Worst case scenario - oil spill

NEW ORLEANS — BP reported some glimmers of progress on Monday in its efforts to stem oil leaks from an undersea well off the Louisiana coast that have created what President Obama called a “potentially unprecedented environmental disaster.”

Bill Salvin, a company spokesman, said that crews had finished building a containment dome, a 4-story, 70-ton structure that the company plans to lower into place over one of the three leaks to catch the escaping oil and allow it to be pumped to the surface. The other two domes would be completed on Tuesday, Mr. Salvin said, and crews hoped to install all three domes by the weekend.

“That will essentially eliminate most of the issues you have with oil in the water,” he said.

The company was also trying on Monday to install a shutoff valve at the site of one of the three leaks. But according to David Nicholas, a BP spokesman, after the stormy weather of the weekend, the seas at the site had still not calmed enough by midafternoon for the valve mechanism to be hoisted safely out of a support ship.

The efforts come as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said the oil slick appeared to be drifting toward the Alabama and Florida coasts and the Chandeleur Islands off Louisiana’s southern tip.

Miles of floating booms laid out on coastal waters in hopes of protecting the shoreline from the spreading oil slick were damaged over the weekend by the heavy winds and rough seas, the Coast Guard said on Monday. Roughly 80 percent of the boom protecting the Alabama coast was damaged.

“Some of it has been torn apart, some of it is repairable, some was relocated by the weather,” said Petty Officer David Mosley of the Coast Guard. “We’re looking to fix what we can fix and replace what we can replace.”

All told, some 52 miles of booms have been deployed to try to corral the spill or to fend it off from vulnerable shorelines, he said. Crews were checking the condition of more than 6 miles of boom near the Mississippi-Alabama border, and other sections near the Mississippi and Louisiana coasts.

On Monday, BP said it would pay “all necessary and appropriate clean-up costs” from the disaster. Referring to the drilling rig that collapsed April 22 after a fire and explosion, causing the well it was drilling to leak, the company said: “BP takes responsibility for responding to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. We will clean it up.”

BP, which was leasing the Deepwater Horizon rig, has been working with an array of government agencies and private companies but has been unable so far to stop the flow of crude from the well.

President Obama visited Louisiana on Sunday afternoon for a firsthand look at the response effort, which has drawn criticism for the lack of rapid results.

“The oil that is still leaking from the well could seriously damage the economy and the environment of our gulf states, and it could extend for a long time,” Mr. Obama said. “It could jeopardize the livelihoods of thousands of Americans who call this place home.”

Bob Fryar, the company’s senior vice president for operations in Angola, who was brought to a command center in Houston for the engineering effort, said on Sunday that BP hoped to install a shut-off valve on one of the three leaks on Monday to stop some of the oil flow there. But the leak that is spewing the most oil, at the end of the broken riser pipe that once connected the well with the rig, cannot be shut off that way, Mr. Fryar said.

A device known as a blowout preventer, a towering stack of heavy equipment at the wellhead, 5,000 feet below the surface of the gulf, was supposed to seal the well quickly in the event of a burst of pressure, but it did not work when the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded.

On Sunday, Mr. Fryar and Charlie Holt, BP’s drilling operations manager for the gulf, described an audacious plan to confront the blowout preventer problem. In this approach, they would seal the well by cutting the riser at the wellhead, sliding a huge piece of equipment called the riser package out of the way and bolting a second blowout preventer atop the first one.

BP Says Crews Make Progress Stemming Oil Leaks - NYTimes.com

You really are somewhat of an ignorant hack fuckwit...Eh?...LumptyDumpty? I ... did some research this morning looking at exactly that topic.. Regs ...and found nothing tying Obama to any oil rig regulations. Frankly it was impossible in the time I had to find out exactly who was in charge when the regs were put in place.

Good job sparky..way to bring it..:lol::lol: Leave it to a halfwit like yourself to open his pie hole with absolutely zero evidense.:lol::lol:

Sweet... I've been blitzkrieged by Huggy.. although I don't think it's your best work.. let me give you another try...

Where does the Buck stop for Democrat Presidents.. you sweet lovable bowl of charm..

BP is at fault.....their negligence caused this....and probably the US GVT'S NEGLIGENCE in leasing to this private global company with one of the WORST records for disasters/spills.

There is NOTHING Fema can really do to stop this near gusher....there is nothing BP can do to stop it.....there is nothing the coast guard can do to stop it....the solution could be 6 months from now, in the mean time.....those southern states affected, economies will collapse and us tax payers will end up footing the bill....and footing the bill will not bring back to life the millions of sea creatures and coral reefs and birds that are already DEAD, or beaches that are already destroyed....

We are in big big big trouble and BP will go belly up....and nothing is an immediate remedy.....

Have fun making jest of this situation and your Obamarama drama lumpy.....to me, this is nothing to make light of....:(

this is the worst oil catastrophe in the history of our world....

Not so fast goddess! This time bomb may well be the tip of the iceburg. I think Obama should order an immediate review of ALL safety regulations that could lead to any possible disaster in the country. Bush and Cheney had eight years to fuck things up. Hundreds of "mole" regulators have been installed in all kinds of critical places. It may seem real funny now but what if a nuclear plant goes wack? We need a thorough look at the places that could hurt us. NOW!

oh boy oh boy....

Memo: Federal oil lease employees had sex with industry reps
Top watchdog at Interior says one agency rife with corruption
By DAVID IVANOVICH Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau
Sept. 11, 2008, 9:18AM

WASHINGTON — A program director allegedly snorts crystal meth off a toaster oven. A marketing supervisor sells sex toys to her employees, while senior executives allegedly rig contract bids for a pal.

Such is the culture the Interior Department's Inspector General says he found at the Minerals Management Service, the federal agency responsible for handling $8 billion a year in revenue from offshore oil and gas leases.

As lawmakers on Capitol Hill Wednesday were taking up bills that could throw open new areas offshore to oil and gas drilling, Inspector General Earl Devaney released a series of blistering, even lurid, reports on the alleged behavior of the federal employees who deal with those offshore operators.

Agency employees, a number of whom still work for the federal government, received frequent gifts from industry players, had sexual encounters with oil and gas company employees, consulted for energy firms on the side and threw contracts to friends, Devaney found.
Oil, sex & mon
ey: Federal agency accused of sleazy antics | | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

The problem is obviously bigger than BP. The controlling authority has cracks of it's own. he focus is containment, repair, and investigation of cause, in detail. There are other deep water rigs out there.

BP is at fault....PERIOD. Our gvt regulators may be at fault for taking bribes from oil industry personel, our gvt may be at fault for easing regulations, our gvt may have turned a blind eye to dangers.....BUT BP as a private company IS RESPONSIBLE for the ACTIONS they TOOK....which caused this catastrophe....the gvt regulators should not have to babysit BP or other oil industry corps down to the I-dotting and T-crossing.....BP should have taken measures to protect us and themselves from this kind of disaster....what is the $500k spent to do such compared to the BILLIONS this is costing them now.....?

Sweet... I've been blitzkrieged by Huggy.. although I don't think it's your best work.. let me give you another try...

Where does the Buck stop for Democrat Presidents.. you sweet lovable bowl of charm..

BP is at fault.....their negligence caused this....and probably the US GVT'S NEGLIGENCE in leasing to this private global company with one of the WORST records for disasters/spills.

There is NOTHING Fema can really do to stop this near gusher....there is nothing BP can do to stop it.....there is nothing the coast guard can do to stop it....the solution could be 6 months from now, in the mean time.....those southern states affected, economies will collapse and us tax payers will end up footing the bill....and footing the bill will not bring back to life the millions of sea creatures and coral reefs and birds that are already DEAD, or beaches that are already destroyed....

We are in big big big trouble and BP will go belly up....and nothing is an immediate remedy.....

Have fun making jest of this situation and your Obamarama drama lumpy.....to me, this is nothing to make light of....:(

this is the worst oil catastrophe in the history of our world....

Not so fast goddess! This time bomb may well be the tip of the iceburg. I think Obama should order an immediate review of ALL safety regulations that could lead to any possible disaster in the country. Bush and Cheney had eight years to fuck things up. Hundreds of "mole" regulators have been installed in all kinds of critical places. It may seem real funny now but what if a nuclear plant goes wack? We need a thorough look at the places that could hurt us. NOW!

Oh, I couldn't agree more with you....

We definitely need to find out what went wrong, we definitely need to find out if there are other wells out there in unsafe states....etc.

But if we do find other private oil corps with unsafe wells, whose fault is it? our gvts or the private companies having the unsafe wells? Can private industry REALLY put the blame on anyone BUT themselves?

Can private industries REALLY BE TRUSTED WITH POLICING THEMSELVES as conservatives actually believe? These kind of things need discussing....and the fact that even if we did have our gvt police them, whose to say our gvt workers don't get paid off with sex, drugs, and rock n roll?

I used to think businesses would do the right thing and not take risks that could bring their companies down....but NOT anymore....NOT after the banking crisis and now not after this.....

care

oh boy oh boy....

Memo: Federal oil lease employees had sex with industry reps
Top watchdog at Interior says one agency rife with corruption
By DAVID IVANOVICH Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau
Sept. 11, 2008, 9:18AM

WASHINGTON — A program director allegedly snorts crystal meth off a toaster oven. A marketing supervisor sells sex toys to her employees, while senior executives allegedly rig contract bids for a pal.

Such is the culture the Interior Department's Inspector General says he found at the Minerals Management Service, the federal agency responsible for handling $8 billion a year in revenue from offshore oil and gas leases.

As lawmakers on Capitol Hill Wednesday were taking up bills that could throw open new areas offshore to oil and gas drilling, Inspector General Earl Devaney released a series of blistering, even lurid, reports on the alleged behavior of the federal employees who deal with those offshore operators.

Agency employees, a number of whom still work for the federal government, received frequent gifts from industry players, had sexual encounters with oil and gas company employees, consulted for energy firms on the side and threw contracts to friends, Devaney found.
Oil, sex & mon
ey: Federal agency accused of sleazy antics | | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

The problem is obviously bigger than BP. The controlling authority has cracks of it's own. he focus is containment, repair, and investigation of cause, in detail. There are other deep water rigs out there.

BP is at fault....PERIOD. Our gvt regulators may be at fault for taking bribes from oil industry personel, our gvt may be at fault for easing regulations, our gvt may have turned a blind eye to dangers.....BUT BP as a private company IS RESPONSIBLE for the ACTIONS they TOOK....which caused this catastrophe....the gvt regulators should not have to babysit BP or other oil industry corps down to the I-dotting and T-crossing.....BP should have taken measures to protect us and themselves from this kind of disaster....what is the $500k spent to do such compared to the BILLIONS this is costing them now.....?

I think what you're saying is just because the sheriff was drunk on payday, and in bed with a whore when the bank was robbed, its still the bank robber that took the town-folk's money.

Frankly, dear, I'm wondering why we pay the sheriff?

I think what you're saying is just because the sheriff was drunk on payday, and in bed with a whore when the bank was robbed, its still the bank robber that took the town-folk's money.

yep, that's what I am saying.....no one should hold a job, in the private sector or with the govt, that is NOT doing the job they are being paid for....

But ultimately, BP could have bought the whore for him and the alcohol to get drunk with as well.... :(

And yes halliburton might ALSO be negligent for their part in this catastrophe, BP did hire them though, and they in turn will also sue Halliburton for some of these damages.

yep, that's what I am saying.....no one should hold a job, in the private sector or with the govt, that is NOT doing the job they are being paid for....

But ultimately, BP could have bought the whore for him and the alcohol to get drunk with as well.... :(

And yes halliburton might ALSO be negligent for their part in this catastrophe, BP did hire them though, and they in turn will also sue Halliburton for some of these damages.

Meh........ our government is responsible for protecting US from harm. Our elected leaders hold the bureaucrats to standards.

BP and/or Halliburton be held accountable, and help pay for the cleanup, but the money will still come from us. Completely innocent people in both companies will lose their jobs, and go to work with rivals. Lawyers will get rich. Corporations will simply charge more for their services to pay the Lawyers. Oil prices will rise. We will turn down our thermostats during the winter, and pay more.

Meh........ our government is responsible for protecting US from harm. Our elected leaders hold the bureaucrats to standards.

BP and/or Halliburton be held accountable, and help pay for the cleanup, but the money will still come from us. Completely innocent people in both companies will lose their jobs, and go to work with rivals. Lawyers will get rich. Corporations will simply charge more for their services to pay the Lawyers. Oil prices will rise. We will turn down our thermostats during the winter, and pay more.

I don'y buy that BP or Haliburton are too big to fail in the same way that AIG was ...not that you said that. For one thing Haliburton was almost bakrupt before Cheney found the magic elixer in no bid contracts distributed in support of illegal wars of choice.. Haliburtons worth is fraudulent. BP is nothing sacred either. Most of the gas stations they own were soaked up in mergers and take overs. There are plenty of companies that would love to go to a BP garage sale. If the sale of thier bankrupted companys assets happens to them...good riddance.. The cost of doing business gets cheaper for the new players.

I don'y buy that BP or Haliburton are too big to fail in the same way that AIG was ...not that you said that. For one thing Haliburton was almost bakrupt before Cheney found the magic elixer in no bid contracts distributed in support of illegal wars of choice.. Haliburtons worth is fraudulent. BP is nothing sacred either. Most of the gas stations they own were soaked up in mergers and take overs. There are plenty of companies that would love to go to a BP garage sale. If the sale of thier bankrupted companys assets happens to them...good riddance.. The cost of doing business gets cheaper for the new players.

I agree that their assets will be sold off....but won't that possibly make the ones left that gobbled them up, too big to fail? there has been some deregulation that allowed the oil and gas industry mergers the past couple of decades already....

BP is the Brit's problem, the british gvt might bail them for themselves perhaps

so if our gvt, our congress, deregulated and or ignored the newest technology available that could have possible prevented this catastrophe, due to being lobbied by the oil industry to turn a blind eye....THEY are to blame?

Well.. at least Obama has the SWAT team working on it and made all those preparations to control it..

Ok, I read that a few days ago. I don't understand. Why are SWAT teams being dispatched? That doesn't make sense unless there is some form of threat.

It's a little known fact that SWAT teams are skilled at swimming in oil slicked salt water.

In fact, it is such a little know fact, that no link exists.

BP will not pay all damages. Obama Lied AGAIN.

Federal law may limit BP liability in oil spill
A federal law may limit how much BP has to pay for damages such as lost wages and economic suffering in the Gulf Coast oil spill, despite President Barack Obama's assurances that taxpayers will not be on the hook.

A law passed in response to the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska makes BP responsible for cleanup costs. But the law sets a $75 million limit on other kinds of damages.

The fact is whether or not we like it, the owner of the rig is responsible unless the lease agreement states otherwise. Just shouting about BP and blaming "big oil" because it somehow justifies an environmental position is not justice nor legal....

BP will not pay all damages. Obama Lied AGAIN.

Federal law may limit BP liability in oil spill
A federal law may limit how much BP has to pay for damages such as lost wages and economic suffering in the Gulf Coast oil spill, despite President Barack Obama's assurances that taxpayers will not be on the hook.

A law passed in response to the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska makes BP responsible for cleanup costs. But the law sets a $75 million limit on other kinds of damages.

so BP is lying when they say they will pay for everything, and them being all over the news claiming they will pay for all the damages is a LIE on BP's part?

so if our gvt, our congress, deregulated and or ignored the newest technology available that could have possible prevented this catastrophe, due to being lobbied by the oil industry to turn a blind eye....THEY are to blame?

Its not as if Oil Producers had to crawl over any Interior Dept. dead bodies to get their way.

From your article, "Inspector General Earl Devaney released a series of blistering, even lurid, reports on the alleged behavior of the federal employees who deal with those offshore operators."

But, you can BLAME anyone: Consumers will pay for more ineffectual government, and higher energy prices.

The fact is whether or not we like it, the owner of the rig is responsible unless the lease agreement states otherwise. Just shouting about BP and blaming "big oil" because it somehow justifies an environmental position is not justice nor legal....

I've seen several reports that BP's insurance will pay for most of the damages. Why would they if BP wasn't liable?

I saw a report this morning with BP claiming they were not responsible..but in the same breath saying they would accept responsibility. If they are not responsible what sense is thier insurance or they agreeing publicly to pay for the damages?

At this point public relations is idiotic.

I've seen several reports that BP's insurance will pay for most of the damages. Why would they if BP wasn't liable?

I saw a report this morning with BP claiming they were not responsible..but in the same breath saying they would accept responsibility. If they are not responsible what sense is thier insurance or they agreeing publicly to pay for the damages?

Insurance companies will recoup the loss with higher rates, passed to all oil producers, passed to all oil consumers.

Thanks Dept of Interior.

Insurance companies will recoup the loss with higher rates, passed to all oil producers, passed to all oil consumers.

Thanks Dept of Interior.

the dept of interior is responsible for the hike in insurance rates for the oil companies that could spill oil????????????????????????????????????

Well the real reason is PR.... Seriously, whether or not they are found liable or even know they are, they are going to PR their asses off right now...

Personally, I think they will be held most responsible, followed by the owners of the rig, and then Haliburton. THis is a nightmare for any companies image, and BP can't take another hit by fighting this in court, no matter what the legal arrangement was... If they got any sense they will say we are sorry and kiss every ass they see between central america and Florida. It might not be justified, nor correct in a legal sense, but its the only chance they have to eek out some dignity...

They will pay, people still use and need oil and upcoming cap and trade will only make oil more profitable. They know they can make it all back in time, but a bad image? That stays with the public and in their minds for generations.... Stock holders may leave and pull out over a loss of profits, but they will be back when those profits return. But a bad image and a loss of profits will make investors run and never come back... Again they will pay for it, and then some.

They will pay until broke, and then they will be bought out and their infra structure salvaged to form a new company just like it. or they will merge with another one with assets to handle this. Or since they are British Petroleum they will be saved by their government.

So we can stop the finger pointing and crying over it. Its done and cannot be undone. All we can do is watch them pay for it....

Thanks Dept of Interior.

the dept of interior is responsible for the hike in insurance rates for the oil companies that could spill oil????????????????????????????????????

Yes.

Our Mission: Protecting America’s Great Outdoors and Powering Our Future

The U.S. Department of the Interior protects America’s natural resources and heritage, honors our cultures and tribal communities, and supplies the energy to power our future.

For what do you think the Dept of Interior IS responsible?

Forum List

Back