Winters A Coming

Noticeable temp drop this weekend here. Few weeks to frost. Get your plants in that need to be in. My winter garden is slowly coming up. Will be a few months before it is bountiful.

We had a light freeze last night. Did not expect it to get so cold. Hope my winter squash is okay.

90 last Monday and ran the AC. Dropped fifty degrees and last night fired up the furnace.

Seems like a good fall type day to burn some brush with a few bumps of Fireball.

Fall colors in Central MN at about 50%.

Last year heavy snow hit in late October and didn't leave until April, we got 7 feet for season and Duluth got over 10ft. It was a long winter. Hope we have more fall this year.

Noticeable temp drop this weekend here. Few weeks to frost. Get your plants in that need to be in. My winter garden is slowly coming up. Will be a few months before it is bountiful.

We had our first snow a week ago.

1696709764202.png

1696709802188.png

1696709835929.png

1696709864162.png

~S~

Then there's those of us who got a really late start on tomatoes...

So we made a frost tunnel....
Well it's just a greenhouse.

I have 5, 5gallon buckets I keep my tomatoes in.
As a retired electrician I had an idea.

4 pieces of ½" conduit, one stick of ¾" conduit, two 8' deck boards and some one hole straps.

20231014_143216.jpg

That ought to keep the frost off.
The ½ EMT fits tightly inside of the ¾" EMT. The two straps hold the ¾" conduit (cut in 12" pieces) straight.

Kinda surprised myself with the formula working out evenly for the 10' sticks of ½EMT.

I put 12 15⁰ degree bends in the conduit starting at 29¾" in and every 5½" afterwards to make the half circle. 29¾" is at the center of the bend and each one following is done exactly the same way. On the center.

This gives you a 4 foot tall by 3½ feet wide greenhouse. Perfect sized for tomato plants. No waste or trim of the ½" EMT conduit either...and at $7/stick these days you can afford to waste anything. I remember easily when it was $1.90 to $2.50/stick. (wasn't but a couple of years ago)

Can't wait. It's been a long "not winter” season.

20231015_180433.jpg

Lookit at what I found....guess I gotta rake them all up.

If you have lived up north all your life...
These are pecans...as in pecans pie

Last edited:
Looks like Monday morning will be the first frost in this area. I generally assume it will be the 19th when planning my plantings so pretty close.

Then there's those of us who got a really late start on tomatoes...

So we made a frost tunnel....
Well it's just a greenhouse.

I have 5, 5gallon buckets I keep my tomatoes in.
As a retired electrician I had an idea.

4 pieces of ½" conduit, one stick of ¾" conduit, two 8' deck boards and some one hole straps.

View attachment 842970

That ought to keep the frost off.
The ½ EMT fits tightly inside of the ¾" EMT. The two straps hold the ¾" conduit (cut in 12" pieces) straight.

Kinda surprised myself with the formula working out evenly for the 10' sticks of ½EMT.

I put 12 15⁰ degree bends in the conduit starting at 29¾" in and every 5½" afterwards to make the half circle. 29¾" is at the center of the bend and each one following is done exactly the same way. On the center.

This gives you a 4 foot tall by 3½ feet wide greenhouse. Perfect sized for tomato plants. No waste or trim of the ½" EMT conduit either...and at $7/stick these days you can afford to waste anything. I remember easily when it was $1.90 to $2.50/stick. (wasn't but a couple of years ago)

Once you button it down, if you put a few jugs of hot water under the plastic with them, you might be able to buy yourself even more time. If you really want to go all out, paint the jugs black and sit them in the sun all day to heat them back up for the next night.

Forum List

Back