Word-Faith Churches

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Oscar Wao, May 17, 2010.

1. Oscar Wao

Oscar Wao Victory is Mine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    How many of you are/were a part of these sorts of churches?

I was a member of one for the first 15 years of my life, so I'd like to see the perspective of either former or current WOFers...just for some interesting discussion.

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,152
    I've never even heard of Word-Faith Churches before.

3. Oscar Wao

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Health and Wealth, Name it and Claim It, TBN, those sorts of things...

4. uptownlivin90

uptownlivin90 Rebelious Youngin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +384
    I've attended a church that used the terms "name it claim it" but they were simply Pentecostal and were less "Word of Faith" and more "fire baptized/spirit filled" and all that good stuff. I attended an Apostolic Holiness church until about age 17.

Most word of faith churches are pentecostal/charismatic, but not all pentecostal churches are word of faith.

I'm neither now though. So...

5. Oscar Wao

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Yours was probably moderate.

Mine would probably be about a 5 on a scale of 1-10 on "craziness" in WOFness, but they still could be quite the NIACI'ers.

They would have select Sundays to give "special offerings" based on OT verses, even though it is/was an archaic practice practiced in OT cultures. The pastor also said it would be good for blessings for the year.

I thought that was disgusting. The more WOF it got, the less spiritual I got. I had a crisis of faith in '04, and I stopped going to church as often. I recovered at the end of 2004, but in 2005, I hardly went and Easter was the last time I went.

2 years later, I joined a Reformed Church and this is better than what I previously experienced.

However, I do miss the upbeat worship. :(

6. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Bunch of bullshit as far as I'm concerned.........

Fake it till you make it? Nope.....you've gotta do the real stuff and claim it.

Always wondered why someone would like a church that makes them go against themselves though.........

7. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Never heard of it

Tell me--is this where christians jump up and down on stage yelling "gvie until it hurts" or pastors with funny names like Rev Mo Money or something or other?

I visited churches like that! They are fun--even more fun if you try to escape from the building while they are having service!!

"Escape from Euphoria"! Can you get out before the minister see you! I betcha can't!!:tongue:

PS:Wait is this it?
    http://www.intotruth.org/wof/tract3.html

Boy--Christianity is starting to spiral into a myriad of differing thoughts.

Soon, there will be no true faith, but a smorgasboard of faith in which you can pick and choose from.

P.S. I was ok with it being a religion until I got to number 9 in the list. Deny sickness? This is nothing more than that old scourge called Faith healing.

It is documented in the bible that God may not come to your rescue even if you believe so greatly that you die for it. Remember--the martyrs died, no Holy rescue of the physical!! So put faith healing last if you must rely on treatment for your illness.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  8. Oscar Wao

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    That's the issue.

I pray for healing for anyone who is sick, but that doesn't license us to deny reality either...

Same with financial issues and what-not.

9. uptownlivin90

uptownlivin90 Rebelious Youngin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +384
    I grew up Apostolic Pentecostal. The church I attend was a mainstream pentecostal church most word of faith churches are considered "charismatic" rather than "Pentecostal". I was more off on the "holiness" branch of Pentecostalism that emphasized personal holiness and sanctification and the following of certain traditions (women don't wear pants, no long hair for men, no drinking, no cussing, no fornication, no divorce and remarriage, etc). My church also stressed baptism in Jesus Name and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking in tongues.

We had some word of faith teachings, of course though like most every pentecostal church does. Faith healing was a big one and there were hints of prosperity doctrine but it didn't go any further than "God will take care of those who are faithful to his will".

I'm currently out of pentecostalism all together. I still believe in Jesus name baptism though and attend a Church of God Seventh Day church.

10. Oscar Wao

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    That "Holiness," thing, did that apply to stuff like rock music, movie theater attendance, etc.?