Will Republicans shut down the Government over Planned Parenthood?

The ball is in the Dems' court: Republicans have done their part to keep government open, says John McCormack in The Weekly Standard. But Obama and Reid won't allow another one-week extension, which only contains two "riders" — neither of which deals with Planned Parenthood or the EPA. In fact, "it's quite amazing" that Democrats are "now insisting that taxpayer-funding of abortion" is more important than funding the troops and keeping "budget negotiations going."

Crazy.

What part of the federal government doesn't fund abortions anyway are clowns like John McCormack and you not getting? By cutting Planned Parenthood, ironically, they'll be cutting PREGNANCY PREVENTION for low-income women. You want more babies born to women who can't care for them or don't want them and then have even MORE chidren on welfare to continue the cycle?

This is a fucking no-brainer.

A no-brainer? Not if one seeks a greater labor pool so as to pay lower wages. Simple supply and demand issue, isn't it?

The Republicans are using the budget process to kill every program that they were outvoted on in the past.

- Planned Parenthood
- Healthcare
- Environmental Protection
- Education
- PBS/NPR

GOOD FOR THEM. They're actually finally taking a STAND, after apparently realizing that when you're dealing with the immoral, the insane, and the Liberal (yea, I know I'm being redundant) that VOTES are not the means to get thing accomplished and are nothing more than a waste of time.

Rather than negotiate in good faith, they are holding the government hostage to push through a rightwing conservative agenda under the excuse of balancing the budget

You don't negotiate with your ENEMIES.... You DESTROY THEM by any means possible. Just be happy they're using political means at this point rather than my prefered method of violent revolution.

You're the definition of all talk. Gonna get violent from moms basement?

The ball is in the Dems' court: Republicans have done their part to keep government open, says John McCormack in The Weekly Standard. But Obama and Reid won't allow another one-week extension, which only contains two "riders" — neither of which deals with Planned Parenthood or the EPA. In fact, "it's quite amazing" that Democrats are "now insisting that taxpayer-funding of abortion" is more important than funding the troops and keeping "budget negotiations going."

Crazy.

What part of the federal government doesn't fund abortions anyway are clowns like John McCormack and you not getting? By cutting Planned Parenthood, ironically, they'll be cutting PREGNANCY PREVENTION for low-income women. You want more babies born to women who can't care for them or don't want them and then have even MORE chidren on welfare to continue the cycle?

This is a fucking no-brainer.

Almost all county health departments provide family planning and birth control for low income participants. Giving money to planned parenthood to duplicate those services that are provided by state and county governments is a waste of money we don't have. People seem to forget that we are BORROWING a lot of the money we're spending.

Since when did killing your baby become a "womens health issue"?

Ladies, if you wanna' kill your baby, do it on yer' own dime please.

Reid lies
There are only two "riders" in this budget stopgap. The first prevents federal funds from being used to build a detention center on U.S. soil for Guantanamo detainees or for bringing those detainees to the United States. But Reid didn't say anything about that rider in his remarks.

Instead, Reid said that "the two main issues that are holding this matter are up the choice of women, reproductive rights, and clean air. These matters have no place on a budget bill." By clean air, he means the amendment to keep the EPA from regulating carbon dioxide emissions. That rider is not included in House Republicans' bill....

So that seems to be the sticking point--the reason Reid won't vote for this budget or won't allow a vote. To be clear: We're not talking about prohibiting funds for contraception from being used to subsidize abortion providers (i.e. the Pence amendment on Planned Parenthood). We're talking about direct taxpayer-funding of abortion....

This policy, known as the Dornan amendment, has previously enjoyed bipartisan support: Indeed, Reid, Biden, Pelosi, and Obama have all voted for appropriations bills that included the Dornan amendment. President Obama signed the Dornan amendment into law in the fiscal year 2009 budget.

Restoring the Dornan amendment ensures that no congressionally appropriated funds (whether locally or federally generated) may pay for abortion in the District of Columbia. It's already been done. But the teepees still want ALL of Planned Parenhood defunded.

And by the way, initially there were over 60 policy "riders" the teepees demanded in the CRs that have subsequently been worked through. The Planned Parenthood one is the only one remaining, and the CR with that in it will not pass the Senate. So shut it down and let the fools quibbling over a an issue which DOES NOT BELONG in an emergency resolution suffer the consequences. Bring it on.

Many of us told you GOP Hacks that they would cost you the Senate, and they did. Now they will cost you the WH in 2012.

That would be GREAT.... then maybe we can get people mobilized for what it will REALLY take to TRULY implement change in this country..... REVOLUTION.

Somebody order a bulk supply of sick bags.... the Dems are spinning so much, one of 'em's bound to up chuck their dinner. Sad bastards.

So you think it's appropriate to spend weeks on end debating policy issues that rightfully should be debated ON THEIR OWN MERITS during non-emergency congressional sessions? Especially "wedge" issues like abortion? We're the fucking laughing stock of the entire world, what with the Mideast and Africa on fire, Japan about to sink into oblivion, still no JOBS BILL from the Republicans (their biggest 'promise'--remember), and the myriad other real problems the country is facing.

You're right on one thing. It makes me wanna puke.

So the Democrats are going to force a shut down because they aren't funding abortion enough? Seriously?

The Government Shutdown is About Abortion and Pollution | Death and Taxes

Leaving aside the fact that abortion is a medical procedure performed by medical professionals and should therefore enjoy the same federal dollars our government has deemed wise to spend on public health, to shut down the government over the chump change Washington spends on the procedure is nothing short of ludicrous. The government’s relationship with abortion, as well as its relation with the environment, are conversations that are absolutely worthwhile—so worthwhile that they require completely separate debates. Attempting action on these issues in the context of a budget debate, prompting gridlock (which Republicans had to know would happen) and endangering the livelihood of nearly one million government employees in addition to freezing public services, is profoundly irresponsible.

Personally..I think most core Republicans could give 2 craps about abortion. They have an entirely different agenda...but the Abortion issue plays well to the people they want in their pocket.

The Republicans are trying to nickle and dime their way to social change and the Dems are not going to buy it. Just wait until citizens learn that the GOP attempt at "Social Engineering" is the reason the Government is shut down. Oh, and they will learn it soon!

At this point, it isn't even the money. The newly elected (extremely ignorant of procedure) tea partiers are ONLY interested in getting their pet moral issues on the front pages. They should have learned the lesson from the Evangelical movement in the mid-2000's that it just...won't...happen.

The Republicans are using the budget process to kill every program that they were outvoted on in the past.

- Planned Parenthood
- Healthcare
- Education
- PBS/NPR

GOOD FOR THEM. They're actually finally taking a STAND, after apparently realizing that when you're dealing with the immoral, the insane, and the Liberal (yea, I know I'm being redundant) that VOTES are not the means to get thing accomplished and are nothing more than a waste of time.

Rather than negotiate in good faith, they are holding the government hostage to push through a rightwing conservative agenda under the excuse of balancing the budget

You don't negotiate with your ENEMIES.... You DESTROY THEM by any means possible. Just be happy they're using political means at this point rather than my prefered method of violent revolution.

And this..

Speaks volumes.

Restoring the Dornan amendment ensures that no congressionally appropriated funds (whether locally or federally generated) may pay for abortion in the District of Columbia. It's already been done. But the teepees still want ALL of Planned Parenhood defunded.

And by the way, initially there were over 60 policy "riders" the teepees demanded in the CRs that have subsequently been worked through. The Planned Parenthood one is the only one remaining, and the CR with that in it will not pass the Senate. So shut it down and let the fools quibbling over a an issue which DOES NOT BELONG in an emergency resolution suffer the consequences. Bring it on.

So?

It's not a surprise to me that liberals lack consistency

“This debate was about saving money, but no longer,” said Reid in a floor speech.

Legislation approved by the House would eliminate funding for all of Title X. Though Title X does not pay for abortions, $75 million of last year’s Title X funding went to Planned Parenthood affiliates. Planned Parenthood provides abortion services, but says it does not use taxpayer money for that purpose.

“They think there is nothing more important than keeping women from getting cancer screenings?” asked Reid. “This is indefensible and every man and woman should be outraged.”

Reid says GOP stance on abortion rider 'indefensible' - The Hill's Floor Action

Family Planning

The Title X Family Planning program ["Population Research and Voluntary Family Planning Programs" (Public Law 91-572)], was enacted in 1970 as Title X of the Public Health Service Act. Title X is the only federal grant program dedicated solely to providing individuals with comprehensive family planning and related preventive health services. The Title X program is designed to provide access to contraceptive services, supplies and information to all who want and need them. By law, priority is given to persons from low-income families.

The Title X Family Planning program is administered within the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health, Office of Population Affairs (OPA) by the Office of Family Planning (OFP). In fiscal year 2010, Congress appropriated approximately $317,491 million for family planning activities supported under Title X. At least 90 percent of the appropriation is used for clinical family planning services as described in the statute and regulations (45 CFR Part 59).

In calendar year 2008, 88 Title X grantees provided family planning services to approximately five million women and men through a network of more than 4,500 community-based clinics that include State and local health departments, tribal organizations, hospitals, university health centers, independent clinics, community health centers, faith-based organizations, and other public and private nonprofit agencies. In approximately 75% of U.S. counties, there is at least one clinic that receives Title X funds and provides services as required under the Title X statute.

Over the past 40 years, Title X family planning clinics have played a critical role in ensuring access to a broad range of family planning and related preventive health services for millions of low-income or uninsured individuals and others. In addition to contraceptive services and related counseling, Title X-supported clinics provide a number of related preventive health services such as: patient education and counseling; breast and pelvic examinations; breast and cervical cancer screening according to nationally recognized standards of care; sexually transmitted disease (STD) and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) prevention education, counseling, testing and referral; and pregnancy diagnosis and counseling. By law, Title X funds may not be used in programs where abortion is a method of family planning.

The Title X program also supports three key functions, authorized under the Title X statute aimed at improving the quality of family planning services and assisting clinics with responding to client needs. These functions include: (1) training for family planning clinic personnel through ten regional general training programs and three national training programs that focus on clinical training, enhancing quality family planning services for males, and/or coordination of training activities on the national level; (2) data collection and family planning research aimed at improving the delivery of family planning services; and, (3) information dissemination and community based education and outreach activities. These functions help to ensure that family planning services are evidence-based and of high quality.

The Title X family planning program is intended to assist individuals in determining the number and spacing of their children. This promotes positive birth outcomes and healthy families. The education, counseling, and medical services available in Title X-funded clinic settings assist couples in achieving these goals.

Family Planning

Remember when we kept telling the clowns that the Tea Party was nothing more than the same old right wing of the Republican party? With the social conservatives right where they always were?

Remember when the clowns kept saying no no no!! this is different?!

Remember when I said I told you so? (well I said that just now, so that shouldn't be hard to remember.)

Correction: Rabid right wing of the Republican Party. And I'll bet if we could peek into their souls, we'd find out that their extremism is based on pure unadulterated hatred of Barack Obama.

- Planned Parenthood
- Healthcare
- Education
- PBS/NPR

You are negotiating from a minority position

Tail Wagging the dog

Conversely, will the Democrats?

You beat me to it. I was going to mention that very thing. It seems to me that the Democrats are willing to shut down the government over these very issues. Neither side is willing to compromise so why not just point the finger (middle one in this case) at the other side and say, "It is their fault!".

Immie

No sane lawmaker is going to allow "abortion" to dictate the fate of the United States government, plain and simple. Governing is not a game where you see how far you can push the limit before NOT getting your way.

What's funny is the Republicans now appear shocked that Democrats are just saying NO. Karma's a bitch.

Forum List

Back