Wind Turbines - Not so Human friendly as proponents say..

Texas city opts for 100% renewable energy – to save cash, not the planet

News that a Texas city is to be powered by 100% renewable energy sparked surprise in an oil-obsessed, Republican-dominated state where fossil fuels are king and climate change activists were described as “the equivalent of the flat-earthers” by US senator and GOP presidential hopeful Ted Cruz.

“I was called an Al Gore clone, a tree-hugger,” says Jim Briggs, interim city manager of Georgetown, a community of about 50,000 people some 25 miles north of Austin.
.......................................................................................................

“I’m probably the furthest thing from an Al Gore clone you could find,” he says. “We didn’t do this to save the world – we did this to get a competitive rate and reduce the risk for our consumers.”

In many Texas cities the electricity market is deregulated, meaning that customers choose from a dizzying variety of providers and plans. In Houston, for example, there are more than 70 plans that offer energy from entirely renewable sources.

That makes it easy to switch, so in a dynamic marketplace, providers tend to focus on the immediate future. This discourages the creation of renewable energy facilities, which require long-term investment to be viable. But in Georgetown, the city utility company has a monopoly.

When its staff examined their options last year, they discovered something that seemed remarkable, especially in Texas: renewable energy was cheaper than non-renewable. And so last month city officials finalised a deal with SunEdison, a giant multinational solar energy company. It means that by January 2017, all electricity within the city’s service area will come from wind and solar power.

This is the future.

The Great Texas Wind Power Boom

But, you should know that Texas produces about four times more wind power than 3rd place California and three times more than 2nd place Iowa. Pretty amazing for Texas, an energy juggernaut that also supplies about 28% of our natural gas and 37% of our crude oil. Texas has surged its wind power capacity 80% to 18,000 megawatts since 2010, with actual wind generation more than doubling over that time.

There are more than 10,000 wind turbines in Texas, and at times last winter, wind supplied 40-50% of the state’s electricity. The Great Texas Wind Boom has all come without much help from legendary Texas oilman T. Boone Pickens, who backed out of his grandiose wind plans in the state.

Texas now produces more wind power alone than 25 U.S. states produce from all power sources combined!

Although you can read "6 Reasons Why Texas Leads the Nation in Wind Power" for yourself, one advantage for Texas is that it's the only U.S. state with its own power grid, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT, which covers about 75% of the state.

Well now, that is a lot of power from the wind. And much, much more on the way.

It should be noted that the landscape of texas is deteriorating much faster than any other state as well...and when the government subsidies and tax breaks for wind and solar dry up as they soon will, you will see how much interest the private sector has in such inefficient and unreliable sources of power.

It should be noted that the landscape of texas is deteriorating much faster than any other state as well...
How is it deteriorating? Low frequency noise?

Obviously "the landscape of Texas is deteriorating much faster" because of the unusual concentration of rightwingnut retards in that state. They can very quickly 'deteriorate' almost anything. A good example of deteriorating rightwingnut retards would be the wackos at WUWT who wrote the deranged garbage cited in the OP.

Last edited:
Crooked ambulance chaser lawyers love "wind turbine syndrome", as it supposedly causes every symptom imaginable, and as it's entirely fanciful, it's impossible to disprove it.

Normal people point out that "wind turbine syndrome" doesn't exist in China, a nation carpeted with wind turbines in populated areas. It only exists where lawyers abound. And nobody who gets a paycheck from the wind turbines ever gets it, only their neighbors. It's more correctly called "jealous neighbor syndrome".

I don't suppose it could be that the residents of china aren't allowed to sue the government...They can only file suits that are sanctioned by the central government. They live with it there...which I suppose someone like you would like to see happen here...central government dictating every aspect of your life and perhaps killing you if you don't like it.
This is exactly what they want.. They fail to understand the government that might give you things can be brutal when they decide to take them away.

Got some data to back up that claim? ANY of that claim?

All you need to do is go and look at the number of times china has been successfully sued by a citizen...easy peasy for someone with any thinking skills at all...maybe you can get an adult to help you out.

This comment:

Was in response to this claim:

Same Shit Different Day (SSDD) said:
It should be noted that the landscape of texas is deteriorating much faster than any other state as well..

Still waiting for the slightest hint of evidence. Even an explanation of what the hell this ratfuck idiot is trying to say here. Is Texas getting dry and dusty? Is the place littered with cowshit? Someone enlighten us.

This comment:

Was in response to this claim:

Same Shit Different Day (SSDD) said:
It should be noted that the landscape of texas is deteriorating much faster than any other state as well..

Still waiting for the slightest hint of evidence. Even an explanation of what the hell this ratfuck idiot is trying to say here. Is Texas getting dry and dusty? Is the place littered with cowshit? Someone enlighten us.

Already said...guess you can't read either...tell whoever is helping you with the multi syllable words to look 3 posts up...windmills are an eyesore on the landscape...no matter what sort of landscape you are talking about

Ahh... so it is deteriorating in your opinion. Got it.

Deteriorate - V - to make or become worse or inferior in character,quality, value, etc.

You place eyesores on the landscape, the landscape deteriorates....I know...it is a big word..5 whole syllables...but try real hard...maybe you can learn it...could be a milestone for you.

I would never be one to denigrate a pristine landscape. But not every windfarm is going into pristine landscape. And if my alternative was a large industrial facility with a couple 100 meter smokestacks belching soot and CO2 24/7, I'll take the fooking windmills.

Wind Turbines - Not so human friendly as proponents say..

The primary pathway of turbine assault on human health is no mystery. The Israeli army has used low-frequency sound pulses as high-tech crowd control for years. People are made nauseous and confused, with blurred vision, vertigo, headaches, tachycardia, heightened blood pressure, pain and ringing in the ears, difficulties with memory and concentration, anxiety, depression, irritability, and panic attacks.

This also describes the Wind Turbine Syndrome (WTS), a constellation of symptoms first given a name by the brilliant young MD/PhD, Nina Pierpont. She followed her astute and compassionate observations of turbine neighbors around the world with epidemiological research, using a robust case-crossover statistical design: subjects experienced symptoms that varied with proximity to the turbines. When the same subjects were placed at a greater distance from the turbines, their symptoms abated; returning them to the scene brought the symptoms back.

Now that several studies have been done the health impacts of wind power generation is stunning and bad for both humans and animals alike.
Entire eco systems are being altered because of the rapid slaughter of raptors and bats.

Why is Ms Parker making technical comments about wind turbines?

"The problem with wind energy is not just its costly, subsidized, unreliable electricity; the need to back up every megawatt with redundant fossil-fuel power; or its impacts on wildlife and their habitats."

"The continuing expansion of Big Wind is a tale of money and power shunting aside integrity and compassion, abetted by a disinterested news media, leading to an un-informed public, further betrayed by “human rights advocates” loathe to break ranks from popular positions.

The myth that “saving the world” requires tolerating the costs of Big Wind could not be further from the truth. Responsible stewardship demands critical thinking, common sense and grade school science, not just following Big Wind’s Pied Piper and supposedly good intentions.

In fact, allowing wind into the energy mix squanders our non-renewable environment and taxpayer billions that are greatly needed elsewhere, wasting them on the most idiotic of engineering conceits.

Reliance on wind actually increases emissions and fossil fuel use overall, due to inefficiencies introduced into the system. Big Wind eliminates none of the need for conventional capacity, but rather consumes vast quantities of additional fuel and raw materials, while spewing emissions during the manufacture, transportation, construction and maintenance of the enormous redundant turbines and their uniquely demanding infrastructure.

The Wind Game is nothing but an obscenely costly, mostly useless energy redundancy scheme. It funnels unimaginable profits from our taxpayer and rate-payer pockets to its inner circle, while knowingly ignoring its victims’ desperate pleas for relief – and indeed ridiculing them and trying to bury all the growing evidence of harm to their health and wellbeing.

We’ve witnessed three decades of this callous, mercenary assault, this arrogant denial of what is known to be true, this untold suffering of thousands of innocent victims around the world. It’s time to bring in the human rights and social justice referees – and call “game over.”"

And why would I be going to a clinical psychologist for her opinion on money, the news media, saving the world, plant reliability, etc? Answer? I wouldn't. That she thinks she should give it to me makes me very suspect of the material for which I would have trusted her expertise. I am made to think her opinion is NOT an objective one.

I would never be one to denigrate a pristine landscape. But not every windfarm is going into pristine landscape. And if my alternative was a large industrial facility with a couple 100 meter smokestacks belching soot and CO2 24/7, I'll take the fooking windmills.

Exactly what sort of industry still belches soot? And if I had to denigrate the landscape, I would rather the denigration to as small an area as possible, rather than spread it out over square miles..and if it must be done in the name of keeping the energy on, then it should be a reliable energy source rather than something that is just an eyesore and doesn't produce what it claims.

Burning coal produces soot. Burning oil produces soot. Wind and solar make electricity with zero fuel cost and produce zero CO2 emissions. It is very easy to see an attractive aesthetic in a windmill. Your view is seriously flawed.

Burning coal produces soot. Burning oil produces soot. Wind and solar make electricity with zero fuel cost and produce zero CO2 emissions. It is very easy to see an attractive aesthetic in a windmill. Your view is seriously flawed.

Really? Here are a few modern coal fired plants...note the conspicuous absence of soot.

ge%202.jpg
1l-image.jpg

And wind and solar are neither dependable...ask those poor people in australia who believed their leaders when they were told that wind and solar were just dandy, and reliable...oh...thats right, you can't because along with the power, their phones are also out...

And the claim that they have zero emissions is just more fake news put out by the glassy eyed chanting cult...and there is nothing attractive about windmills scattered across the landscape...

Your unit on the bottom, Datteln, will produce 1.1 GW, but will cost 1 billion Euros to build. The cost of its fuel will run 4 cents/kWh which adds up to 4 million cents/hour and over $350 million dollars per year. For coal. And what does a GW's worth of wind or sun cost? Zero.

Crooked ambulance chaser lawyers love "wind turbine syndrome", as it supposedly causes every symptom imaginable, and as it's entirely fanciful, it's impossible to disprove it.

Normal people point out that "wind turbine syndrome" doesn't exist in China, a nation carpeted with wind turbines in populated areas. It only exists where lawyers abound. And nobody who gets a paycheck from the wind turbines ever gets it, only their neighbors. It's more correctly called "jealous neighbor syndrome".

I don't suppose it could be that the residents of china aren't allowed to sue the government...They can only file suits that are sanctioned by the central government. They live with it there...which I suppose someone like you would like to see happen here...central government dictating every aspect of your life and perhaps killing you if you don't like it.
This is exactly what they want.. They fail to understand the government that might give you things can be brutal when they decide to take them away.
You mean the government is going to take away the wind? LOL

Forum List

Back