Why was it OK to bomb Libya but not Iran?

TT 12014745
Libya was bombed to depose its President because Obama didn't like him

That statement is absolutely false for several reasons. The UNSC authorized member states to impose a NFZ over Libya to prevent genocide. The Resolution ordered Gadhafi to stand down his tanks and artillery targeting a civilian population of half a million in Benghazi alone. Gadhafi defied the UNSC order so he was bombed very legally. The Arab League endorsed and was involved in a the bombing campaign.!

Secondly it was not because Obama didn't like him. That is such a bogus empty headed remark. Obama was critized at the time for 'leading from behind' on Libya. French fighter's took the lead at hitting Libyan tanks and artillery and stopping them from reaching dense populated rebel held cities.

Third it was a NATO Arab League joint venture.

So Too Tall in criticizing Obama for not liking Gadhafi needs to explain why Too Tall likes Gadhafi while knowing that Gadhafi was involved in the terrorist massacre of so many Americans over Lockerbie Scotland.

uuummmm.....ummmm "duty to protect" ... have they ever said who that was........ certainly was Libyan people

We should have bombed the crap out of Iran and anywhere else terrorists are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has our feckless leader's policy "evolved" or is he just a bully who picks on those who can't fight back?

Why didn't Bush invade North Korea?

Why hasn't Obama invaded North Korea?
To late. While GW was looking for nukes in the wrong country, North Korea laughed at him and began testing nukes in 2006.

What has Obama done about it in the last 7 years. Bush got Libya to abandon their plans for nukes and Obama took them out anyway.

Has our feckless leader's policy "evolved" or is he just a bully who picks on those who can't fight back?

To late. While GW was looking for nukes in the wrong country, North Korea laughed at him and began testing nukes in 2006.

What has Obama done about it in the last 7 years. Bush got Libya to abandon their plans for nukes and Obama took them out anyway.
I don't care. That POS in Libya should have been taken out by Reagan or Bush 41 when he knocked Pan Am out of the sky over Lockerbie. Better late than never.

Obama bombed the shit out of Libya to save their oil; some of the best "light, sweet crude" on the planet, for Europe.

too bad he made Libya an ISIS/AL QAEDA safe haven in the process

side tragedy: human smugglers operating out of Libya responsible for hundreds dying in rickety boats on the Mediterranean Sea trying to reach europe

TT 12014745
Libya was bombed to depose its President because Obama didn't like him

That statement is absolutely false for several reasons. The UNSC authorized member states to impose a NFZ over Libya to prevent genocide. The Resolution ordered Gadhafi to stand down his tanks and artillery targeting a civilian population of half a million in Benghazi alone. Gadhafi defied the UNSC order so he was bombed very legally. The Arab League endorsed and was involved in a the bombing campaign.!

Secondly it was not because Obama didn't like him. That is such a bogus empty headed remark. Obama was critized at the time for 'leading from behind' on Libya. French fighter's took the lead at hitting Libyan tanks and artillery and stopping them from reaching dense populated rebel held cities.

Third it was a NATO Arab League joint venture.

So Too Tall in criticizing Obama for not liking Gadhafi needs to explain why Too Tall likes Gadhafi while knowing that Gadhafi was involved in the terrorist massacre of so many Americans over Lockerbie Scotland.

you mean ghaddafi was fighting Islamic terrorists in his country; the same reason idiots like you say we should have left saddam in Iraq.

there is no escaping left-wing hypocrisy here no matter how hard you try to play the role of insider in world geopolitics

it is interesting to see that the poster trying to deflect attention away from Obama for the Libyan disaster and make it somehow different, notes that Kaddafi was mustering forces against Benghazi but doesn't say why. it is thought that as many as 40% of insurgents in Iraq came from this one corner of Libya. that kind of puts to lie the Left's idea that the Iraq insurgency was a homegrown thing

I don't care. That POS in Libya should have been taken out by Reagan or Bush 41 when he knocked Pan Am out of the sky over Lockerbie. Better late than never.

How did that work out?

You left out 8 years of Clinton. I wonder why? I did read that they paid restitution to the families.

it is interesting to see that the poster trying to deflect attention away from Obama for the Libyan disaster and make it somehow different, notes that Kaddafi was mustering forces against Benghazi but doesn't say why. it is thought that as many as 40% of insurgents in Iraq came from this one corner of Libya. that kind of puts to lie the Left's idea that the Iraq insurgency was a homegrown thing

It is thought by whom?

Bombing Libya was a monumental mistake.

Bombing Iran would probably actually have less of a destabilizing effect on the region. But I don't support that either.

You left out 8 years of Clinton. I wonder why? I did read that they paid restitution to the families.
Clinton didn't have the balls either, but by the time he got there the situation had turned into a bullshit judicial endeavor. Reagan and Bush 41 had windows of opportunity and ignored them. Bush 43 didn't have the opportunity either. Obama would not have acted if the opportunity had not arisen.

Clinton didn't have the balls either, but by the time he got there the situation had turned into a bullshit judicial endeavor. Reagan and Bush 41 had windows of opportunity and ignored them. Bush 43 didn't have the opportunity either. Obama would not have acted if the opportunity had not arisen.

I seem to recall Reagan bombing the hell out of Libya and almost getting Khadafi.
Reagan bombed Libya over the Disco bombing in Germany that killed US servicemen. It was a one night affair and resulted in Khadafi vowing revenge for the bombing allegedly killing his daughter at one of his homes that had been bombed. The end resulting Christmas present knockdown of the aircraft full of Americans returning home for the holidays was the end result. If the continued air strikes to get Khadafi had been followed up and more intense the Pan Am 103 terrorist attack probably would never have happened. So, the answer is no, Reagan did not bomb the hell out of Libya.

This is what Reagan did.

"On April 14, 1986, the United States launches air strikes against Libya in retaliation for the Libyan sponsorship of terrorism against American troops and citizens. The raid, which began shortly before 7 p.m. EST (2 a.m., April 15 in Libya), involved more than 100 U.S. Air Force and Navy aircraft, and was over within an hour. Five military targets and “terrorism centers” were hit, including the headquarters of Libyan leader Muammar al-Qaddafi."

http://www.historycom/this-day-in-history/u-s-bombs-libya

In case you missed it, here is why Bush 43 didn’t bomb them and it makes you wonder if Obama did it to support al-Qaida.

"Qaddafi surprised many around the world when he became one of the first Muslim heads of state to denounce al-Qaida after the attacks of September 11, 2001. In 2003, he gained favor with the administration of George W. Bush when he announced the existence of a program to build weapons of mass destruction in Libya and that he would allow an international agency to inspect and dismantle them. Though some in the U.S. government pointed to this as a direct and positive consequence of the ongoing war in Iraq, others pointed out that Qaddafi had essentially been making the same offer since 1999, but had been ignored. In 2004, U.K. Prime Minister Tony Blair visited Libya, one of the first western heads of state to do so in recent memory; he praised Libya during the visit as a strong ally in the international war on terror."

U.S. bombs Libya - Apr 14 1986 - HISTORY.com

I seem to recall Reagan bombing the hell out of Libya and almost getting Khadafi.
Reagan bombed Libya over the Disco bombing in Germany that killed US servicemen. It was a one night affair and resulted in Khadafi vowing revenge for the bombing allegedly killing his daughter at one of his homes that had been bombed. The end resulting Christmas present knockdown of the aircraft full of Americans returning home for the holidays was the end result. If the continued air strikes to get Khadafi had been followed up and more intense the Pan Am 103 terrorist attack probably would never have happened. So, the answer is no, Reagan did not bomb the hell out of Libya.

What did they drop, bean bags?

Are you in denial about Pan Am 103? Obviously Khadafi was not intimidated or worried from the one night token bombing. Obviously it didn't get the job done. The guy came back and blew up an airliner full of Americans without fear of retaliation.

Are you in denial about Pan Am 103? Obviously Khadafi was not intimidated or worried from the one night token bombing. Obviously it didn't get the job done. The guy came back and blew up an airliner full of Americans without fear of retaliation.

“Following a three-year joint investigation by Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary and the US Federal Bureau of Investigation, arrest warrants were issued for two Libyan nationals in November 1991. In 1999, Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi handed over the two men for trial at Camp Zeist, Netherlands after protracted negotiations and UN sanctions. In 2001, Libyan intelligence officer Abdelbaset al-Megrahi was jailed for life after being found guilty of 270 counts of murder in connection with the bombing. In August 2009, he was released by the Scottish Government on compassionate grounds after being diagnosed with prostate cancer. He died in May 2012, remaining the only person to be convicted for the attack. He had continually protested his innocence.

In 2003, Gaddafi accepted responsibility for the Lockerbie bombing and paid compensation to the families of the victims, although he maintained that he had never given the order for the attack.”

I am only interested in why Obama bombed a country that was an ally against our common enemy al-Queda. Are you in denial about that?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back