World Wind Turbines To Cross 300,000 Megawatt Mark

Good, I'm relieved. The guy who can't read a simple table and now can't do math is an ELECTRICIAN -- not an electrical engineer..
How the fuck would you know?

You couldn't answer a simple question. Do you know what that means? Troll. You're nothing but a fuckin' troll. Because trolls don't answer direct questions.

The world is safe except for his clients.
More jibberish.

The 5th. Next question.

A subject you are an expert at.

I wasn't off at all.

If you ain't got the chops to understand what I said, that's not my problem.

The rest of your ramblings about opening breakers and crap indicates you have no idea how long it takes a nat gas peaker plant to fire up or shut down in response to a flaky wind production. All that energy and heat ends up being wasted and contributing to wear and tear on the generators that MUST BE ACTIVELY backing up wind every minute of operation...
I already explained why you're FOS here.

Maybe you should hire a consultant to explain it to you in layman's terms.

And those COSTS and the costs of the guys at the fossil fuel plants OUGHT TO BE CHARGED to wind. But they'll just show up on your bill..........
And more jibberish.

That -- has to be one of the weakest tactical retreats in my entire USMB experience...

How would I know?? Any Electrical Engineer I know wouldn't pose a test question to a poser about light industrial electrical wiring.
Ever seen the course requirements for an EE degree? Of course you haven't...

Your original statement at this post.. http://www.usmessageboard.com/7515363-post31.html

Your facts are a little off. Wind energy makes up at least 20% of energy demand.

Ludicrously wrong.. By nearly 10 times.. Words have meanings. Those words are wrong.

Last edited:
That -- has to be one of the weakest tactical retreats in my entire USMB experience...

How would I know?? Any Electrical Engineer I know wouldn't pose a test question to a poser about light industrial electrical wiring.
Ever seen the course requirements for an EE degree? Of course you haven't...
You just keep digging yourself a deeper hole. The question had nothing to do with "light industrial wiring". It had nothing to do with wiring at all. GFI is a piece of equipment (factory mounted) that goes in a main switchboard that is over a 1000A and over 150V to ground. It's more like a code question. Now that I've basically given you the answer, can you tell me what NEC Article requires this? I'm giving you every opportunity to prove your electrical chops, but you ain't doin' too good.

Ludicrously wrong.. By nearly 10 times.. Words have meanings. Those words are wrong.
I've already proved this point.

Smart turbines coming online.

GE Adds Energy Storage to Its Brilliant Wind Energy Turbine | The Energy Collective

Networked, always looking at the wind forecast, and with a moderate sized battery bank attached. Meaning they can talk to the grid operators and guarantee them a certain steady power output for the next hour, which makes the grid operators much happier.

This should be REQUIRED like it is in Japan.. Not left to the grid operators to sort out. Japan values engineering over political goals.

An hour of storage means less wasted pollution and energy from the primary plant. But it doesn't change the overall sketchy operation even with a forecast..

You don't risk leaving 100,000 fans at a Monday night NFL game in the dark -- even with a forecast. An hour of storage isn't gonna help if you're at 15% capacity during the game.

That's what civilized grown-up societies demand..

And the hour of storage adds appreciable cost to the wind mill.. And a waste stream of generous proportions..

Last edited:
Let's say your home has a 200 amp service. Further, let's say your 200 amp service represents all the power generation of the entire planet.

Wind's share of your service represents a power draw of 0.36 watts.

Do you know what you can do with 0.36 watts?

Nothing.

So you go turn off all the power in your house and wait for wind to light you back up. Meanwhile, the rest of us will enjoy lights, electronic devices, appliances, and air conditioning.
Your facts are a little off. Wind energy makes up at least 20% of energy demand.
As has been pointed out to you, you're reading that wrong. The US has 21.2% of installed nameplate capacity of wind power generation.

And worldwide, windpower generates only a small percentage of power. From the Wiki link:
At the end of 2012, worldwide nameplate capacity of wind-powered generators was 282 gigawatts (GW), growing by 44 GW over the preceding year.[44] According to the World Wind Energy Association, an industry organization, in 2010 wind power generated 430 TWh or about 2.5% of worldwide electricity usage,[48] up from 1.5% in 2008 and 0.1% in 1997.[49] Between 2005 and 2010 the average annual growth in new installations was 27.6 percent.[50] Wind power market penetration is expected to reach 3.35 percent by 2013 and 8 percent by 2018.[50][51]​

Nowhere near the 20% you claim.

In your previous post about wind being up to "20% of grid demand" -- that's an assertion with facts not in evidence..
Bullshit! That is the recorded US output for 2012.

It says it COULD be 20% of grid demand, but not without total 100% back up from another RELIABLE source of power.. What RELIABLE source do you want want to back it up with? And how much you gonna pay that RELIABLE source to sit idle for 20 minutes at a time while the wind blows???
It doesn't sit "idley" by. When you're using wind power, you are putting energy back on to the grid, which, by law, utility company's must give you a rebate for that energy.
It sits idly by when the wind's not blowing.
Listen dude, I've been an electrical engineer for the last 30 years. Do you really wanna go down this road?
Oh, the road that wind up at BilloCan'tReadAChartsville?

Forum List

Back