Winters A Coming

So far,
I've gathered up roughly 25 gallons of Pecans.
There are still more on the trees.
So I got out the zero turn and raised the deck up high and blew all the leaves off after I checked for more nuts. Then I checked again afterwards....and got another couple of quarts of pecans.

They say that whole pecans are selling for around $1/lb. Dunno....never done that before.
Oh well. Wife doesn't want to sell them. She wants us to shell them and freeze them. Give some away as Christmas presents.
I think she's dreaming because there are literally pecan trees everywhere.
But I wouldn't mind trading some for some apples out of Northern Georgia or etc. I need some red baking apples and the stores here won't have them. sigh

So far,
I've gathered up roughly 25 gallons of Pecans.
There are still more on the trees.
So I got out the zero turn and raised the deck up high and blew all the leaves off after I checked for more nuts. Then I checked again afterwards....and got another couple of quarts of pecans.

They say that whole pecans are selling for around $1/lb. Dunno....never done that before.
Oh well. Wife doesn't want to sell them. She wants us to shell them and freeze them. Give some away as Christmas presents.
I think she's dreaming because there are literally pecan trees everywhere.
But I wouldn't mind trading some for some apples out of Northern Georgia or etc. I need some red baking apples and the stores here won't have them. sigh

You know I have many pecan trees but never can get much off them that is good. I get lots of nuts just not much usable inside. Not sure why. I just stopped trying. I just leave them for the critters (which may also be why they grow like weeds on my property LOL).

You know I have many pecan trees but never can get much off them that is good. I get lots of nuts just not much usable inside. Not sure why. I just stopped trying. I just leave them for the critters (which may also be why they grow like weeds on my property LOL).
A little 10-10-10 in the fall and spring and more water will do your trees a LOT of good.
Stressed trees don't produce. But also the older your Pecan tree the more likely it will produce without doing anything.

Not all types of Pecan trees will produce well every year. Most have good years and bad years. But also a variety of types of Pecan trees in the area are needed to get any to produce. Unlike melons, cross pollination of Pecan trees is needed for good production.

Of course you toss the black unhusked ones but these are Christmas gold.
Shell them and bake some pies. Candy them(spices and sugar) and give them away.
Or just collect and sell them.

You shouldn’t blow or rake your leaves.

Bumble bees and other assorted wild life spend the winter and hibernate in them.

A little 10-10-10 in the fall and spring and more water will do your trees a LOT of good.
Stressed trees don't produce. But also the older your Pecan tree the more likely it will produce without doing anything.

Not all types of Pecan trees will produce well every year. Most have good years and bad years. But also a variety of types of Pecan trees in the area are needed to get any to produce. Unlike melons, cross pollination of Pecan trees is needed for good production.

Of course you toss the black unhusked ones but these are Christmas gold.
Shell them and bake some pies. Candy them(spices and sugar) and give them away.
Or just collect and sell them.

Mine are definitely in an arid area. I only have to mow that area a couple times a summer.

Mine are definitely in an arid area. I only have to mow that area a couple times a summer.
The roots of a pecan are deep and about twice the circumference of the branches.

So the tree may be getting moisture the grass is not. And many of those pecans might be quite edible.

The roots of a pecan are deep and about twice the circumference of the branches.

So the tree may be getting moisture the grass is not. And many of those pecans might be quite edible.

They aren't really edible I've tried many times, at least not the ones I can reach. I mean I don't mind that much that they don't produce. I have a grove of them in one corner of my property. I mainly kept them around for the shade. That corner is also the highest spot on my property and gets a nice breeze if there is a breeze to be had. Some day I might build a patio/seating area up there. Ground is pretty acidic. It does pretty much get almost all covered with moss in the rainy months which is pretty cool. The only thing I really dislike about them is that they shed a ton of branches so when I do mow it, I have to spend quite a bit of time de-stickafying the area first. There are some persimmons growing wild up in the area, so if you want to see your guts, all you have to do is eat one cause they will turn you inside out they are so bitter.

Time to plant garlic and shallots.

Two rows of the french shallots and five rows of softneck CA garlic.
I put a heavy coat of 10-10-10 on them and put them all to bed.

20231023_175832.jpg

They aren't really edible I've tried many times, at least not the ones I can reach. I mean I don't mind that much that they don't produce. I have a grove of them in one corner of my property. I mainly kept them around for the shade. That corner is also the highest spot on my property and gets a nice breeze if there is a breeze to be had. Some day I might build a patio/seating area up there. Ground is pretty acidic. It does pretty much get almost all covered with moss in the rainy months which is pretty cool. The only thing I really dislike about them is that they shed a ton of branches so when I do mow it, I have to spend quite a bit of time de-stickafying the area first. There are some persimmons growing wild up in the area, so if you want to see your guts, all you have to do is eat one cause they will turn you inside out they are so bitter.
Well,
Apparently I have more than one type of Pecan tree as the trees in the front taste very different from the ones in the back.

The ones in the front are a much more sought out pecan I have learned very recently. So far I've shelled out all the pecans from the front yard (although many more need to drop) and gotten 2¼lbs of either Stewart or something similar.

The ones in the back have produced the lion's share this year....about 30 gallons of pecans. Just about 5 gallons from the front yard. Lots of bad ones everywhere....but that's what a late frost and bright will do for ya....plus no one has fed any of the trees for years.

First snow last night. Not much but technically it happened. Mostly rain.

Forum List

Back