Don’t recharge it just replace it

watchingfromafar

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2017

When you go to fill your tank with gas, it may take 5 minutes.

To recharge your EV it takes maybe an hour while you sit and wait.

There is a much faster way to charge your EV, instead of sitting and waiting, why not just exchange your discharged battery with a charged one?

1696102060747.png

You drive up to a battery exchange site, much like a gas station today only it is more like a car drive though wash where you drive your car between two rails until the red light flashed to stop. A mechanical arm reaches up, removing your discharged battery, replacing your discharged one with a charged one. Your used battery is checked, and you are given credit for any remaining charge still in the battery.

The turn around time maybe five minutes

Comments pro or con welcome

There is a much faster way to charge your EV, instead of sitting and waiting, why not just exchange your discharged battery with a charged one?

View attachment 836377

You drive up to a battery exchange site, much like a gas station today only it is more like a car drive though wash where you drive your car between two rails until the red light flashed to stop. A mechanical arm reaches up, removing your discharged battery, replacing your discharged one with a charged one. Your used battery is checked, and you are given credit for any remaining charge still in the battery.

Not a bad concept except for the bulk and mass of them.

View attachment 836377

At the now-defunct Campbell's Soup factory in Sacramento, where I used to work, I drove an electric forklift. Even later on, with upgraded batteries and chargers, it wasn't feasible to charge the batteries as fast during downtime as they got used during uptime, so it was necessary, with the old systems at least once a day, and even with the new systems, at least every few days, to swap out the depleted battery with a freshly-charged one.

These forklifts were designed so that charging out a battery was a minor, routine procedure. The process involved using a second forklift to lift the depleted battery out and set it in front of a charger, and then to lift a charged battery from in front of a different charger and put it in the forklift.

Electric cars do not seem to be designed to make replacing the battery easy at all.

If the point is ever reached, within my lifetime, where electric vehicle are anywhere close as practical as internal-combustion-engine vehicles for mainstream use, I think that they will have to be redesigned so that batteries are easily replaceable, and in infrastructure will have to be established where one can get a depleted battery swapped out for a full battery, at a similar cost and in a similar time frame to refueling a real car. I just do not see any technology in the foreseeable future that will make it possible to charge an EV batter in place at a rate anywhere close to comparable to the rate at which a real car can be refueled; and for many of us, having to spend hours to charge an EV instead of minutes to refuel a real car just isn't acceptable at all.

At the now-defunct Campbell's Soup factory in Sacramento, where I used to work, I drove an electric forklift. Even later on, with upgraded batteries and chargers, it wasn't feasible to charge the batteries as fast during downtime as they got used during uptime, so it was necessary, with the old systems at least once a day, and even with the new systems, at least every few days, to swap out the depleted battery with a freshly-charged one.

These forklifts were designed so that charging out a battery was a minor, routine procedure. The process involved using a second forklift to lift the depleted battery out and set it in front of a charger, and then to lift a charged battery from in front of a different charger and put it in the forklift.

Electric cars do not seem to be designed to make replacing the battery easy at all.

If the point is ever reached, within my lifetime, where electric vehicle are anywhere close as practical as internal-combustion-engine vehicles for mainstream use, I think that they will have to be redesigned so that batteries are easily replaceable, and in infrastructure will have to be established where one can get a depleted battery swapped out for a full battery, at a similar cost and in a similar time frame to refueling a real car. I just do not see any technology in the foreseeable future that will make it possible to charge an EV batter in place at a rate anywhere close to comparable to the rate at which a real car can be refueled; and for many of us, having to spend hours to charge an EV instead of minutes to refuel a real car just isn't acceptable at all.
Once battery design is universalized, vending machines eliminate the second forklift.

You need to keep in mind that fossil fuels are finite. At the current rate of consumption, all known oil reserves will be burned and gone within the next 30+/- years. The real crunch will occur before then. We need to look for alternatives sooner rather than later.

At least that is how I see it coming our way

You need to keep in mind that fossil fuels are finite. At the current rate of consumption, all known oil reserves will be burned and gone within the next 30+/- years. The real crunch will occur before then. We need to look for alternatives sooner rather than later.

What is the source of power for electric charging stations? By and large it is petrochemical. There are some alternatives like hydroelectric. But that won’t satisfy our demand for electrical supply.

Don’t is true that our petrochemical supplies (oil and gas) won’t last much beyond 30 years, then turning to EV’s now is a very worthless mere gesture — UNLESS we make very creative use of the time for viable mass alternatives to oil and gas.

We will never "run out" of fossil fuels, but they may eventually become prohibitively expensive at some point in the future. So far, nuclear power is their only practical large-scale energy alternative. Wind/solar/geothermal energy sources are not practical without massive government subsidies. Hydrogen fuel may soon replace battery-powered vehicles.

You need to keep in mind that fossil fuels are finite. At the current rate of consumption, all known oil reserves will be burned and gone within the next 30+/- years.

I've been hearing that, with claims that we'd run out in as little as ten years, for far longer than thirty years.

I say that your post can be summarized much more concisely as follows: WOLF! WOLF!

This is the part of the story where the townspeople stop showing up every time your kind cry WOLF! because we've all been lied to too many times.

Forty years ago I was sure we would run out of oil within 20-25 years. I've never had an electric car or even a hybrid. If I live long enough my next car will probably be an electric. But, I've been wrong before.

Forty years ago I was sure we would run out of oil within 20-25 years. I've never had an electric car or even a hybrid. If I live long enough my next car will probably be an electric. But, I've been wrong before.

I do not expect to live to see the day that electric cars become nearly as practical as real cars. It may happen, eventually, and probably will, but I expect that it will not be until well after I have shuffled off this mortal coil.

1000lb changeout is like a motor. They must be ganged together, commected and securley tied down. A lot of the car has to cone apart to get under the back seat.

EVs are totaled with slight damage to battery packs. Battery technology needs to improve to allow this in 100s of million cars. Imagine the lineup at 7AM Mon morning.

1000lb changeout is like a motor. They must be ganged together, commected and securley tied down. A lot of the car has to cone apart to get under the back seat.

EVs are totaled with slight damage to battery packs. Battery technology needs to improve to allow this in 100s of million cars. Imagine the lineup at 7AM Mon morning.
You've never worked on cars full time, have you?

You've never worked on cars full time, have you?

A crazy question to ask? Full-time? Uh no, no more. I advaced up. You can’t put in a 1000lb assembly without a lift or help. Where do you install it? There is no door on a Tesla to slide it in/out? Get off me!

my first job was in a Gas station. i tried to do all my own work when poor. Now Ive learned to hire experts for todays more complicated mechanical electrical mix.

is this where you post “you’re a lying corksucker” and go elsewhere?

Last edited:
Silly question to ask? You cant put in a 1000lb assembly without a lift or help. Where do you install it? There is no door on a Tesla to slide it in/out? Get off me!

Electric cars would have to be made very differently than they now are, in order for this to work.

This was my forklift at Campbell's Soup…

Forklift7.jpg

The big black thing under the seat is the battery. It's roughly a cubic yard in size, and weighs about 3,500 pounds.

The way the forklift is made, the seat tilts up, then you can come in from the side with another forklift and lift the battery out. Come back with the same other forklift carrying a fresh battery, and drop it in where you took out the old one. Very quick, easy procedure. You'd hook the old battery up to a charger, where it would probably take most of a day to fully recharge, but that doesn't matter, because you've got a fresh battery, and it only took about five or ten minutes to change it out.

That's how it'll have to work with electric cars, before they will be a practical alternative to real cars. You'll need to be able to drive into a battery-changing station, where someone will quickly remove your depleted battery, put in on a charger, and then install another fully-charged battery that had been sitting on a charger long enough to be filled. Hours or days later, depending on how long it takes to charge, the battery that was taken out of your car will be fully charged, and will be put into someone else's car.

A crazy question to ask? Full-time? Uh no, no more. I advaced up. You can’t put in a 1000lb assembly without a lift or help. Where do you install it? There is no door on a Tesla to slide it in/out? Get off me!

my first job was in a Gas station. i tried to do all my own work when poor. Now Ive learned to hire experts for todays more complicated mechanical electrical mix.

is this where you post “you’re a lying corksucker” and go elsewhere?
No more like you're a sock tucker!

I've been hearing that, with claims that we'd run out in as little as ten years, for far longer than thirty years.

I say that your post can be summarized much more concisely as follows:
WOLF! WOLF!
Facts are facts and wishful thinking is something altogether different.

Summary Table as of 2017
Oil Reserves
1,650,585,140,000 barrels
Oil Consumption
barrels per year
97,103,871 barrels per day
Reserves/Consumption
47 (years left)

World Oil Statistics - Worldometer
The truth will set you free
:)-

Facts are facts and wishful thinking is something altogether different.

Summary Table as of 2017
Oil Reserves
1,650,585,140,000 barrels
Oil Consumption
barrels per year
97,103,871 barrels per day
Reserves/Consumption
47 (years left)

World Oil Statistics - Worldometer
The truth will set you free
:)-
You've never told the truth. You just repeat what your masters tell you.

Forum List

Back