Woman who miscarried charged with a crime.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
Rush Limbaugh used to call such stories a “See I told you so” moment.

Brittany Watts was still hooked to an IV, sick for almost a week from a potentially fatal miscarriage, when a detective from the Warren Police Department in Ohio stepped into her hospital room. He assured her that she wasn’t in any trouble.

For more than an hour, Detective Nick Carney interviewed Watts, 33, about the details of that morning and the whereabouts of the nearly 22-week-old fetus that was declared nonviable two days earlier. As Watts described miscarrying in her bathroom, a nurse at Mercy Health — St. Joseph Warren Hospital rubbed her shoulders and told her everything would be okay, Watts told The Washington Post in a series of text messages.

Two weeks later, Carney arrested Watts on charges of felony abuse of a corpse for how she handled the remains from her pregnancy. If indicted and found guilty, she faces up to a year in prison along with a fine of up to $2,500, her lawyer said.

If Republicans cared about the child half as much as they did the Fetus we would have free medical and the best funded schools in the world for the kids.

But they don’t care. Not even half as much.

The lessons learned. First. Never trust a Republican legislator. Second. Never trust a cop. Ever.

Two weeks later, Carney arrested Watts on charges of felony abuse of a corpse for how she handled the remains from her pregnancy. If indicted and found guilty, she faces up to a year in prison along with a fine of up to $2,500, her lawyer said.
This is Republican governance – authoritarian, cruel, dystopian.

The right’s war on women continues.

Brittany Watts was still hooked to an IV, sick for almost a week from a potentially fatal miscarriage, when a detective from the Warren Police Department in Ohio stepped into her hospital room. He assured her that she wasn’t in any trouble.

For more than an hour, Detective Nick Carney interviewed Watts, 33, about the details of that morning and the whereabouts of the nearly 22-week-old fetus that was declared nonviable two days earlier. As Watts described miscarrying in her bathroom, a nurse at Mercy Health — St. Joseph Warren Hospital rubbed her shoulders and told her everything would be okay, Watts told The Washington Post in a series of text messages.

If Republicans cared about the child half as much as they did the Fetus we would have free medical and the best funded schools in the world for the kids.

The lessons learned. First. Never trust a Republican legislator. Second. Never trust a cop. Ever.
“I am grieving the loss of my baby,” she told The Post this week. “I feel anger, frustration and, at times, shameful.”

Yeah, tossing your baby outside in the trash behind the shed shows real concern.

I hope she gets 25 years.

Never trust any politician regardless of their party affiliation.

The hospital refused to treat her issue so she went home.

Her lawyer, Traci Timko, said Watts sat for eight hours at Mercy Health-St. Joseph’s awaiting care on the eve of her pregnancy reaching 22 weeks, before leaving without being treated.

Unacceptable.

Black Ohio woman criminally charged after miscarriage underscores the perils of pregnancy post-Roe
Sounds like a common waiting room problem. Eight hours isn't even that long.

Her crime was felony abuse of a corpse. Did she wrap up the remains and toss it in the trash. Human remains are generally treated with some kind of respect.

Sounds like a common waiting room problem. Eight hours isn't even that long.

While that can be unfortunately true and unacceptable if you read the link it was because the hospital was afraid to treat her.

Her crime was felony abuse of a corpse. Did she wrap up the remains and toss it in the trash. Human remains are generally treated with some kind of respect.

While true there would have been those who try and prosecute her in either case.

What does this story have to do with Republicans?

“I am grieving the loss of my baby,” she told The Post this week. “I feel anger, frustration and, at times, shameful.”

Yeah, tossing your baby outside in the trash behind the shed shows real concern.

I hope she gets 25 years.
Fetal material isn't a corpse. Do they demand a funeral service for a miscarriage in Ohio?
What is the proper and legal way to dispose of a miscarriage in Ohio?

Fetal material isn't a corpse. Do they demand a funeral service for a miscarriage in Ohio?
they dont demand a funeral for anyone,,
the disposal of human remains is not a bucket behind the house,,

FFS a hospital cant even do that with an appendix when they remove them,, ;et alone full human remains,,

they dont demand a funeral for anyone,,
the disposal of human remains is not a bucket behind the house,,

FFS a hospital cant even do that with an appendix when they remove them,, ;et alone full human remains,,
What should she have done?

While that can be unfortunately true and unacceptable if you read the link it was because the hospital was afraid to treat her.

While true there would have been those who try and prosecute her in either case.
That statement was from the woman's attorney, not the hospital.
Even the remains from miscarriages are treated with respect. A friend of mine miscarried at 5 months. The remains were released to a funeral company who held a memorial service, cremated the remains. The ashes were given to the parents who scattered them at sea.

I would start with 911 and ask for medical assistance,, she did just miscarry her child,,
I asked for the legal way to dispose of a miscarriage. There must be a section of the Ohio penal code that deals with improper disposal of fetal material in order to charge her. To my knowledge no state in the nation recognizes fetal personhood.

Forum List

Back