With all the acrimony about sexual "this & that," why no calls for ending statutes of limitations?

Roy Moore. Bill Clinton. Bill Cosby. Donald Trump. All them have been accused sexually offending multiple people. Many of their accusers, regardless of their reason(s) for doing so, have come forward after the statute of limitations pertaining to the claim(s) they made have expired.

Should there be a statute that allows sexual predators to get away with it? Plenty of criminal acts are subject to no statute of limitations. That sex crimes are is, IMO, given that women seem to most often be the victims of them, an example of cultural/systemic diminution in the status our society accords to women. I think it's wrong that we countenance such a thing. I feel the same way about crimes committed against minors.

For all that of late we've been hearing about sexual harassment and other gender-focused misdeeds, I've heard scant little about eliminating the statutes of limitations that prevent us from trying alleged perpetrators. Why that is I cannot say. To my mind, sooner is better than later as goes trying such cases, but late is better is nonetheless better and fairer than never, which as goes some of the alleged victims, is where we find ourselves.

This isn't just a matter to be seen from the standpoint of securing justice for alleged victims'. The alleged miscreants deserve the opportunity to once and for all, and with regard to any given allegation, have their day in court to clear their name and defend their reputations.

I would be fine with term limits/

Up to 10% of rape allegations are fake on the order of Duke Lacrosse and Brian Banks fake claims. journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/107780121 At least two of the complaints against Al Franken are wholly fabricated. The anonymous women aren't identified and the acts are only alleged to be inappropriate.

Now, today, we have something quite different. The act actually occurred but are nonsense. Roy Moore sent a congratulations card to a graduate. He married a 23 year old woman that he met when she was 15. Trump tried to kiss a date. Franks talked about surrogacy, never realizing how stupid his staff was. Some judge made an inappropriate comment and after thinking it over for ten years some woman decided to be horrified.

It is easy to see why in very primitive times women were forcibly given hysterectomy to calm down the hysteria.

You’re use a blog with no credibility to support your gross and deplorable stance against women who are abused.

You have frequently posted your support for Trump’s provable lies over facts. You have no creditability whatsoever. It’s not surprising that you support liars bigots and rapists. You are just that kind of person.

I would also like to add that even if false rape allegations make up 10% of the allegations of rape, that means that 90% of such allegations are true. Tipsy would dismiss ALL allegations of rape and sexual harassment, letting all rapists go free to protect the one guy in 10 who is falsely accused.

Less than 1/3 of rapes are reported. Even fewer of those which are reported go to trial. Statistics I’ve seen suggest that only 1 or 2 percent of rapes result in an arrest and conviction. 98% of the time the guy gets away with it.

So if 90% of all rape reports are true, shouldn’t we be treating accusers, the overwhelming majority of which are telling the truth, as honest rather than assuming they’re all lying unless they have hard evidence to the contrary?

Forum List

Back