Winter Olympics

Starting tomorrow.
Is there any enthusiasm for it over there ? I must admit I am underwhelmed by it. I dont think we should be taking these events to countries that have such questionable human rights records.
I guess that narrows it down a bit.
The spirit of the games is also questionable. The UK team are all backed by the state and the whole team has a medals target. Its all very cynical and slants the results towards the richer countries who can afford to back this nonsense.
I wont be watching it all.
I have not watched or cared about the Olympics in 30 plus years, they seem pointless.

Starting tomorrow.
Is there any enthusiasm for it over there ? I must admit I am underwhelmed by it. I dont think we should be taking these events to countries that have such questionable human rights records.
I guess that narrows it down a bit.
The spirit of the games is also questionable. The UK team are all backed by the state and the whole team has a medals target. Its all very cynical and slants the results towards the richer countries who can afford to back this nonsense.
I wont be watching it all.
I've actually watched some events the last 2 nights.

I really don't get much interested until the Downhill skiing and the figure skating.

Japan women's hockey team beat Sweden last night 3-1. Pretty incredible--you'd figure the northern european teams would be very strong. Japan was very fast on the ice. I know it was 20 years ago...Canada (likely the best team in the world) beat Japan in Nagano (1998) 13-0.

1643951280298.png

Now Japan is competing and winning against European teams! Its a testament to the development of the program. Also, it's not as if the Japanese imported a bunch of players from other nations to simply play for them...their team looks to be completely native.

I dont think we should be taking these events to countries that have such questionable human rights records.
I agree.

But it is what it is.

I look at it like this. If you delve deep enough into any nation, any company, any person, you'd find a reason to dislike them. China's record on human rights really sucks and the IOC should not award games to them again any time soon. But once they made that decision, what are you supposed to do; not compete?

So I don't have an issue with out teams being over there or watching it myself.

Go Team USA!

If you’re not gonna medal, or at least have a very high percentage chance to, why are you an Olympian in the first place?

You have to understand some of these athletes have trained for years for this moment! Even if they fail, the experience must be worth it for them! I wouldn't go to China for any reason though! :dunno: :stir::sigh2::omg:

ou have to understand some of these athletes have trained for years for this moment! Even if they fail, the experience must be worth it for them!
Many, many years ago I competed in JOAD (Junior Olympic Archery Division) for several years. When I realized I didn’t have the skill to win on natural talent or the time, energy or money for the training and practice to acquire that skill, I quit.

I wasn’t going to waste my time chasing a goal I knew I could never achieve.

Many, many years ago I competed in JOAD (Junior Olympic Archery Division) for several years. When I realized I didn’t have the skill to win on natural talent or the time, energy or money for the training and practice to acquire that skill, I quit.

I wasn’t going to waste my time chasing a goal I knew I could never achieve.

I'm the same way in tennis! I realized my limitations & didn't go that extra mile of training! Some do though!

I'm the same way in tennis! I realized my limitations & didn't go that extra mile of training! Some do though!
True. Now think of what the ones who still never succeed could have done with that time, energy and money if put towards a more attainable goal.

Take the US Biathlon team. They’ve NEVER medaled at an Olympics. Not in any event. Mens, Womens, Single, Relay.. nothing. They fucked up a potential opportunity to break that streak today. Why are they wasting the time and embarrassing this nation?

True. Now think of what the ones who still never succeed could have done with that time, energy and money if put towards a more attainable goal.

Take the US Biathlon team. They’ve NEVER medaled at an Olympics. Not in any event. Mens, Womens, Single, Relay.. nothing. They fucked up a potential opportunity to break that streak today. Why are they wasting the time and embarrassing this nation?

All U have to do is think back to the Jamaican Bobsled Team! What was more fruitless? Some just do it! :dunno:

Forum List

Back