CDZ Women should embrace both owning and carrying guns as acts of personal empowerment.

It's always the same with the radical right: prey on our fears. Except we ain't buying it.

I'm pretty sure the radical left does the same thing. If I had a daughter I'd advise her to carry a small gun in her purse and have it ready to use if needed. It ain't about personal empowerment so much as personal safety. You can get a small .380 semi auto pistol with 7 shots that is really light to carry and shoot if you have to. And one other thing, about personal empowerment, don't be thinking just cuz you got a gun doesn't mean you can or should go places that are unsafe. Which BTW is good advice for males too.
Why do the cops always tell us that the vast majority of guns carried for defense end up being taken from the victim and used on them? WHY do cops always say that? My guess is, because it's true. It's what they see when they mop up afterward.

They don't....in fact, actual research that has asked the police if they believe concealed carry is helpful shows they think it is.....they say nothing of what you say they say, in fact, they say the opposite....

What you keep hearing is chiefs of police, who work for politicians parroting the view of those politicians....not what actual cops say....

Here....actual police officers....15,000 of them surveyed show you don't know what you are talking about...

Police Gun Control Survey: Are legally-armed citizens the best solution to gun violence?

And when it comes to finding ways to reduce gun violence and large scale shootings, most cops say a federal ban on so-called “assault weapons” isn’t the answer.

More than 91 percent of respondents say it would either have no effect or a negative effect in reducing violent crime. This is an overwhelming response by those whose job it is to actually deal with this issue on the front lines.

Instead, it is interesting to note that many respondents consider armed citizens as a potential asset in reducing the carnage from a mass murder situation; proactive choices dominate over gun and magazine restrictions and bans.

More than 91 percent of respondents support the concealed carry of firearms by civilians who have not been convicted of a felony and/or not been deemed psychologically/medically incapable.

A full 86 percent feel that casualties would have been reduced or avoided in recent tragedies like Newtown and Aurora if a legally-armed citizen was present (casualties reduced: 80 percent; avoided altogether: 60 percent).

It's always the same with the radical right: prey on our fears. Except we ain't buying it.

I'm pretty sure the radical left does the same thing. If I had a daughter I'd advise her to carry a small gun in her purse and have it ready to use if needed. It ain't about personal empowerment so much as personal safety. You can get a small .380 semi auto pistol with 7 shots that is really light to carry and shoot if you have to. And one other thing, about personal empowerment, don't be thinking just cuz you got a gun doesn't mean you can or should go places that are unsafe. Which BTW is good advice for males too.
Why do the cops always tell us that the vast majority of guns carried for defense end up being taken from the victim and used on them? WHY do cops always say that? My guess is, because it's true. It's what they see when they mop up afterward.

I don't know where you are getting your information from...but it isn't even remotely true...here, even Police Chiefs support law abiding gun owners being able to carry guns for self defense....

http://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/NACOP-surveyresults-2016.pdf

And here is a look at the survey....

..New Survey of Chiefs of Police and Sheriffs in the United States Shows Strong Support for Concealed Carry and Gun Ownership - Crime Prevention Research Center

86.4% of the US’s Chiefs of Police and Sheriffs “support nationwide recognition of state issued concealed weapon permits.”

76% of those same heads of departments believe that “qualied, law-abiding armed citizens help law enforcement reduce violent criminal activity.”

And how are you going to assess the mental health of every person in the country to know when to raid their homes and see if they have guns?
If family or l.e. can report, it is better than no one being able to do anything.
Are you afraid they will call you crazy, or what?

So just some anonymous phone call with no proof or medical evidence is good enough for you?
Those calls are not anonymous. Every caller gives their ID & every call is tracked & recorded.

And what is the punishment for a false report?

How long does it take for a person falsely accused to get their property back?

Will the police provide 24/7 protection while the people are disarmed?

Will the police or the caller be liable if the person accused is attacked while disarmed?

Criminal charge false report!

Until court fails to prove you mentally defective.

They can shove you in jail if you are to scared to be free of gun.

Yes.

So someone says you are crazy.

You are investigate and judged to be so, by who?

You appeal, pay for expert opinion who says you meet the criteria to own a gun.

The State again gives you a hearing and judges you now sane.

Who pays for these hearings and professional opinions.

Starting to feel a whole lot like a poll tax.

Sure you get to have this right, as long as you can afford it.

Speaking of preying on our fears....

Is this speculation or do you have a link with any data?

I guess it’s true if you allow, within the statistic, that the criminal and the victim are one and the same and the crime is Suicide.

It’s that kind of dishonesty in debate I find abhorrent.

Yes. Suicide by ones own gun hyper inflates the statistic.

mmmm I have never asked that women not be able to carry a handgun. Pretty damned sure about that, as a matter of fact.

if she lived in NYC she would have to show cause to some NYPD dimwit.

That's what people like you want for the rest of the country.
What I want is for ALL prospective gun owners to be vetted by a background check system that contains complete and up to date information. I also want a system that allows LE to intervene and confiscate guns from someone who has become unstable.
And no military-style assault weapons like AR's.
I don't know what anyone else wants, but just so you know.
And how are you going to assess the mental health of every person in the country to know when to raid their homes and see if they have guns?
If family or l.e. can report, it is better than no one being able to do anything.

So just some anonymous phone call with no proof or medical evidence is good enough for you?
You ought to learn the facts about ERPO before you spout off any more about it. ERPO works. Were Cruz's "rights" more important than all the lives he took and changed forever?

The National Crime Victimization Survey is the primary source of information on the nature and extent of criminal victimization in the United States. Some 90,000 households, comprising about 160,000 individuals, are surveyed twice a year.

Along with Sara Solnick, a professor of economics at the University of Vermont, I analyzed the data for the five-year period from 2007 to 2011, looking at more than 14,000 crimes in which there was some degree of personal contact between the victim and perpetrator — incidents in which a self-protective action by the victim was theoretically possible (for example, assaults and robberies).
Almost two-thirds of the people in the U.S. population live in homes without guns, and there is no evidence that the inhabitants of these homes are at greater risk of being robbed, injured or killed by criminals compared with citizens in homes with guns. Instead, the evidence is overwhelming that a gun in the home increases the likelihood not only that a household member will be shot accidentally, but also that someone in the home will die in a suicide or homicide.

Does owning a gun make you safer?

They don't....in fact, actual research that has asked the police if they believe concealed carry is helpful shows they think it is.....they say nothing of what you say they say, in fact, they say the opposite....

What you keep hearing is chiefs of police, who work for politicians parroting the view of those politicians....not what actual cops say....

Here....actual police officers....15,000 of them surveyed show you don't know what you are talking about...

Police Gun Control Survey: Are legally-armed citizens the best solution to gun violence?

And when it comes to finding ways to reduce gun violence and large scale shootings, most cops say a federal ban on so-called “assault weapons” isn’t the answer.

More than 91 percent of respondents say it would either have no effect or a negative effect in reducing violent crime. This is an overwhelming response by those whose job it is to actually deal with this issue on the front lines.

Instead, it is interesting to note that many respondents consider armed citizens as a potential asset in reducing the carnage from a mass murder situation; proactive choices dominate over gun and magazine restrictions and bans.

More than 91 percent of respondents support the concealed carry of firearms by civilians who have not been convicted of a felony and/or not been deemed psychologically/medically incapable.

A full 86 percent feel that casualties would have been reduced or avoided in recent tragedies like Newtown and Aurora if a legally-armed citizen was present (casualties reduced: 80 percent; avoided altogether: 60 percent).
Okay, Guy, but that isn't the only study in town.
More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes, Evidence Shows

I'm really surprised you haven't heard this before. It's been said for years.

The National Crime Victimization Survey is the primary source of information on the nature and extent of criminal victimization in the United States. Some 90,000 households, comprising about 160,000 individuals, are surveyed twice a year.

Along with Sara Solnick, a professor of economics at the University of Vermont, I analyzed the data for the five-year period from 2007 to 2011, looking at more than 14,000 crimes in which there was some degree of personal contact between the victim and perpetrator — incidents in which a self-protective action by the victim was theoretically possible (for example, assaults and robberies).
Almost two-thirds of the people in the U.S. population live in homes without guns, and there is no evidence that the inhabitants of these homes are at greater risk of being robbed, injured or killed by criminals compared with citizens in homes with guns. Instead, the evidence is overwhelming that a gun in the home increases the likelihood not only that a household member will be shot accidentally, but also that someone in the home will die in a suicide or homicide.

Does owning a gun make you safer?

All you needed to read was this

Instead, the evidence is overwhelming that a gun in the home increases the likelihood not only that a household member will be shot accidentally, but also that someone in the home will die in a suicide or homicide.”

1. Of course you would be more likely to be shot acidently in the home if you have a gun. If you have no Gun there is no possibility of being shot. No gun, no accidental shooting.

And this surprises anyone?

It’s like saying, people who never leave their home are less likely to be killed in a drunk driving accident.

Good lord!

2. Gang members ALL HAVE GUNS IN THEIR HOMES, AS DO DRUG PUSHERS. They make up THE MAJORITY OF HOMOCIDES especially in large Metro areas and hyperinflate the statistic.

AGAIN, IF THIS AMAZES ANYONE, YOU ARE BRAIN DEAD!

I worked for a Sheriffs office and have two really good LEO friends. They’ve never indicated it.

What I want is for ALL prospective gun owners to be vetted by a background check system that contains complete and up to date information. I also want a system that allows LE to intervene and confiscate guns from someone who has become unstable.

Those calls are not anonymous. Every caller gives their ID & every call is tracked & recorded.
Really?

Even if I call from a burner phone and give a false name?

Can you spell

N A I V E ?

You ought to learn the facts about ERPO before you spout off any more about it. ERPO works. Were Cruz's "rights" more important than all the lives he took and changed forever?

So you're OK with a mere accusation being the standard by which your rights are removed?

Guns are not the only answer. Think of how many crimes against women would be prevented if all girls were taught martial arts. This would severely cut down on domestic violence as well as street violence. One of the most prepared woman I have ever known is less than 5' tall and has a black belt. She can put anyone on his ass, even someone over 6'.

I worked for a Sheriffs office and have two really good LEO friends. They’ve never indicated it.
I suppose you could ask them. Our local leo's don't have much experience with gun crime, thank God. So I don't know what they would say here. It certainly wouldn't be a good idea for a woman like me with no training or experience to go out and get a handgun for protection.

So you're OK with a mere accusation being the standard by which your rights are removed?
I told you to learn what you were talking about. When are you going to?

Guns are not the only answer. Think of how many crimes against women would be prevented if all girls were taught martial arts. This would severely cut down on domestic violence as well as street violence. One of the most prepared woman I have ever known is less than 5' tall and has a black belt. She can put anyone on his ass, even someone over 6'.

Sure, even if he has a gun

Ever heard the saying “he brought a knife to a gun fight”

I suppose you could ask them. Our local leo's don't have much experience with gun crime, thank God. So I don't know what they would say here. It certainly wouldn't be a good idea for a woman like me with no training or experience to go out and get a handgun for protection.

Ok, but that’s your choice and no one should deny you if that choice

And what is the punishment for a false report?

How long does it take for a person falsely accused to get their property back?

Will the police provide 24/7 protection while the people are disarmed?

Will the police or the caller be liable if the person accused is attacked while disarmed?

Criminal charge false report!

Until court fails to prove you mentally defective.

They can shove you in jail if you are to scared to be free of gun.

Yes.

So someone says you are crazy.

You are investigate and judged to be so, by who?

You appeal, pay for expert opinion who says you meet the criteria to own a gun.

The State again gives you a hearing and judges you now sane.

Who pays for these hearings and professional opinions.

Starting to feel a whole lot like a poll tax.

Sure you get to have this right, as long as you can afford it.
Not if total government disarming is limited to less than 6 months without trial & less than 9% of the population. They would have to restore gun rights to the least crazy in order to take from another, and rights will be automatically restored after 6 months.

Sure, even if he has a gun

Ever heard the saying “he brought a knife to a gun fight”

A gun might be useful against an armed assailant. But many who attack women are not armed. They may be acquaintances, boyfriends, husbands who are not armed with anything but a nasty temper. Guns may be a useful tool to have in a home invasion, but don't pretend that guns are the entire answer. Educate all girls and women in martial arts. A simple flip might be enough to keep Mr. Over-Amorous or Raging Nasty Boy away. There were a couple of times that I'd wished that I knew how to do it. Women must be taught how to fight, in general, and not discouraged by anyone from doing it. Our society has always trained girls from their earliest years to be wimps and act only as terrified prey. Time to change this sickness.

Forum List

Back