'Why Study Philosophy'

What's even more certain is that none of them remember yours. Idiots like you who are basically just making a donation to the college are a generic dime a dozen.

Well i currently make more than any of them .

So do drug kingpins, inside traders, and corrupt politicians. Congratulations, you ignorant scumbag. You won't understand this, but you also clearly missed something else important that a liberal arts education might have given you.

Yeah like how to suck up to a professor.

As I said there's nothing special about teachers like all those profs in the school of management who have never run a business so get over yourself.

At this point it seems that your inability to understand all this stems from some strange inferiority complex. You should see someone about that.

At this point it seems that your inability to understand all this stems from some strange inferiority complex. You should see someone about that.

No it seems to me that because you're a Teaching Assistant that you think you have magical powers and you can tell from test scores alone who has the "real" education and who doesn't.

Quite frankly I don't really hold reverence for any occupation or people that need to justify their own professions with put downs.

There are many roads to a great city and yours is not the only one and since you seem to think that then your education isn't very real.

I suspect that many of the board's detractors of liberal arts education are not themselves very educated and are basically guessing what the term really means.

For those of you who imagine that Libral Arts education is entirely something on can get by reading?

Try reading Husseral without having a professor in philosophy to help you get it.

There are endless sources you can find that will do that. Why settle for one professor's opinion when you can get multiple opinions for free?

There is nothing in an undergraduate liberal arts curriculum that cannot be learned outside of a university.

Skull I do not doubt that some people are autodidacts with the intellectual horsepower to do without the benefit of superior scholars to guide them in their studies.

Neither do I doubt that most people (even autodidacts) greatly benefit from having superior scholars there to help them find their way in subjects where (unguided) most people lose their way.

This question, as with most social science questions, does not have YES or NO answer, obviously.

No it seems to me that because you're a Teaching Assistant.

But I'm not, and I never said that I was. You just made a stupid assumption and then repeated it over and over like some Rain Man mental patient. A classic sign of a mindless idiot unable to accept he's lost the argument.

Stop feeling so threatened. No one forced you to waste all that time and money.

But I'm not, and I never said that I was. You just made a stupid assumption and then repeated it over and over like some Rain Man mental patient. A classic sign of a mindless idiot unable to accept he's lost the argument.

yeah you threaten me. not

And I still suspect you are a teacher because you are the one who gets defensive when I say they are not necessary

That's not what I said. Just how damn stupid are you?

I suspect that many of the board's detractors of liberal arts education are not themselves very educated and are basically guessing what the term really means.

For those of you who imagine that Libral Arts education is entirely something on can get by reading?

Try reading Husseral without having a professor in philosophy to help you get it.

There are endless sources you can find that will do that. Why settle for one professor's opinion when you can get multiple opinions for free?

There is nothing in an undergraduate liberal arts curriculum that cannot be learned outside of a university.

Skull I do not doubt that some people are autodidacts with the intellectual horsepower to do without the benefit of superior scholars to guide them in their studies.

Neither do I doubt that most people (even autodidacts) greatly benefit from having superior scholars there to help them find their way in subjects where (unguided) most people lose their way.

This question, as with most social science questions, does not have YES or NO answer, obviously.

Well scholars can be found outside of universities.

Course curricula are readily available and really is that not a guide? You can even get syllabi for individual classes to use as a guide.

To say a university or a professor is an absolute necessity in order to get a "real " education is patently false.

Not stupid enough to think that there's only one way to learn something.

Course curricula are readily available and really is that not a guide? You can even get syllabi for individual classes to use as a guide.

To say a university or a professor is an absolute necessity in order to get a "real " education is patently false.

Yeah, so?

Who said that?

Not me, obviously.

The best reason to study Philosophy is that it is a good place to meet chicks

I studied Engineering.......God, do I know

Yeah, so?

Who said that?

Not me, obviously.

Ukunthair has been bleating that over and over I didn't attribute it to you so chill.

Not stupid enough to think that there's only one way to learn something.

You've proven that you are stupid enough to waste enormous time and money to learn NOTHING.

I learned plenty especially that professors ain't the be all end all of learning.

Seems to me your the one who can't figure things out on your own even with your "real" education

I learned plenty

You have demonstrated here that you did not.
I learned to learn on my own something you are incapable of.

You did not LEARN anything. You've made that perfectly clear. What you did was waste many years of your life and make a generous donation to fine institutions of higher learning. The students who actually went there to learn no doubt benefited from your generosity if not your ignorance.

I'm just gunna step in here and teach Skull Pilot what he's missing. It's rather embarrassing:

One, you can't make someone stop talking or prevent someone from talking in the first place. It doesn't matter if you're right and someone else is wrong. Someone else will continue uttering gibberish just to get on your nerves.

Two, if someone makes brutal assertions about you, it's not your obligation to disprove someone. Have some self-respect.

Three, if you make complex statements with multiple necessities, and someone cherry-picks a possibility, you've already won the argument due to unaddressed points.

Four, everyone is not goodwilling. Let it go. Some people are deliberately provocative just to see how far they can egg you on. They enjoy seeing your head spin.

You won. Declare victory and move on.

I often read that students should study some field of knowledge that leads to productive work. But consider that my eventual working world did not even exist when I started college. My degree was eventually in Liberal Arts as I was never sure what I wanted to be when I grew up. When you examine the degrees of many of the national leaders in technology or business, their degree is often not related to their work. How is that, some even dropped out of school. So then maybe we need to ask what makes a person a good citizen and a productive member of society. Could it be a liberal education steeped in philosophy?

"Is a liberal arts education for everyone? Probably not. Some people would rather do just about anything than major in philosophy, and that is fine. But a liberal arts education forms students to be a thoughtful and concerned citizens, and that is the subtext here. Educated, concerned citizens aren’t going to sit back and let the economic elite run the show. McCrory can critique the educated elite all that he wants, but when you pal around with the likes of Art Pope you really have no business accusing anyone else of elitism.

McCrory himself studied political science and education. Bennett, who was interviewing him, has a PhD in – you guessed it – philosophy. The underlying assumption appears to be that if you’re part of the upper class, you can enjoy the luxury of a liberal arts education. If you’re lower or middle class, the public institutions that are supposed to be part of the mythical “American dream,” that level playing field, should only offer courses in skilled trades. Wealthy young people will get a liberal arts education. Poor and middle class young people will choose a trade."

Femmonite: Notes from an Employed Philosopher

I once asked every liberal in this forum the following.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...ciple-do-liberals-hang-their-ideology-on.html

No one answered. It is highly unlikely many, if not most, have never read philosophy. That was the day liberals proved to me that they knew nothing about philosophy.

Last edited:
You really think this is the place for your partisan political rant? You don't have the rest of the entire fucking site for that?

Forum List

Back