Why The NFL Is Losing Fans

I think a lot of it has to do with people being bored and that there is little in common with the Middle Class. Watching millionaires pay a game and then whine about it gets old. We are ready for a new sport to root for.
Nope.....take the politics out of the NFL and you'll have a good sport.
I don't see politics during the course of the game. Do you?

Exactly. Nobody is determining their watching habits based on 5 seconds of a 3 hour game. If they are then these losers should be shot for taking up space.

You're wrong:

I no longer watch NFL games and will only watch college games as a result of their politicization. I also no longer buy products that support the NFL, no Bud, no Geiko

You don't matter.

Obviously millions and millions of others share my views.

I think a lot of it has to do with people being bored and that there is little in common with the Middle Class. Watching millionaires pay a game and then whine about it gets old. We are ready for a new sport to root for.

Exactly. Nobody is determining their watching habits based on 5 seconds of a 3 hour game. If they are then these losers should be shot for taking up space.
If you don't like the people involved in the sport why would you waste time watching it.
Think about it.

If you're watching it on NBC, CBS, or ESPN....yes....you're watching a constant dose of politics.

Oddly enough, I think there is a correlation between dissing the anthem, poor game attendance and the popularity of Trump with football fans. Trump is "old school" where you honor your country. Football fans love the sport and their country, hence they will turn their back on the pro game and stay with college ball.

Once the owners finally realize this, may they find themselves in the red and thank the punks.

Just like I said a few minutes ago - you may want to believe it is political reasons, but it isn't.
Not to say the faux outrage millionaires has had no effect, but it pales to compare to the real reason why they are losing fans - Fantasy Football.

I think a massive mistake on the NFL's part was when they openly allowed some to kneel and disrespect the flag, the anthem, the police and military, but, when the Dallas Cowboys wanted to wear a small decal in honour of the police who died in Texas, protecting the free speech of the left-wing protesters by the way; Goodell wouldn't allow it. To me that was insult to injury, and it put salt in the wounds of those who were sick and tired of politics on the field, but enraged at the clear hypocrisy.

So, some can protest on the field against the actions of some bad apples in the police, but, God forbid the Cowboys bring awareness and show support for those who died at the hands of a radical left wing terrorist.

There are of course many reasons for their decline, but there cannot be any doubt that the disrespect from some of these players has damaged the league, potentially irreparably.

As for me, I am now rooting for the Cowboys. I like Jerry Jones being overt about how he will deal with those turning work into politics, and particularly his face to face demand in the locker room that none of his player will kneel during last years Sept 11th game in which soldiers were in the stadium and honoured.

Do your job. Play the game and get paid. Keep your politics our of the workplace.

Last edited:
Trump said that players that protest the National Anthem should be fired.

Now the very unpopular NFL commissioner is mouthing off at Trump about it.

This is why the NFL is going down the toilet.

NFL head: Trump's 'divisive comments' show a 'lack of respect'

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell fired back at President Trump on Saturday for encouraging league owners to remove players who take a knee during the national anthem, saying Trump’s “divisive comments” show “an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL.”

“The NFL and our players are at our best when we help create a sense of unity in our country and our culture,” Goodell said in a statement. “There is no better example than the amazing response from our clubs and players to the terrible natural disasters we've experienced over the last month.”

“Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities.”
The NFL chief's comments came the morning after Trump told a crowd at a rally for Alabama Senate candidate (R) that NFL players will stop kneeling if fans left games.

"When people like yourselves turn on television and you see those people taking the knee when they are playing our great national anthem – the only thing you could do better is if you see it, even if it's one player, leave the stadium," Trump said. "I guarantee things will stop."

Trump also said NFL owners should fire players if they refuse to stand during the national anthem.

"Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a b---- off the field right now,'" he continued, adding, "'He is fired.'"

The comments came during a broader critique of the league's actions, during which he also accused NFL referees of "ruining the game" by penalizing players who "hit too hard."

“Today, if you hit too hard … 15 yards, throw him out of the game,” Trump said. “They are ruining the game, right?”​

If we can all just unite in hating this country and disrespecting its institutions then everything will be just fine.

I think a massive mistake on the NFL's part was when they openly allowed some to kneel and disrespect the flag, the anthem, the police and military, but, when the Dallas Cowboys wanted to wear a small decal in honour of the police who died in Texas, protecting the free speech of the left-wing protesters by the way; Goddell wouldn't allow it. To me that was insult to injury, and it put salt in the wounds of those who were sick and tired of politics on the field, but enraged at the clear hypocrisy.

So, some can protest on the field against the actions of some bad apples in the police, but, God forbid the Cowboys bring awareness and show support for those who died at the hands of a radical left wing terrorist.

There are of course many reasons for their decline, but there cannot be any doubt that the disrespect from some of these players has damaged the league, potentially irreparably.

As for me, I am now rooting for the Cowboys. I like Jerry Jones being overt about how he will deal with those turning work into politics, and particularly his face to face in the locker room demand that none of his player will kneel during last years Sept 11th game in which soldiers were in the stadium and honoured.

Do your job. Play the game and get paid. Keep your politics our of the workplace.

I hate the Cowboys and still won't root for them, but good post. :)

People pay good money to go watch a game, and these players need to respect the fans of the game and go protest on their own damn time.
I am curious. Those fans....do they all stand? Or are they sitting and talking on their phones, going to the bathroom, up getting a beer and food?

That is irrelevant. The fans aren't paid to be there.

People pay good money to go watch a game, and these players need to respect the fans of the game and go protest on their own damn time.
I am curious. Those fans....do they all stand? Or are they sitting and talking on their phones, going to the bathroom, up getting a beer and food?

The overwhelming majority stand with hat over their heart.
I don't think I've EVER seen anyone sit during the anthem at a Chargers game at Qualcom. I don't think it would healthy.

Standard Disclaimer: I'll miss Qualcom, it was like one long acid trip with the out of phase sound system....

Cowboys_49ers_Football.JPEG-07ff0_c0-203-3600-2301_s885x516.jpg

I know it's hard to believe, but the NFL is losing fans by the truckload.

The left has been trying to destroy the NFL for the last several years and now they've finally found the right combination to do it.

Here is the formula that the left is using to bring down America's favorite past time:

Politics In Everything

Politics is ruining a once fun game. The NFL used to be a way to escape for 3 hours and just enjoy being in America. Now ESPN and the NFL itself has become so political that you want to change the channel and watch some mindless reality show just to get away from the constant preaching the media does. They have an entire month where players wear pink but now the left wants them to wear another color in November in support of Blacklivesmatter and Antifa celebrating, get this, PROTEST MONTH. This is going way too far. The commissioner is a political-correct asshole that punishes player for crimes they never were convicted of. During the last NFL Draft this jackass was booed off the stage because of his heavy handed approach to punishment. It's purely political.

Black Players Protesting

Nobody cares that you hate your country. Nothing speaks ignorance more than a bunch of spoiled millionaires who are protesting slavery and oppression. Just shut up and play asshole!!! It seems that the only people that refuse to stand for the national anthem are black players who make more money than you or I will ever make in our lives. They just don't see the overt racism they're showing and utter hypocrisy of it all. With the spectacle that BLM has made of themselves fewer and fewer people want to spend their time watching a bunch of overpaid blacks complain about the fact that they feel oppressed even though they are much more fortunate than the rest of us. You're trying the public's patience.

Injuries Are Piling Up

Liberals have been whining for years about how violent the game is and now they claim there is an invisible condition (that nobody can diagnose until you're dead) that is effecting every player who ever played the game. Even Aaron Hernandez claims the reason he was a thug was because of CTE. Sorry, but this idiot was a thug long before he became a football player. Is Aaron Hernandez' behavior explained by brain disease? | FOX Sports Nevermind the massive increase in injuries. It seems that the game has become much more violent these days, with constant examples of players who are out there trying to intentionally end the careers of other players. I think there would be less injuries if players didn't feel that in order to win they have to cripple other players.

Too Many Televised Games

Used to be all we had was games on Sunday and one game on Monday Night. Now we have Thursday night games, Sunday night games, and Monday night games. College football is on Saturday and except for Friday your whole weekend is shot watching football. The primary advantage that the NFL has over any other sport was you could count on seeing a game at 12pm Sunday and another at 4pm. No other sport had this schedule written in stone. Now if you miss a game you can always catch one of the late night games.

The NFL has given into political-correctness so they have nobody but themselves to blame for it. It has become a prime example of what happens when liberals take control of anything. They totally fuck it up.

I think one of the reasons is that they keep changing the rules to encourage the forward pass. And ironically they first started doing that because it would cause more big plays and make the game more exciting for the fans. However I think they've taken it too far.

Now they are focusing even more on speed. The players are wearing much lighter armor than they used to. The fields are faster. They have made head to head contact practically illegal, making arm tackles the norm.

The game is less violent. And saying that fans don't watch the games to see violence is like saying that nobody watches a NASCAR race to see very fast expensive cars crash and burn.

Last edited:

The overwhelming majority stand with hat over their heart.
I don't think I've EVER seen anyone sit during the anthem at a Chargers game at Qualcom. I don't think it would healthy.

Standard Disclaimer: I'll miss Qualcom, it was like one long acid trip with the out of phase sound system....
I used to watch Chargers games when it was called the Murph. Jack Murphy Stadium.
Best NFL stadium to watch a ball game in the country.
The weather was great and almost everyone could see the players and spot their numbers without having to use binoculars.

I loathed the day all across America in all sports when sporting arenas changed their names to corporate logos. Absolutely hate it.

We've passed on the Negro Felons League for over 30 yrs. However , support the First Amendment. Abuse and rapes of dogs and White Women is why we were disgusted.

They're losing fans because even middle class people can't afford to buy tickets to games. It's $100 a person for the cheap seats for an unimportant game.

You're wrong:

I no longer watch NFL games and will only watch college games as a result of their politicization. I also no longer buy products that support the NFL, no Bud, no Geiko
No cars (all car companies advertise on football games) no military (all four branches advertise during football games), no Navy Federal, no USAA......of course you wouldn't qualify for the last 6 things I mentioned.

I am still watching the NFL. The only ones not watching are

submissive white men
women
faggots

Forum List

Back