Will Diplomatic Ties With Repressive Islamic Nation Follow Obama's Cuba Surprise?

PGreen

Nov 24, 2014
WASHINGTON – As the Obama administration opens up diplomatic relations with Cuba after a half-century, concern is looming over whether the United States similarly will extend diplomatic recognition to Iran and restore connections severed in 1979 when the Islamic revolution brought conservative clerics to power following the overthrow of the U.S.-backed Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.

Alarms sound over possible move to recognize Iran

By the way, what do you think about Obama's claim that ISIS is equivalent to a junior varsity basketball team? It seems a bit delusional.

I do not understand why normalizing diplomatic relations with our "enemies" is seen in such a negative light by conservative types. It's not like we are giving them anything except an official channel to talk to us. We had continual diplomatic relations with the Soviets throughout the cold war because it was seen by both sides as a way to avoid war, perhaps that is why conservatives do not want diplomatic relations with these rogue nations, they want to have a war with them.

Though I do not see normalizing relations with Iran as a possibility, I do think it would be a good idea. Iran is a very different, Persian, culture than the rest of the, Sunni, mid-east. Though their rhetoric is inflammatory, they have not been a militarily aggressive nation, and they have not supported terrorism (at least not for a very long time).

The U.S. is being used as 'muscle' in the interests of the mid-eastern Sunni countries, especially Saudi Arabia. We are caught in an ancient conflict between the Persian Shiites and the Arab Sunnis. Historically, as is being demonstrated by ISIS currently, it's the Sunnis/Ottomans that have been the aggressors.

What's more is that terrorism is primarily coming from the Sunnis. We may have strong problems with Iran, but terrorism and ISIS are way more of a threat to us than the Iranians.

ISIS has a plan - to form a united pan Arabic Sunni nation. They've been supported by Turkey who would like to see a return of the Ottoman empire. Even Bin Laden, in his statement just after 9-11, stated '70 years' of subjugation - a reference to the destruction of the Ottoman empire.

There is no doubt that a pan-Arabic nation is the greatest threat to western civilization that there has ever been. That threat far outwieghs any differences that we have with Iran.

Though I do not see normalizing relations with Iran as a possibility, I do think it would be a good idea. Iran is a very different, Persian, culture than the rest of the, Sunni, mid-east. Though their rhetoric is inflammatory, they have not been a militarily aggressive nation, and they have not supported terrorism (at least not for a very long time).

The U.S. is being used as 'muscle' in the interests of the mid-eastern Sunni countries, especially Saudi Arabia. We are caught in an ancient conflict between the Persian Shiites and the Arab Sunnis. Historically, as is being demonstrated by ISIS currently, it's the Sunnis/Ottomans that have been the aggressors.

What's more is that terrorism is primarily coming from the Sunnis. We may have strong problems with Iran, but terrorism and ISIS are way more of a threat to us than the Iranians.

ISIS has a plan - to form a united pan Arabic Sunni nation. They've been supported by Turkey who would like to see a return of the Ottoman empire. Even Bin Laden, in his statement just after 9-11, stated '70 years' of subjugation - a reference to the destruction of the Ottoman empire.

There is no doubt that a pan-Arabic nation is the greatest threat to western civilization that there has ever been. That threat far outwieghs any differences that we have with Iran.
Yes, turns out there are worse things than Iran, they seem almost like reasonable people next to those ISIS maniacs. On the bright side I think ISIS is on a path to ruin the appeal of Jihad for young Islamic men.

Forum List

Back