Will Food Prices DOUBLE Within A Decade?

I grow some of mine....I used to grow more, but I don't have a tiller at the moment..

Best to rent one.

You only use it twice a year, and it tends to ruin them when they sit there for months on end.

True, but I do know how to fix them..I use a turning fork and spade to tender the ground for planting, then use my old Papa's push disk to furrow..When I am too old for that, I'll get a tiller...With a tiler I could plant my 2 acres that are cleared, but maintenance of the garden is another matter..and takes the most time to grow food..
Then for pests I use organic control methods as best possible, and only use pesticides when over loaded with pests.
The hardest to control is vine borers that kill plants by boring into the plants at ground level.Squash, pumpkins and that sort of plants they love..

If food gets unaffordable expect more and more people breaking into homes. Invest in lead just in case.

Sounds like California.

We just put bars on our windows and doors so the drug addicts can't break in.

When the meth craze in our area was hot they would steal my power tools, but it is over now and living in the country alleviates many of the would be thieves. The house down the way around the corner was burned down when the were cooking meth.. Now we don't have the problems of theft like we used to.

Do you grow your own food? Do you know how to grow your own food? Are you willing to learn how to grow your own food?

No, yes, and moot question. I used to raise vegetables and I am in a pool with a client who is a custom butcher so I have easy access to organically raised meat and poultry. I'm working off the last of my share (1/6) of a young bull slaughtered in March. I passed on the lamb this Easter, but we are getting close to time for a goat roast.

According to an Arizona State University professor you had better brace yourself. Based on plenty of data he predicts that food prices will likely double within the next 10 years.

Quote above and below from: Are You Ready For The Price Of Food To More Than Double By The End Of This Decade?

Avocados likely to go up 17 to 35 cents to as much as $1.60 each.
Berries likely to rise 21 to 43 cents to as much as $3.46 per clamshell container.
Broccoli likely to go up 20 to 40 cents to a possible $2.18 per pound.
Grapes likely to rise 26 to 50 cents to a possible $2.93 per pound.
Lettuce likely to rise 31 to 62 cents to as much as $2.44 per head.
Packaged salad likely to go up 17 to 34 cents to a possible $3.03 per bag.
Peppers likely to go up 18 to 35 cents to a possible $2.48 per pound.
Tomatoes likely to rise 22 to 45 cents to a possible $2.84 per pound.
A couple of years ago I purchased a pallet of freeze dried food in #10 cans as a buffer and backup just in case we ever had an economic collapse. The food has a 20 to 30 year shelf life and is in my basement just in case I ever find myself unemployed or if food becomes scarce for some reason. I believe I have enough food to feed one person for approximately 2 years.
Hope this helps that small minority who believes in the wisdom of preparing today for hard times tomorrow.

I applaud your foresight and diligence. I'm a couple of generations removed from the farm, but still close enough to know you can save about 20% on food bills by buying fresh produce in season and putting it up. Beyond that, I'm careful about rotating stock (a lot of food hoarders mess up and end up wasting food). And of course I try to have emergency supplies for hurricanes and such topped up. But the end-of-civilization scenarios I don't bother with.

The prices mentioned in the article are not really out of line. Doubling in ten years is a 7.2% growth rate. Since that's nominal prices, your income would also be growing. Project a 3% rate of inflation and real prices are projected to rise 4% or so. Then add the fact that agricultural prices generally account for less than 10% of food costs (the rest being processing, transportation, marketing, and distribution), there is a pretty strong buffer there.

Yes, we will be paying more of income for food in ten years than we do now. I just don't think it justifies doing anything a prudent person wouldn't do anyway.

I'm not too sure my income will keep up with inflation. We haven't seen but a single, 3% raise in the past 4 years. That means we've all taken a cut in pay because it's not enough to keep up with rapidly rising costs. We're supposed to get a bonus quarterly (if we reach certain sales goals). We've gotten one bonus in the past 5 quarters. The bonus was $61.00. LOL

We've given our customers two, 4% price increases over a 6 month period and they're not happy. We've already lost several accounts as a result. So, when you're standing in my shoes things don't look very good at all.

As for prudence, I'm hoping to convert a few people to a more prudent lifestyle starting right now. I know a bunch of people who never give tomorrow a second look. I'm hoping that they will start.

If food gets unaffordable expect more and more people breaking into homes. Invest in lead just in case.

Lots of lead and I mean LOTS. Not just a box or two or three. I'm talking about thousands of rounds. Defending our private, little castles will become a reality if you live in or near a city. I can almost throw a rock at downtown Denver. I'm also not too far from the base of the Rocky Mountains. So I have the best and the worst of two worlds.

Lots of lead and I mean LOTS. Not just a box or two or three. I'm talking about thousands of rounds. Defending our private, little castles will become a reality if you live in or near a city. I can almost throw a rock at downtown Denver. I'm also not too far from the base of the Rocky Mountains. So I have the best and the worst of two worlds.

I'd love to go to that area. I was there in 1984 and traveled through the Rockies and slept in my station wagon..

If the projected size of the Nino is even close to right monsoons and mudslides this fall in Cali is what to expect.

If the projected size of the Nino is even close to right monsoons and mudslides this fall in Cali is what to expect.

Having been born and raised in California I know how those Santa Ana winds can really whip up the dust and cause lots of damage too. God forbid there be any sort of wild fire during a Santa Ana wind. It's nearly impossible to extinguish.

But you're right, drought followed by heavy rains will certainly cause lots of run off, floods, mudslides, etc. Then there's also the potential of hail damage that can totally decimate a crop.

A quick search turns of samples of theconomiccollapseblog's past wisdom:

From 2010: Rampant Inflation In 2011?

From 2011: LOL ? This Stock Market Rally Is For Suckers

From 2012: The Coming Derivatives Panic That Will Destroy Global Financial Markets

This dude is really good at finding topics to predict impending doom about, just the part about much of it actually happening is where he falls short. Doesn't matter, he just rinses and repeats to get more ad-clicks and make more money from selling fear to suckers. He does some sort of angle on the food one a couple times a year.

Then for you ... it's probably best not to prepare for hard times. It can't happen in America -- right?

I'd love to go to that area. I was there in 1984 and traveled through the Rockies and slept in my station wagon..

I've been to several of America's mountain ranges. The only range I like better than the Rocky Mountains is the High Sierra Mountains of California/Nevada. I spent many vacations hunting or fishing in those mountains.

No they won't. And can we please keep the global warming crap from taking over the thread?

Last edited:
No the won't. And can we please keep the global warming crap from taking over the thread?

I'm not a proponent of the "global warming" nonsense but I do know that run-of-the-mill, natural disasters occur all the time. Since we've (Americans) seen our fair share of them in recent weeks I can't help but think that food prices will be effected in a significant way.

I personally stock up on necessities as a buffer for any and all sorts of potential "hard times." About 3 winters ago a winter ice-storm left me without power for 36 solid hours. It was extremely cold. I was the only person in my neighborhood who was prepared. I hooked up to my generator and kept my refrigerator and freezer and a couple of lights going and I brought in a 100lb propane tank and kept the inside of my home toasty warm with a Mr. Heater.

I still had enough available watts left on my generator to loan an electric heater and a lamp to a lady next door who was gravely ill with cancer.

The moral of the story: being prepared is a lot better than not being prepared. :D

... and kept the inside of my home toasty warm with a Mr. Heater.
You do know to have some ventilation going, right? People croak here every outage by doing that. I used on for many years at a shop but had air coming in, it burns the oxygen.

Yes sir. There's a chart that I found online that explained how much ventilation I would need. I opened two windows about 3" on opposite ends of my home. That provided plenty of ventilation without compromising the warmth created by the Mr. Heater.

I have an emergency supply of necessities along with ample ability to keep warm for 3 years. I also grow My own food. The only thing I would miss is meat, but that won't kill Me if I go without. However, the deer population is pretty high and if push came to shove, I know how to hunt.

Forum List

Back