Wonder Why Most Blacks Support Vouchers?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Annie, May 28, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Why the GOP has dropped the ball on this, is another question I ask myself:

http://educationwonk.blogspot.com/2006/05/wonkitorial-lessons-to-be-learned-from.html

2. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Catholic schools rock! :rock:

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    So do many Christian schools, Jewish schools. Problem is, most are not located in poverty areas, the Catholic schools are. Nature of the institution. :cheers2:

4. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    My daughter just graduated from a Private school. It may come as a surprise to many but, one of the graduation requirements was/is acceptance into a college or university. I don’t think public schools will ever hold their students to that high standard.

BTW...there is always a waiting list for Admission.

5. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    http://www.blackcommentator.com/7_voucher_tricksters_pr.html

Read the rest at http://www.blackcommentator.com/7_voucher_tricksters_pr.html

6. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    That article isn't a rebuttal, it's a paranoid rant with more conspiracy theories than "Fahrenheit 9/11", "The DaVinci Code" and "The Bourne Identity" together. Of course, what can one expect from a website that advertises books with titles like "From Ike to Mao and Beyond: My Journey from Mainstream America to Revolutionary Communist"? Anyone that writes for website that espouses the idea that a bloody butcher like Mao Tse Tung is a great guy and worthy of emulation can't be taken seriously.

The real reason that school choice is opposed by the Left is that private schools do not have unionized teachers. Teachers' unions fund the campaigns of many democrats. The teachers' unions are afraid that if people are given the choice to use private schools over public schools, people would take their kids out of public school in droves and their membership (and dues money) would go south. The real conspiracy is between unions and the democrat left. They've cashiered our children's futures for power and influence. Parenthetically, it should come as no surprise that unions favor amnesty for illegal immigrants, they need the members.

Those unions are all about the interest of their leadership and maybe their members, but the good of the children isn't even a consideration.

SAT scores have plummeted since 1963, the first year that teachers became unionized.

Children from private schools score better than children from public school.

The teacher's unions have opposed just about every measure to bring competency tests for teachers, standardized tests for students and making teachers more accountable.

America spends more money per student than most countries, yet our students rank lower and lower each year.

7. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Why has the gop dropped the ball? They're complete sellouts.

8. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Is that true?

With the exception of Jewish schools, I think there is some sort of mandatory ratio here, depending on faith population per area of course.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Not here, not that I've ever heard of. Catholic schools are regulated by the diocese, which will support schools in poverty areas, using funds from wealthier parishes.

My school, is totally supported by the parish and tuition, no funds from the diocese. It's questionable how long this school may remain open. Between the rising costs of gas, electricity, insurance, (both health and liability) tuition is jumping from $3600 per student-with break for siblings, to $4300 with no sibling breaks. There will still be 10% 'free tuition' students.

To the best of my knowledge, other denominational parochial schools and private schools are solely funded, meaning THAT church and tuition must support the school. The nature of the Catholic organization allows the redistribution of $$ to keep schools in low income areas going.

10. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    What is really misleading, intentionally misleading IMO, is to always connect “Private” schools with “religion”. This is the tactic the left and the unions use over and over, and it’s simply not true. But then, if you want to ignore test scores and the public wishes you just gotta make shit up.