Why we are screwed, in one chart

I have been against term limits for a variety of reasons. What if we actually did get a good man in office? How long is the learning curve?

I always believed in term limits via the ballot box but I am starting to have my doubts. As g5000 said we don't vote OUR representative out. After Obama said that if the economy didn't improve, and it really did not, he should be a one term president and won anyway I am thinking there is no hope. Term limits are apparently the answer, now all we have to do is convince those who have everything to lose by passing term limits, good luck with that.

Limiting terms is addressing a symptom of profuse bleeding with a band-aid.
The answer lay in a demand for a fair and simple tax code.​

If we remove from congress the power to customize the tax obligations of friends and political donors, much of the moneyed political corruption in this country will disappear.

:dunno: Who in their right mind would give million$ to a politician or a party if they couldn't obtain tax breaks in return?​

`

That chart is easily explained.

People believe their Congressman is a great guy because he brings home more bacon to the district than the district pays for in taxes.

People believe all other Congressman are assholes because they bring home more bacon to their districts than their districts pay for in taxes.

"Gimme gimme gimme, and make that guy over there pay for it."

the problem is that EVERYONE is getting more back then they put in, at least in my uninformed opinion. How can they keep doing this to us and we just keep taking it? Really going to be hard when the electorate are way too busy trying to make ends meet. When I talk to a democrat that I damn well know doesn't follow politics tell me that Hillary will make a great president I just palm slap my head in wonderment. Republicans do the same thing, me included, but the Hillary comment is the last I heard.

The problem is one party admits they do as the other party. I've yet to hear/read any Democrats who fault their party.

One of the few positives about the GOP which then slaps them in the face for doing so is MORE Republicans admit that
it is done on BOTH sides, the Democrats admit the same thing!

And this is because for the most part GOPers are generally more intelligent. GOPers are more inclined to be principled.
GOPers are generally more mature.

Seriously just note when you read/hear any comments from a GOP or a Democrat.. which party member is more inclined
to say as you said.."Republicans do the same thing".. from a GOPer!

That is the problem. The Democrats put party first before the country.

I don't know of any surveys or studies to substantiate my claim that the major difference between the GOP and Democrats
is GOP blames themselves more often the Democrats do.

I have been against term limits for a variety of reasons. What if we actually did get a good man in office? How long is the learning curve?

I always believed in term limits via the ballot box but I am starting to have my doubts. As g5000 said we don't vote OUR representative out. After Obama said that if the economy didn't improve, and it really did not, he should be a one term president and won anyway I am thinking there is no hope. Term limits are apparently the answer, now all we have to do is convince those who have everything to lose by passing term limits, good luck with that.

No plan is perfect, no system is without flaws or weaknesses.

What I care about is the net result, and I really don't think it's even close.

I have been won over, but I don't think it is going to happen in our life time. So let's start grass roots organizations that can fight these guys. Like a group against taxation and debt, you know like the Tea Party. Yeah start a group that wants fiscal responsibility so both sides of the aisle can dump on them. We're screwed.

Not if we focus on demanding tax reform.
Fair and Simple, baby! :thup:

Voters who invest in their incumbent congress people by voting them in time and again must have the frame of mind of a person who buys 500 pounds of potatoes and happy and smug in the belief that he is all set and he will never have to buy potatoes again.

Obviously, after a while he'll be eating rotten potatoes, but, by God, he paid for it, he'll not throw it away.

How about John Conyers?
Fifty fucking years in office.

And he's the guy who said about ObamaCare....
He needed a room full of Lawyers to explain the bill to him..
But he sure as hell voted for it.

Other poster geezers for term limits...
Robert Byrd
Strom Thurmond
John Dingle
Sam Rayburn
Ted Kennedy
Charlie Rangel
Don Young
Thad Cochran
Ted Stevens
Pat Leahey
Henry Waxman

ALL have 39+ years in office...all but the last two have 40+.

Dishonorable mention: Claiborne Pell, 6-term (36 years) Senator from RI.

In 1984, President Reagan signed a bill that put all federal employees hired after that date, including congress-critters, on the Social Security system, effectively grand-fathering out the cush government retirement plan that congress had enjoyed.

If you want Social Security fixed, you have to fire your ancient representatives who've been creeping around D.C. since the 80's and replace them with Monkeys who have a vested interest in the system.
Simple as that. :thup:

I generally don't vote for a Candidate.

I generally vote AGAINST the other candidate due to a lack of choices.

So my vote boils down to voting in the one I think will do the least damage.

This is what we've become.

And the TEA Party is attempting to take some of these Status Quo Reps out. Only to be attacked by both parties because the STATUS QUO must be maintained.............

So simple, yet so sad.

click-through-for-original.jpg

your chart is false or we wouldn't have the teatard influx.

How about John Conyers?

people like and respect john conyers.

term limits equals "stop me before i vote again". what it really is ... is the last refuge of the sore loser.

One of the reasons incumbents are popular with voters and get re-elected is the fact that they load indecent amount of pork on bills that must be passed.

If the president had line item veto, he would be able to scratch the pork off the bill.

An HONEST president, that is.

So simple, yet so sad.

click-through-for-original.jpg

your chart is false or we wouldn't have the teatard influx.

LOL

From one who would need his head surgically removed if Obama stops suddenly.

Liberal Democrats toe the party line, and eat their own.

Please explain to us what happened to the Blue Dogs for daring to challenge the status quo.

I throw both parties under the bus all the time based on the subject. Where is that from people like you.................

One of the reasons incumbents are popular with voters and get re-elected is the fact that they load indecent amount of pork on bills that must be passed.

If the president had line item veto, he would be able to scratch the pork off the bill.

An HONEST president, that is.

you mean they serve their districts?

We have term limits...they're called elections.

Relax folks...in a few years parties will be obsolete. A single megagazziolaire will be able to fund a single no party or whatever crazy party candidate all the way to the top. Dark money, foreign money, whatever will be able to buy whatever nutjob wants to fuck with the tax code. :D

No plan is perfect, no system is without flaws or weaknesses.

What I care about is the net result, and I really don't think it's even close.

I have been won over, but I don't think it is going to happen in our life time. So let's start grass roots organizations that can fight these guys. Like a group against taxation and debt, you know like the Tea Party. Yeah start a group that wants fiscal responsibility so both sides of the aisle can dump on them. We're screwed.

Not if we focus on demanding tax reform.
Fair and Simple, baby! :thup:

Honestly, I stomped my feet and demanded tax reform and nothing happened.

How about John Conyers?

term limits equals "stop me before i vote again". what it really is ... is the last refuge of the sore loser.

If term limits are good for the president and most state governors, why not for other elected officials?

How about John Conyers?

If term limits are good for the president and most state governors, why not for other elected officials?

i wouldn't have wanted it for the presidency either. that was something pushed when roosevelt kept winning much to the chagrin of those who wanted to run against him.

Forum List

Back