead of a young white man, the community would have done better for me because of the importance of the civil rights movement at that time (1968).

My worst job was when I worked at a local pizza place taking orders over the phone. Listening to those phones ring over and over, and trying to understand the drunks attempting to place orders. And all this time, hearing the owner or his kid complaining if one of the 4 phones rang more than 5 times without being answered.

After 8 hours of this, when you finally get to leave, you still hear those damn things ringing. I used to call them the "midnight bells" because I thought I heard them in my sleep. It was 3 months after I left that they stopped ringing in my head. But even now, 30 years later, I can still hear them on the dead-still quiet nights.

Telemarketer, when I was 15 in high school.

Made it 20 minutes, and walked out the door.

Dumbest.

Job.

Ever.

(And at 15, $10 an hour was an assload of money back then - STILL not worth it.Z)

ring-ring

i was only a pizza driver. This was fun. I crashed 3 cars but wasn´t ever late.

No. I didn´t, just kidding. I got fired after i filled up this junk pizzataxi up with gas which should be sold the day after.

But today i´m a very popular pizzabaker here. But just for friends.

ring-ring

No. I didn´t, just kidding. I got fired after i filled up this junk pizzataxi up with gas which should be sold the day after.

Our place didn't do delivery, only carry out. I hate to think what my job would have been like if we did.

The only part I did like was that I could put in a fake order about an hour before leaving, then offer to buy the unclaimed pizza for half price when I clocked out. The family ate good on the cheap when I did that.

Mine was as a receiving and supply supervisor at a five star hotel on the beach.

I took the job because it was on the beach and had a great fucking bar.

First day I find out all the stock taking has been fucked up and they want me to work weekends until it is fixed (on salary).

OK, I will give it a go.

Went to go to lunch on the beach and they said I had to eat in the hotel canteen, I could not go to the beach because the clients might see me there.

Asked if we got a discount at the bar after work and they said I can not go to the bar because the clients might see us there, at which point I immediately quit and went to the bar as their newest "client".

Last edited:
The worst jobs I have had are all attributable to psychobosses. Managers so insane they seem to live to make your life hell just because it makes em feel better. Working in hospitality for years, I met a lot of them. One I actually threatened during the interview if he ever treated cursed at me, I'd black his eyes. The owner hired me anyway, even with that.

I've worked in shitty conditions too. Been around industrial waste that made me cough out black shit for a week after I left and killed my sense of smell for a day at a time. I've been hit in the face by molten iron... yes really. I've almost been murdered on the job, nearly crushed by a 4 ton roll of Kleenex at the mill, crushed by a forklift and poisoned by industrial chemicals they put in the wrong place off gassing toxic fumes while being cooled. But those were at least interesting jobs.

The two WORST jobs I ever had was Short Order cook for a restaurant... I sucked at it and have an everlasting hatred of working with food because of it, lasting only 3 weeks. Then the worst all time job was working at a re-packaging plant when I turned 18, on the resupply line that had employees packing boxes of kotex. I lasted one shift and quit that night. I was amazed that my parents let me... but wow, it was an eye opener.

Ever seen the show "Worst Jobs in History" hosted by Black Adder's Baldrick, Tony Robinson? WOW! Be a spit boy for a day, or a nightsoil man. I think I'd rather die than do some of those jobs. Thank God for modern western civilization and technology.

ring-ring

Hmmm, so share all your pizza secrets on the cooking thread. :eusa_angel:

I guess my roughest job was during my senior year, as a chef for International House of Pancakes (IHOP) in Phoenix, Arizona. I really enjoyed the job, but I couldn't stand the Jew Bastard boss. One night as we cleaned up I had my prep-man slicing bacon and he cut the tip of his thumb off. So I called an Ambulance because I couldn't leave and needed my two clean up people to finish the shift. Anyway the Jew bastard jumps me out for sending him to the hospital, like I was supposed to give him a quart of blood and put his thumb back on. Anyway, I found the thumb the next day cooked off in a tray of bacon. LOL! I swear to god!!! Anyway, after that I started paying more attention to the Jew, and finally got sick of his crap and quit.

Worst job I have ever had? Let me think... Oh - The worst job I ever had was at a lumber yard. I had to eat sawdust and shit 2 X 4's...

Forum List

Back