Windows 8 Pop3 Email?

That's great, Chuckt. I figured it was on Verizon's end, just like it was when I was set up for Exede. Since it just got out from under Wild Blue, they were using old data for the customer. The tech who sighted the satellite and dug the new hole for the heavier pole is a pretty good guy, but he has no concept of how to set up e-mail. Instead, he left me with the instructions, which were incorrect. Lucky, I used to do IT for a living and could figure it out. I pity those folks who haven't a clue what is going on. If they call their help desk, they may or may not receive any help.

That's great, Chuckt. I figured it was on Verizon's end, just like it was when I was set up for Exede. Since it just got out from under Wild Blue, they were using old data for the customer. The tech who sighted the satellite and dug the new hole for the heavier pole is a pretty good guy, but he has no concept of how to set up e-mail. Instead, he left me with the instructions, which were incorrect. Lucky, I used to do IT for a living and could figure it out. I pity those folks who haven't a clue what is going on. If they call their help desk, they may or may not receive any help.

I called Verizon tonight to let them know that (1) their help on the internet had the wrong email server names and (2) that the tech told me he had several Windows 8 calls a week where they cannot set up pop3 email with Windows 8 and the woman at Verizon said they had the email servers changed from incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net to pop.verizon.net and smtp.Verizon.net so I told her that it didn't work and that the self help forums on the internet said that Microsoft Outlook 2010 did work with Pop3. I told her I played with it for hours and changed every setting and that it does work now.

She documented it and I said that I was calling to help Verizon help the other users and what they need to do is have a tech sit down with a Windows 8 computer and figure it out.

I'm making a mental note that if they do change the email servers or if they do disable incoming.verizon.net then my email will not work one day.

This is the link I used. We used an alternate port # as 587 to try after the first two didn't work.

What are my email settings? | High Speed Internet | Residential Support | Verizon

Okay, let me take a stab at this, since I'm assuming you are using Verizon as your ISP, since you supply it.

Here are the directions as follows for Microsoft Outlook 2007:

Let's assume you are using Microsoft Outlook since Windows 8 no longer supports Outlook Express. Verizon is a little late, unless they think you are still using XP.

In the Outlook Mail Tools Menu, go to "Account Settings."

If you have something already in there, remove it and start all over. Next, click on New.

A "Change E-mail Account dialog box is generated so fill in your name or whatever you want to be known as in the first blank.
Right below the first line, enter your e-mail address.
Under Pop3 server, enter: pop.verizon.net
Under outgoing mail server, enter: smtp.verizon.net

Under Login Information, enter your user name: say it's [email protected] if that happens to be your e-mail.
Enter the password and check the box to remember the password.
Check the box, "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)."

Go to "More Settings".
On the next page, Internet E-mail Settings, General tab, first line, fill in your e-mail address: [email protected]. Leave everything else blank.

Next Tab, "Outgoing Server", check the box, "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication." Next check the radio button, "Use same settings as my incoming mail server."
Next go to the "Connections" tab. Click radio button, "Connect using my Local Area Network (LAN)."

Next, go to the Advanced Tab: Fill in the Incoming Server, port number is 995. Check the box below, which says "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL). Next fill in the Outgoing Server (SMTP) port number 465. Below this port you will see the instruction: "Use the following type of encrypted connection. Of the list in the box, change it to SSL.

Press OK. You will be taken back to the dialog box for "Change E-mail Account. Next, press the button for "Test Account Settings." If everything goes and you have no errors, your system is working. Then you can always send yourself a test message. You should be good to go, and if that doesn't work, then the only thing that could be wrong is that you are using the wrong port. Just remember, don't use the same port for your incoming server and your outgoing server. There are 2 different ports.

Since Verizon still thinks that you can use Outlook Express with Windows 8, they could be listing the wrong ports, though they are the same ports I use through my satellite account.

Hope this works for you.

I found out the problem.
The incoming mail server account is not pop.verizon.net and the outgoing mail server is not smtp.verizon.net
They are incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net

They have faulty information on the web and their techs are following it.

Thank you for the help.

Ooh shit. If i had known what your problem was (specifically) I could have told you that.
We had Verizon a couple of years ago and no they don't use pop or smtp for the settings. When I initially tried to set up my POP3 accounts I ran into the same problem. Now I don't use POP3 anymore, no more hassles trying to reconfigure every time.

Forum List

Back