Windows 8

I just got it last week. It is ok, different, but ok. My only problem is my computer is not refreshing automatically. I called windows help, they said it was a normal problem for windows 8. He sent tech in to fix it for free. Then the fuck said I have too many problems and trying to charge me 69.99. Oh hell no! I am calling today when I get off, and I am not happy

I love my Xyboard (Jellybean based Android) Tablet. But I'm still bringing in a Windows 8 Surface Pro to eval.

With an I5 CPU, it makes the iPad and even the new Nexus 10 look like toys. The big issue is the classic one - battery life. That beefy processor sucks a lot of juice. Where the Motorola gives a solid 12 hours worth of use on a charge, the estimate on the Windows pad is a paltry 4 hours. We'll see how that affects real life.

For those who are not terminally stupid, the days of interacting with computers through a mouse are coming to a close.

Touch screens are NOT an answer. Goo, shmutz, fingerprints and the need to be within arms length make touch screens ridiculous.

What the video posted earlier demonstrates is Kinect, a motion sensing method of interacting with the machine. Iamwhatiseem will declare it brilliant, next year once Apple has cloned it.

Kinect is a proven technology that is in wide use on XBox 360 systems, and offers all the advantages of a touch screen, without having to have a touch screen, It means it will work with the computer you have today, or with your living room TV.

For those who are not terminally stupid, the days of interacting with computers through a mouse are coming to a close.

Touch screens are NOT an answer. Goo, shmutz, fingerprints and the need to be within arms length make touch screens ridiculous.

What the video posted earlier demonstrates is Kinect, a motion sensing method of interacting with the machine. Iamwhatiseem will declare it brilliant, next year once Apple has cloned it.

Kinect is a proven technology that is in wide use on XBox 360 systems, and offers all the advantages of a touch screen, without having to have a touch screen, It means it will work with the computer you have today, or with your living room TV.

Uuuummmm, but I like my mouse. I get to stroke it, pet it and feed it way too many batteries. Yeah, I forget to put it to sleep.

It seems nine out of ten reactions to Windows 8 range from moderate dislike to utter disgust. I recently upgraded from XP to 7, which seems okay now that I've adjusted to it, but the thing that instantly turned me off to 8 is the touch-screen, which might be okay for a laptop but an annoying and redundant inconvenience on a desktop.

I'm not so audacious as to suggest Microsoft has made a dumb move by introducing such a predictable disappointment, so I'm wondering what related surprise 8 is intended to prepare the market for. Whatever it is I hope it's not completely over the heads of geriatric computer users, most of whom, including me, were perfectly content with 98/SE.

It seems nine out of ten reactions to Windows 8 range from moderate dislike to utter disgust. I recently upgraded from XP to 7, which seems okay now that I've adjusted to it, but the thing that instantly turned me off to 8 is the touch-screen, which might be okay for a laptop but an annoying and redundant inconvenience on a desktop.

I'm not so audacious as to suggest Microsoft has made a dumb move by introducing such a predictable disappointment, so I'm wondering what related surprise 8 is intended to prepare the market for. Whatever it is I hope it's not completely over the heads of geriatric computer users, most of whom, including me, were perfectly content with 98/SE.
Microsoft doesn't care whether you're content with their operating system or not. They have over 80% of the operating system market. Apple's IOS is in second place with only 7% of the market.

MS makes money on their operating system by first introducing a new version. Then they drop support on older versions which signals application developers and computer manufactures to develop their products for the new version. When you buy a new computer, it comes with the new operating system installed. When you try install your older applications, you have to buy upgrades.

In short, what the customer wants in an operating system is just not that important to MS.

Settle down son, no need to insult one another for Pete's sake. As I have explained to you before, and again now, I am not an Apple fan. I don't own a single Apple device.
But operating a computer via a kinect device is about as adept as driving a car with boxing gloves. Even in this video you can see the kid struggle to control the interface considerably.
The future of computer control is most certainly not a kinect or anything like it.
As long as there are display screens - a mouse will be the interface of choice. I certainly have no interest in waving my arms around in mid-air vs. resting on the desk barely moving my wrist.
I don't know what the future interface will be - a kinect device...hilarious.

Uuuummmm, but I like my mouse. I get to stroke it, pet it and feed it way too many batteries. Yeah, I forget to put it to sleep.

I loved my command line too - but it didn't alter the move of progress.

And just like the command line, power users will still have a mouse for decades.

Motion sensing technology is here to stay, though.

Settle down son, no need to insult one another for Pete's sake.

Alright, I apologize.

As I have explained to you before, and again now, I am not an Apple fan. I don't own a single Apple device.
But operating a computer via a kinect device is about as adept as driving a car with boxing gloves.

Exactly what was said when the transition from command line to GUI started. (I admit, I was one of the nay-sayers.)

Even in this video you can see the kid struggle to control the interface considerably.
The future of computer control is most certainly not a kinect or anything like it.
As long as there are display screens - a mouse will be the interface of choice. I certainly have no interest in waving my arms around in mid-air vs. resting on the desk barely moving my wrist.

We already can see that isn't true. The rise of touch screens demonstrates that the public seeks a more natural way of interacting. But as I pointed out, touch has a ton of draw backs. Motion control doesn't.

I don't know what the future interface will be - a kinect device...hilarious.

It's going to happen, whether you like it or not.

Again, by this time next year, Apple will have stolen/cloned the technology, and everyone will be remarking on how brilliant and innovative it is.

I just went to Windozes 7 I of course could have bought 8 for all our boxes but chose 7 instead. It sure beats the heck out of Vista 64!

It's going to happen, whether you like it or not.

Again, by this time next year, Apple will have stolen/cloned the technology, and everyone will be remarking on how brilliant and innovative it is.

I am not so confident of that, much the same as everyone thought touchpads would replace a mouse 6-7 years ago. They didn't. It wasn't any real improvement over the mouse.
Motion sensor interface is much the same - it has to be better - not just different. Like I said - who wants to hold their arm up in the air and move it around? You know how tired your arm will get?? Imagine trying to work with a spread sheet! It would be a nightmare.
In the gaming industry, once perfected, motion sensor will certainly be a cool device though it is still years from getting better.

I am not so confident of that, much the same as everyone thought touchpads would replace a mouse 6-7 years ago. They didn't. It wasn't any real improvement over the mouse.

Two issues. First, touch screens HAVE replaced the mouse to a huge extent. There are more Andriod and IOS devices than all the PC's and Macs combined, and they all used touch screens.

But, touch has issues, which are massively magnified on the desktop.

Motion sensor interface is much the same - it has to be better - not just different. Like I said - who wants to hold their arm up in the air and move it around? You know how tired your arm will get?? Imagine trying to work with a spread sheet! It would be a nightmare.
In the gaming industry, once perfected, motion sensor will certainly be a cool device though it is still years from getting better.

In many ways, it is better, significantly better. A single gesture replaces a half-dozen mouse clicks. Dragging, dropping, squeezing to contract, widening fingers to zoom, all of these are natural and intuitive to the user.

Just like the GUI, this is going to happen. Microsoft has staked their company on it, and they do a lot of research. True that they couldn't market water in the middle of the desert, but the shift is a natural and inevitable one.

Two issues. First, touch screens HAVE replaced the mouse to a huge extent. There are more Andriod and IOS devices than all the PC's and Macs combined, and they all used touch screens.

But, touch has issues, which are massively magnified on the desktop.

In many ways, it is better, significantly better. A single gesture replaces a half-dozen mouse clicks. Dragging, dropping, squeezing to contract, widening fingers to zoom, all of these are natural and intuitive to the user.

Just like the GUI, this is going to happen. Microsoft has staked their company on it, and they do a lot of research. True that they couldn't market water in the middle of the desert, but the shift is a natural and inevitable one.

I didn't mean touchscreens - I mean touchpads Remember this mini-craze?

Attachments

• $Logitech-touchpad-T650.jpg
    $Logitech-touchpad-T650.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 101

Forum List

Back