Why you should only drive 5 mph

I drive one that was built back when they made vehicles out of steel.

1977 Ford F-250 Highboy.

Picture177.jpg

This one isn't mine. Mine is not as straight (yet) and is that flat black they used in the 70's. My tires are not quite as beefy either.

A Ford Focus rear ended me at a traffic light.

Focus completely totaled.

F-250...$150 to straighten step bumper.

I drive one that was built back when they made vehicles out of steel.

1977 Ford F-250 Highboy.

This one isn't mine. Mine is not as straight (yet) and is that flat black they used in the 70's. My tires are not quite as beefy either.

A Ford Focus rear ended me at a traffic light.

Focus completely totaled.

F-250...$150 to straighten step bumper.

That's all fine and dandy, but if you went into a frontal crash you would be killed. Here's why:

No airbags
Few if any crumple zones
Vehicle is made out of steel, which doesn't absorb a crash the same way a modern car will. The reason why the Focus was "totaled" was because it was designed to be totaled in order for the front of the car to absorb as much of the crash as possible and deflect the rest of the crash around the occupant. In your truck, the energy of the crash would be sent into the driver's cabin.
Also, the truck has a very high center of gravity which would make it highly prone to roll overs. The roofs of older vehicles are not reinforced, plus the extra weight of the tires on top of the vehicle would make the likelyhood of a total collapse of the roof highly more likely. Your skull could not withstand the total g-force pressure being put on it which would make skull failure highly likely. There aint much protecting you between your skull and your brain.

I would feel much safer in a Focus than your truck.

That's all fine and dandy, but if you went into a frontal crash you would be killed. Here's why:

No airbags
Few if any crumple zones
Vehicle is made out of steel, which doesn't absorb a crash the same way a modern car will. The reason why the Focus was "totaled" was because it was designed to be totaled in order for the front of the car to absorb as much of the crash as possible and deflect the rest of the crash around the occupant. In your truck, the energy of the crash would be sent into the driver's cabin.
Also, the truck has a very high center of gravity which would make it highly prone to roll overs. The roofs of older vehicles are not reinforced, plus the extra weight of the tires on top of the vehicle would make the likelyhood of a total collapse of the roof highly more likely. Your skull could not withstand the total g-force pressure being put on it which would make skull failure highly likely. There aint much protecting you between your skull and your brain.

I would feel much safer in a Focus than your truck.

I disagree. The shear volume of the big truck in mass and structural steel is why the Ford Focus was destroyed, and the person in the truck felt a little bump. A train would have to hit a truck like that Ford F-250 to do what you're describing to it. A little compact car of today isn't going to inflict a lot of damage, even at a higher rate of speed.

I'll take my big truck over your little compact coffin anyday...

My 1997 GMC K1500 Sierra...

3053002606_0579f1bd5a_o.jpg

I disagree. The shear volume of the big truck in mass and structural steel is why the Ford Focus was destroyed, and the person in the truck felt a little bump. A train would have to hit a truck like that Ford F-250 to do what you're describing to it. A little compact car of today isn't going to inflict a lot of damage, even at a higher rate of speed.

That's exactly what it felt like...a little bump, like hitting a deeper than usual pothole. When I got out and saw the mangled condition of that Focus, I looked around to see what he hit before he hit me.

Nothing, just some skidmarks leading to what was left of his car.

I couldn't believe all that damage was caused by that miniscule collision.

I'm with you, I feel much safer in my truck.

BTW, your GMC is fantastic. :thup:

That's exactly what it felt like...a little bump, like hitting a deeper than usual pothole. When I got out and saw the mangled condition of that Focus, I looked around to see what he hit before he hit me.

Nothing, just some skidmarks leading to what was left of his car.

I couldn't believe all that damage was caused by that miniscule collision.

I'm with you, I feel much safer in my truck.

BTW, your GMC is fantastic. :thup:

coming out of the parking lot at work one night, my husband felt a little bump on his old 1972 Ranchero. He stopped and got out and looked. This guy in a brand new mustang had run a stop sign <no lights on> and his car hit the truck in such a way that it flipped and was sitting on it's top in the middle of the parking lot. Tiny little dent in the Ranchero, the Mustang was totalled. We decided not to file a claim as we were never going to fix that little dent any way. Silly us, we thought we were doing the guy a favor but his insurance company filed against us and we ended up having to file against him. It ended up costing his insurance company more than $350. Apparently, if you don't file a report, they think you might actually believe it's your fault so they automatically file a report against you. How stupid is that?

My 1997 GMC K1500 Sierra...

3053002606_0579f1bd5a_o.jpg

Yeah, I'll take my 01 GMC 2500 HD any day.

Forum List

Back