Why The Screwed Generation Is Turning To Paul Ryan

Ryan will be far more popular among young people than obama. They thought obama was like them, young, hip, energetic. We heard about his hoop shots and swagga. That was the myth, The reality was he liked to go on expensive vacations and play golf. Remember those surfing shots of him in Hawaii hanging ten? You don't see those photo ops anymore. obama was a media package. obama is the Fabian of our time. obama is the Rock Hudson of politics.

From Kristen Powers....a left leaning centrist who worked for Clinton.

Why The Screwed Generation Is Turning To Paul Ryan - The Daily Beast

GOP Congressman Paul Ryan—the tireless, wonky, 42-year-old workout freak—has made history by becoming the first member of our generation to join a presidential ticket. It should come as a surprise to no one that his calling card is reforming entitlements.

We hear incessantly about how members of today’s screwed generation face the prospect of less prosperous lives than those lived by their parents. But the maiden generation to stare down that gloomy prognosis was Generation X, the tiny slice of America born between about 1965 and 1980. (Ryan was born in 1970.) We were the first generation to be told we would never get Social Security or Medicare even though we would be forced to pay into these programs.

When many X-ers graduated from college, stocking shelves at the Gap was considered a career choice, as jobs were few and far between amidst a major economic downturn. I won’t bore you with the horror show of the low-paying and miserable jobs I had for the first three years after college.

Unfortunately, the future looks as bleak for today’s young people. No amount of coddling by their well-provided-for Boomer parents can save Generation Y and the Millennials from the dire economic conditions they face, including criminal levels of educational debt. Pensions have gone the way of the hHorse and buggy. You want to retire with health-care benefits, as both my professor parents did? Good luck. As the 1994 movie turned Gen-X mantra has it: Reality Bites.

I would highly suggest the entire article.

The left is always whining about people voting their interests and I have wondered for a long time when the young were going to wake up and tell the previous generation "we are not going to pay for your wanting to have your cake and eat it too".

Well, maybe it is about to happen.

When FDR first proposed Social Security, one if its advocates was confronted with a long term prognosis of major difficulties (several decades down the road). The response was "We'll be dead by then". Both predictions came true.

Time to right the ship.

Paul Ryan is the man. Better give granny a parachute.

I would agree with this if the Ryan proposal went into place right now for all participants as it should. Instead it does no such thing and allows everyone above 55 which includes most boomers and their parents to spend the program into oblivion and bankrupt it before X'ers get there anyway.

If he really cared about making it solvent it would apply to everyone now and the payments would be means tested. No such luck. It will be dead by the time we get there.

From Kristen Powers....a left leaning centrist who worked for Clinton.

Why The Screwed Generation Is Turning To Paul Ryan - The Daily Beast

GOP Congressman Paul Ryan—the tireless, wonky, 42-year-old workout freak—has made history by becoming the first member of our generation to join a presidential ticket. It should come as a surprise to no one that his calling card is reforming entitlements.

We hear incessantly about how members of today’s screwed generation face the prospect of less prosperous lives than those lived by their parents. But the maiden generation to stare down that gloomy prognosis was Generation X, the tiny slice of America born between about 1965 and 1980. (Ryan was born in 1970.) We were the first generation to be told we would never get Social Security or Medicare even though we would be forced to pay into these programs.

When many X-ers graduated from college, stocking shelves at the Gap was considered a career choice, as jobs were few and far between amidst a major economic downturn. I won’t bore you with the horror show of the low-paying and miserable jobs I had for the first three years after college.

Unfortunately, the future looks as bleak for today’s young people. No amount of coddling by their well-provided-for Boomer parents can save Generation Y and the Millennials from the dire economic conditions they face, including criminal levels of educational debt. Pensions have gone the way of the horse and buggy. You want to retire with health-care benefits, as both my professor parents did? Good luck. As the 1994 movie turned Gen-X mantra has it: Reality Bites.

I would highly suggest the entire article.

The left is always whining about people voting their interests and I have wondered for a long time when the young were going to wake up and tell the previous generation "we are not going to pay for your wanting to have your cake and eat it too".

Well, maybe it is about to happen.

When FDR first proposed Social Security, one if its advocates was confronted with a long term prognosis of major difficulties (several decades down the road). The response was "We'll be dead by then". Both predictions came true.

Time to right the ship.

Paul Ryan is the man. Better give granny a parachute.

They (the younger generation which won't get theirs) are increasingly waking up and large numbers that were before in Obama's camp won't be come the next election though they may not be outspoken about it to pollsters. That old warning that "it wont be there when you get to retirement" is true and plain as the nose on your face.

It's already not believable, and today's elderly (those of the boomer generation) are showing themselves incapable of considering those who will come after, their children and grandchldren. Those who do care inhabit the T-Party.

Paul Ryan will be to many of them, what Obama has proven not to be.

You bet !

One lie, listening. Still waiting. Pants on fire Romney for the dupes...

Obama has added 10 years to Medicare, going on infinity. Romney would destroy it.

You ignorant fucking hack, Obama STOLE $716 BILLION from Medicare!!

Obama has added 10 years to Medicare, going on infinity. Romney would destroy it.

Now I know you are full of s**t.

You've been given dozens of Obama's lies. Your head is so far you your ass, you can't see reality any more.

Keep voting for greedy lying Pubs and your fears will be realized...AARP named Medicare going bust as the #1 myth. Pubs LOVE scaring people, especially when a Dem is in the WH.

I know, let's cut taxes on the bloated rich, destroy Medicare, Medicaid, SS, and health reform, raise taxes and fees on the nonrich, let corporate cheats run wild, cut aid to states and localities, raise military spending to more than the rest of the world combined, and worry about the debt in 2035.Absolute idiocy, dupes.

You forgot to include the desire for dirty air and water. The DNC will take away one of your "hero" stars for that omission.

Why The Screwed Generation Is Turning To Paul Ryan

Cuz they are whiney crybaby bitch ass punks?

The "screwed generation" is soft. They are pussies....and gay.

True story.

You progressives do nothing but cry and say "no fair - he has more than I do."

Like somehow you're entitled to something....

If you cant earn it you're entitled to absolutely nothing.

If you live in an apartment or rent and receive a tax rebate in the mail every April, May or June - you're not even entitled to use the roads or the public school because YOU don't pay for that shit....

Now shut the fuck up you ignorant POS

Really? And your link to this?

In the meantime;

President Obama 3.9

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama

Up from 3.5 from last week, even Rasmussen giving the President the lead.

Sorry Old Rocks, I don't get all my information from the internet. I listen to ABC radio news on the hour and also (dare I speak the name) FNC.
We shall see, won't we?

Edit: Here ya go:

THE HILL
" - Mitt Romney's campaign has raised $10 million since announcing Rep. Paul Ryan as Romney's running mate.

The Republican's presidential campaign announced the cash surge on Friday as part of a memo that highlighted a boost in polls it said Romney had gained by picking Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican.

The memo from Matt Rhoades, Romney's campaign manager, said 68 percent of donations this week were from new donors, and that the average donation was $81. The average donation amount is something President Obama's campaign often points to in arguing it has more grassroots support from small donors than does Romney. . . - "

Last edited:
Really? And your link to this?

In the meantime;

President Obama 3.9

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama

Up from 3.5 from last week, even Rasmussen giving the President the lead.

So what ?

1. There are still many independents who are going to break for Romney in droves. Polls prior to conventions mean very in terms of absolutes.

2. The swing states are spring loaded and will be shifting to Romney as they get more and more used to the idea that Romney can take us in a good direction and that Obama can't.

Keep bleating it out. The electoral map with tossups has seen the gap closing ever since Romney was determined to be the GOP nominee. As I said....it means very little. But directionally and historically, it would appear Obama is toast.

And BTW: this is about the younger generation who won't be voting for Obama like they did before. The question is: will they vote. If they do, more of them (in terms of percentages) will be voting for Romney and Ryan.

Do you really think Joe Biden appeals to young voters. :lol:

Last edited:
Peggy Noonan in today's WSJ opinion page:

With all the PAC money floating around, we've entered the Golden Age of mudslinging. When Democrats run the spot where a young guy throws grandma in the wheelchair off the cliff—well, don't wait for that ad.

Republicans should do their own spot, now—one that's comic and sweet. Grandma in the wheelchair is speeding on a downward slope toward a cliff. She looks terrified. Suddenly a young guy who looks like Clark Kent—that is, like Paul Ryan—springs forward, puts his body between the wheelchair and the edge, and stops it. She looks up at him, smiles, touches his face with her hand. He smiles, turns the chair around and begins to push her back to safety. "Romney-Ryan. Trying to get things back on firm ground."
ED-AP632_noonan_G_20120816172702.jpg

You ignorant fucking hack, Obama STOLE $716 BILLION from Medicare!!

Hey StupidGuy. Obama didn't "steal" anything. He is working on stopping fraud in Medicare and applying the savings to close the donut hole that was unfunded by Bush and costing seniors thousands a year for pharms.

Why do you hate senior Americans?

OTOH hand if they're aren't the type to experiment they could stick with Barry and Harry and remain uncomforably numb.

You'd have to be pretty numb to stick with Barry (Moe) and Harry (Larry).

Forum List

Back