Why the Left Doesn't Care about $9.7 Trillion Debt

Uh...I suggest you review the components of that debt - starting with aspects started during the FDR era which are snowballing today.

The National debt at the end of the Carter presidency was 900 billion dollars. This had been building since the Johnson presidency.

The National Debt at the end of the Reagan/Bush years was 4 Trillion Dollars.

The debt at the end of the Clinton years was 5.6 Trillion dollars (1.2 Trillion of which was caused by interest on the pre-existing debt)

The debt at the end of W's reign was 11.6 Trillion dollars.

Which means that in the last 30 years the debt increased by .6 Trillion dollars under Democrats, and 10 Trillion dollars under Republicans.

In addition, as I mentioned, one must consider inflation-adjustment when comparing to current figures.

The 3 trillion dollar increase in the debt during Reagan/Bush would now be equal to 6 Trillion dollars.

As for what makes up the debt, the huge amount of military spending we do every year is probably the major culprit. If we spent like a NORMAL country on military expenditures, or even just at a level that slightly edged out our nearest competitor, we'd probably have no debt whatsoever right now.

Last edited:
The right created the 11+ trillion dollar debt to begin with.

Was Reagan trying to create a "perpetual welfare state" too, when he ran up all that debt?

Oh and 3 Trillion dollars in debt circa 1985 = 6 Trillion dollars in inflation-adjusted dollars.

The Inflation Calculator

Oh, and one more thing...

If my thread talking about the political leanings on the USMB board belongs in "Conspiracy Theories", then this thread DEFINITELY belongs there.

Bush did it so Obama can do it too. :lol:

That was a reference to Reagan.

Do you have a problem telling Reagan from Bush?

Are you going to try to use the "Blame Bush" talking-point to defend all Republican presidents?

The real question is why did the right "create" such a debt?

2.5 trillion tax cut
3 trillion in war
trillion stimulus package
Who knows how much wasted on Katrina cleanup that never happened?
Who know how much their drug package cost?

Then the left get's stuck with this mess. Worse, the Republicans, the very people who created this disaster, think they know how to clean it up? Are they insane?

The right didn't create the Trillion Stimulus Package.

Bush put in the Bailout. which wasn't even a Trillion..

You got it mixed up.. Obama was the one who put in the Stimulus.

did Bush ever veto a spending bill while repubs controlled congress?

I don't approve of Bush's polices when it came to spending.. I was one of the few who opposed the Bailouts.

I'm not defending him.. Both parties have done their Harm to the Economy. Even as a Big Reagan supporter i didn't like his spending spree.. But it was the Cold War.. so i give him a break there.. But everyone else, i Despise. Yes.. even Bush.

The right created the 11+ trillion dollar debt to begin with.

Was Reagan trying to create a "perpetual welfare state" too, when he ran up all that debt?

Oh and 3 Trillion dollars in debt circa 1985 = 6 Trillion dollars in inflation-adjusted dollars.

The Inflation Calculator

Oh, and one more thing...

If my thread talking about the political leanings on the USMB board belongs in "Conspiracy Theories", then this thread DEFINITELY belongs there.

Bush did it so Obama can do it too. :lol:

That was a reference to Reagan.

Do you have a problem telling Reagan from Bush?

Are you going to try to use the "Blame Bush" talking-point to defend all Republican presidents?

Seems you've misplace yer sense of humor. Meybe that's in the conspiracy forum too.

Reagan increased the national debt by 20%. Bush I increased it by 12%. Clinton reduced it 7%. Bush II increased it by 12%. Your question: "Why the left doesn't care about $9.7 trillion debt?" should probably be:

Why does the right run up the debt and then expect the left to solve the problems created by their running up the debt??

COMPLETE AND ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT

The debt NEVER went down under Clinton... it went up EACH and EVERY year under his 2 terms.... another motherfucking idiot myth believer

Take a look at the drop in taxpayers per SS recipient, the impact of Medicare - and the vast expanse of government via the Great Society Programs. These things snowball over time. It's why politicians like such programs. They get to crow about how great the benefits are while passing the bill to future administrations and generations.

The bill is now due. And Obama is just doubling down instead of dealing with it.

2.5 trillion tax cut
3 trillion in war

Then the left get's stuck with this mess. Worse, the Republicans, the very people who created this disaster, think they know how to clean it up? Are they insane?

This is such a bullshit thread......we cared about the debt when Bush added 6 trillion on to it and we care about it now.

The real question is, why are conservatives so dishonest and hypocritical? We never heard a peep, there were no threads about it from the right, during the whole Bush 8 years while he overspent more than any other admin in history.

SIX TRILLION DOLLARS ADDED TO OUR DEBT by Bush.

And Republicans are blaming overspending on Obama.

Such dishonesty, it's so sickening.

Reagan increased the national debt by 20%. Bush I increased it by 12%. Clinton reduced it 7%. Bush II increased it by 12%. Your question: "Why the left doesn't care about $9.7 trillion debt?" should probably be:

Why does the right run up the debt and then expect the left to solve the problems created by their running up the debt??

The debt NEVER went down under Clinton... it went up EACH and EVERY year under his 2 terms.... another motherfucking idiot myth believer

Very slightly the debt went up, under Clinton.

But it TRIPLED under Reagan and it DOUBLED under Bush.

Take a look at the drop in taxpayers per SS recipient, the impact of Medicare - and the vast expanse of government via the Great Society Programs. These things snowball over time. It's why politicians like such programs. They get to crow about how great the benefits are while passing the bill to future administrations and generations.

The bill is now due. And Obama is just doubling down instead of dealing with it.

False. Obama created a debt reduction commission. Congress was supposed to, but the Republicans blocked it.

Yes, the bill is due, from too many years of Republican administrations and Cheney's "debt doesn't matter" philosophy. But when the bill is due and the whole economy is about to crash, stimulus spending is required. Either that or we can all lose everything. I guess Republicans would have preferred that.

False. Obama created a debt reduction commission. Congress was supposed to, but the Republicans blocked it.

Yes, the bill is due, from too many years of Republican administrations and Cheney's "debt doesn't matter" philosophy. But when the bill is due and the whole economy is about to crash, stimulus spending is required. Either that or we can all lose everything. I guess Republicans would have preferred that.

How can the Reps block it when we don't even control the House or the Senate?

Really? Debt Reduction? All i see is the Numbers increasing.

Actually, the stimulus didn't even do shit to the Company's except giving them Pay Bonuses.

If you knew what Capitalism is all about we wouldn't even bother talking about a Bailout or a Stimulus.

Of course high debt levels don't bother Progressives. Big Debt fuels Big Government - it furthers their cause.

but did it bother you when our country's debt for it's entire history as a country...more than doubled under president bush, from $5.6 trillion when clinton's last budget was complete to $11.5 trillion in debt when president bush's last budget was finished?

I don't like the way we are scoring for our future debt, not one iota!

but outside of partisan rhetoric and garbage, there is nothing in zoom's article that explains anything at all...about nothin'. honestly!!!! just typical brainwashing hogwash....meant to fuel the 'divide' imo!

Clinton and the various congresses at that time had increases under each and every year... including when he claimed the mythical surplus... and did it not by cutting entitlements, but gutting our military and even having the government stop working because of lack of payment

I do not condone running a deficit... unless in national defense.. and I did not like the spending habits of W and the REP controlled congress, even though I still voted for him over the likes of Gore and the God awful Kerry.... but do not delude yourself into this bullshit belief that it is only the Republicans that created debt... and you best also look within our government of where the budget and spending decision come from

Come out of your extremist winger shell

Actually, the stimulus didn't even do shit to the Company's except giving them Pay Bonuses.

If you knew what Capitalism is all about we wouldn't even bother talking about a Bailout or a Stimulus.

You've never heard of filibuster?

The stimulus is why the recession didn't spiral down into a depression.

Clinton and the various congresses at that time had increases under each and every year... including when he claimed the mythical surplus... and did it not by cutting entitlements, but gutting our military and even having the government stop working because of lack of payment

I do not condone running a deficit... unless in national defense.. and I did not like the spending habits of W and the REP controlled congress, even though I still voted for him over the likes of Gore and the God awful Kerry.... but do not delude yourself into this bullshit belief that it is only the Republicans that created debt... and you best also look within our government of where the budget and spending decision come from

Come out of your right wing head in the sand.....Reagan tripled the debt and Papa Bush doubled it. Clinton added about 1/4 more to it and then Bush doubled it to 11 trillion.

Clinton left a surplus in 1999. Bush took over and instead of using it to reduce the debt, he spent it in the first 6 months.

Numbers don't lie.

But Republicans sure as hell do!

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 1950 - 1999

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/histdebt/histdebt_histo5.htm

Last edited:

You've never heard of filibuster?

The stimulus is why the recession didn't spiral down into a depression.

You can't prove that.. At all..

The way things are going now it seems it would be better off if we had never actually put in the Bailout or Stimulus.. Read what it's all about.. Capitalism.

2.5 trillion tax cut
3 trillion in war

This is such a bullshit thread......we cared about the debt when Bush added 6 trillion on to it and we care about it now.

The real question is, why are conservatives so dishonest and hypocritical? We never heard a peep, there were no threads about it from the right, during the whole Bush 8 years while he overspent more than any other admin in history.

SIX TRILLION DOLLARS ADDED TO OUR DEBT by Bush.

And Republicans are blaming overspending on Obama.

Such dishonesty, it's so sickening.

What a maroon.

Here are some facts:

Social Security outlays were 14.4B in 1962; Obama's 2009 budget was $944B.

Health and Human Services outlays were $3.5B in 1962; Obama's 2009 budget was $773B.

The problem we have is the accumulation of entitlements over time. Blaming them on any particular President is missing the point (although Obama is taking binge spending to a new level).

Sources:

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy05/hist.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_United_States_federal_budget

Of course high debt levels don't bother Progressives. Big Debt fuels Big Government - it furthers their cause.

but did it bother you when our country's debt for it's entire history as a country...more than doubled under president bush, from $5.6 trillion when clinton's last budget was complete to $11.5 trillion in debt when president bush's last budget was finished?

I don't like the way we are scoring for our future debt, not one iota!

but outside of partisan rhetoric and garbage, there is nothing in zoom's article that explains anything at all...about nothin'. honestly!!!! just typical brainwashing hogwash....meant to fuel the 'divide' imo!

Yes it did. I didn't like the debt levels during the Bush era - but understand the role of mandatory entitlements accumulating over time. We have a structural problem that is not going to get better unless we reform such programs.

I would agree with this, but say that most of the increase was due to interest on pre-existing debt.

Come out of your right wing head in the sand.....Reagan tripled the debt and Papa Bush doubled it. Clinton added about 1/4 more to it and then Bush doubled it to 11 trillion.

Clinton left a surplus in 1999. Bush took over and instead of using it to reduce the debt, he spent it in the first 6 months.

Numbers don't lie.

But Republicans sure as hell do!

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 1950 - 1999

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 2000 - 2009

this has been debunked time and time and time again... Clinton ran no surplus.. PERIOD.. Clinton knew how to ATTEMPT to hide various spending through intergovernmental spending

You sure as hell have shown that extremist leftists do lie and attempt to pull the wool over the eyes of others

Forum List

Back