Will Food Prices DOUBLE Within A Decade?

DriftingSand

Cast Iron Member
Feb 16, 2014
State of Disgust!
Do you grow your own food? Do you know how to grow your own food? Are you willing to learn how to grow your own food? According to an Arizona State University professor you had better brace yourself. Based on plenty of data he predicts that food prices will likely double within the next 10 years.

A professor at the W. P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University named Timothy Richards has calculated what the drought in California is going to do to produce prices at our supermarkets in the near future.
Quote above and below from: Are You Ready For The Price Of Food To More Than Double By The End Of This Decade?

Avocados likely to go up 17 to 35 cents to as much as $1.60 each.
Berries likely to rise 21 to 43 cents to as much as $3.46 per clamshell container.
Broccoli likely to go up 20 to 40 cents to a possible $2.18 per pound.
Grapes likely to rise 26 to 50 cents to a possible $2.93 per pound.
Lettuce likely to rise 31 to 62 cents to as much as $2.44 per head.
Packaged salad likely to go up 17 to 34 cents to a possible $3.03 per bag.
Peppers likely to go up 18 to 35 cents to a possible $2.48 per pound.
Tomatoes likely to rise 22 to 45 cents to a possible $2.84 per pound.
A couple of years ago I purchased a pallet of freeze dried food in #10 cans as a buffer and backup just in case we ever had an economic collapse. The food has a 20 to 30 year shelf life and is in my basement just in case I ever find myself unemployed or if food becomes scarce for some reason. I believe I have enough food to feed one person for approximately 2 years. Following are a few sites that some of you may be interested in if you want to start preparing for hard times right now:

Emergency Essentials - Food Storage Emergency Preparedness Emergency Kits

Efoods Direct

Honeyville | The Leader in Food Storage & Baking Ingredients

Wise Food Storage - Emergency, Long Term, and Camping Meals

If anyone is interested in storing large quantities of water here's a good site for buying water-friendly containers. I have two of them and currently store about 200 gallons of water just for drinking and cooking purposes:

Plastic Water Tanks | Vertical Potable Drinking Water Tanks

If you're interested in buying non-GMO, heirloom seeds (natural seeds) then here are a couple of good sites:

HEIRLOOM SEEDS - over 1450 varieties of heirloom (non-hybrid) seeds including heirloom vegetable seeds, heirloom flower seeds and heirloom herb seeds.

Victory Heirloom Seeds - Rare, Open-Pollinated and Heirloom Seeds

Hope this helps that small minority who believes in the wisdom of preparing today for hard times tomorrow.

As long as the world population increases the demand will force prices up. What we are missing that happened in times past were, plagues and wars that killed many humans..

I grow some of mine....I used to grow more, but I don't have a tiller at the moment..

I actually like growing my own veggies. My wife used to can vegetables but she's not with me anymore so I'm going to see if I can learn how to do it. Heirloom fruits and veggies are better for you than store-bought anyway.

As long as the world population increases the demand will force prices up. What we are missing that happened in times past were, plagues and wars that killed many humans..

Increased populations coupled with droughts coupled with rising cost of doing business spells disaster at some point.

I grow some of mine....I used to grow more, but I don't have a tiller at the moment..

I actually like growing my own veggies. My wife used to can vegetables but she's not with me anymore so I'm going to see if I can learn how to do it. Heirloom fruits and veggies are better for you than store-bought anyway.

I agree. I inherited my grandparents ability to can and do have a pressure cooker. I sucked at pickles...

Yes. The government has so much debt that it will use inflation to reduce it. Of course, they exclude FOOD from the official inflation rate, so the poor slobs who live on government entitlements (vote serfs) will see be forced into cheaper and cheaper food, cf. Big Agri corn and wheat.

As the old times did it was to get a hot plate and use outside to defray the heat that is put off by the pressure cooker. My grandparents did not have but one window AC in the house and my Papa said AC's ruined you..

Increased populations coupled with droughts coupled with rising cost of doing business spells disaster at some point.

Here's a thought: let's stop burning FOOD for FUEL.

It won't even take a decade! The current weather is bringing about some severe situations of drought and flooding which will severely hamper farmers and ranchers. Beef prices are already increasing,

Another problem is lack of feed for cattle, pigs, and chickens - mainly due to the misguided effort to turn food grains and grasses into biomass for fuel. Shortages always bring about increases in prices.

Beside, just how many food products use corn oil and what will happen to their prices when it becomes scarce?

Better start buying bulk now and save for the future!

I couldn't get food stamps if I was starving.. I own too much land and have too much income...No biggie, as a pound of beans and cornbread will last me 3 days and it costs less than 5 bucks to eat..

Do you grow your own food? Do you know how to grow your own food? Are you willing to learn how to grow your own food?

No, yes, and moot question. I used to raise vegetables and I am in a pool with a client who is a custom butcher so I have easy access to organically raised meat and poultry. I'm working off the last of my share (1/6) of a young bull slaughtered in March. I passed on the lamb this Easter, but we are getting close to time for a goat roast.

According to an Arizona State University professor you had better brace yourself. Based on plenty of data he predicts that food prices will likely double within the next 10 years.

A professor at the W. P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University named Timothy Richards has calculated what the drought in California is going to do to produce prices at our supermarkets in the near future.
Quote above and below from: Are You Ready For The Price Of Food To More Than Double By The End Of This Decade?

Berries likely to rise 21 to 43 cents to as much as $3.46 per clamshell container.
A couple of years ago I purchased a pallet of freeze dried food in #10 cans as a buffer and backup just in case we ever had an economic collapse. The food has a 20 to 30 year shelf life and is in my basement just in case I ever find myself unemployed or if food becomes scarce for some reason. I believe I have enough food to feed one person for approximately 2 years.
Hope this helps that small minority who believes in the wisdom of preparing today for hard times tomorrow.

I applaud your foresight and diligence. I'm a couple of generations removed from the farm, but still close enough to know you can save about 20% on food bills by buying fresh produce in season and putting it up. Beyond that, I'm careful about rotating stock (a lot of food hoarders mess up and end up wasting food). And of course I try to have emergency supplies for hurricanes and such topped up. But the end-of-civilization scenarios I don't bother with.

The prices mentioned in the article are not really out of line. Doubling in ten years is a 7.2% growth rate. Since that's nominal prices, your income would also be growing. Project a 3% rate of inflation and real prices are projected to rise 4% or so. Then add the fact that agricultural prices generally account for less than 10% of food costs (the rest being processing, transportation, marketing, and distribution), there is a pretty strong buffer there.

Yes, we will be paying more of income for food in ten years than we do now. I just don't think it justifies doing anything a prudent person wouldn't do anyway.

What were food prices ten years ago, twenty years ago, thirty years ago, and so forth.

I must be missing something. They have a professor who's estimating some price increases for certain fruits and veggies that will be impacted by long-term California drought, most of which show a possible range of 7% to up to 20% for price increases.

How does a very small subset of what most people buy at the grocery store increasing 7-20% because of a drought become food prices doubling?

Richards estimates the following possible price increases due to the drought:

The rest of that "article" is the usual economic collapse blog drivel, with lots of speculation of worst case scenarios and statements that are put in a context to sound scarier than they are.

I can't believe the economicollapseblog guy is still making a living with this schtick, it was almost understandable making a buck selling this kinda shit back in 2009 but it is amazing he's still pulling it off. Someone should take the time to go back a few years into the archives and find all his fear stuff about impending hyperinflation, banking system collapse, etc. that never came to fruition.

A quick search turns of samples of theconomiccollapseblog's past wisdom:

From 2010: Rampant Inflation In 2011?

From 2011: LOL ? This Stock Market Rally Is For Suckers

From 2012: The Coming Derivatives Panic That Will Destroy Global Financial Markets

This dude is really good at finding topics to predict impending doom about, just the part about much of it actually happening is where he falls short. Doesn't matter, he just rinses and repeats to get more ad-clicks and make more money from selling fear to suckers. He does some sort of angle on the food one a couple times a year.

Forum List

Back