Why Unions are great for America

Now wait a minute, I've been digitizing my vinyl since Christmas. Just did a 6 album set of the "Sensational Sixties" today.
I've done alot of that too. The reason we're doing it is?

Because vinyl outlived its usefulness! :lmao:

I like to think of it as Preservation....... I even was able to record some 45's that were cracked....... Of course I've gone through 3 bottles of rubbing alcohol cleaning them first. And then I'm going to start on my cassettes......
I've had best results keeping the discs covered with the alcohol, during recording.

On cassettes: Do NOT use the Dolby noise reduction your playback deck is equipped with when transferring. Instead use the noise reduction in post-production, in your mp3 program when rendering. You'll get much better results!

Clinic:

Last edited by a moderator:
can you be specific please.
OK i once worked for a company called SQP which is a subcontractor for the city, we were laying new water mains and changing feeds over from the old ones. On this job i worked 9 and a half hour days in 105 degree plus heat, most days with only a twenty minute lunch break and on several days in the three week contract, i got no lunch break at all. Is that specific enough?
you know this...how? And this sounds like a value judgment. Everyone has those...;)
If your suggesting human resources have no value then you clearly know little about business, or perhaps you simply mean people have no value?

yes they were and power to them, then.

I am more than glad those folks early on took up the fight and helped drive the creation of an alphabet soup of gov. regulatory and grievance agencies that have, to a large extent obviated the necessity of Unions vis a vis their raison d'être. It is what it is.....

I guess you missed where i explained quite simply why we need those Unions now more than ever. Or perhaps you have never had a working class job in a "right to work state", but take it from me in arizona we desperately need unionization right here and right now because people are literally being worked to death.

Did you call OSHA?

Worked to death? Funny, I'd think that'd be on the news... like 24/7.

:lol:

There is no doubt that the Unions of old did some great things for The USA and even for the world. But the time of the all powerful Union is over. They overplayed their hand and demanded too much. Sorry, but it is time to put on the brakes.

When you start talking about a Union for fast food workers you are really stretching it. It would spell the end of Fast food. And it wouldn't take longer than one year.

simply saying a thing does not make it so, perhaps you could offer some logical argument to back your case?
Simply put, the existence of unions in the fast food and other discount retailer environments would drive labor costs to the point where the cost to the consumer would make these retailers prices cost prohibitive.
Labor is the largest portion of business expense. The cost of labor is passed along to the end user. In other words, a unionized fast food staff would require the owner of the business to charge more. So that $5 lunch at Mc Donalds may become a $10 lunch.
Unionized labor creates what is essentially a tax increase to consumers. A labor tax.
Look, union representation in the private sector has fallen to about 8% for a reason. Unions drive up costs to the employer and by extension the end user with no benefit to the end user or the business owner.
Unions.....The leadership failed to adjust. Unions still to this day hold on to the notion of "us vs them". Union work rules are archaic. Their mentality stuck in the 1930's. Union labor is absurdly expensive. Unions abhor merit and productivity. Unions are unwanted.

Forum List

Back