'Why Study Philosophy'

This piece answers several of the questions noted above.

'Why Study Philosophy'

"In addition to requiring you to master broadly applicable skills such as research and writing, a liberal arts course of study that spans multiple disciplines also requires students to make connections between seemingly disparate subjects. Art and computing, for example, equals Apple Computer. And on a smaller scale, while my lack of business knowledge came at a cost when I was running a company, most of the ideas that made us successful derived from multi-disciplinary approaches that I and the liberal arts grads I tended to hire brought to product design and problem solving.

Now liberal arts programs normally balance broad exposure to different subjects with the requirement to concentrate in one area. And the reason why we have different majors is that (1) they appeal to different types of people and (2) they each bring something unique to the study of what it means to be human." Why Philosophy? - Philosophy is Dead Hawking - Degree of Freedom

That was about Liberal Arts education in general. It didn't really address the OP.

There will be no human advancement possible without us engaging in what we call philosophy. A philosopher is an escaped prisoner who can see and hear things we the prisoners cannot. It is the philosopher in Ramanujan who made him see infinity that we the prisoners cannot.

Plato explains this beautifully in his book Republic using an allegory which has come to be known as The Allegory of the Cave.

And now look again, and see what will naturally follow if the prisoners are released and disabused of their error. At first, when any one of them is liberated and compelled suddenly to stand up and turn his neck around and walk and look towards the fire light, he will suffer sharp pains; the glare will distress him, and he will be unable to see the realities of which in his former state he had seen in the shadows; and then conceive someone saying to him that what he saw before was an illusion, but that now, when he is approaching nearer to being and his eye is turned towards more real existence, he has a clearer vision -- -What will be his reply? As you may further imagine that his instructor is pointing to the objects as they pass and requiring him to name them, will he not be perplexed? Will he not fancy that the shadows which he formerly saw are truer than the objects which are now shown to him?

Philosophy student wins 'The Nation's' essay contest.

"Not only have we as a society lost many of the principles of popular participation in decision-making that are fundamental to democracy; many of our citizens are completely unaware even of what has been lost. Over the past five years as I worked to finish my degree I would get up every day at 2 am to join many of the working poor in my area to load up big brown UPS trucks. For a large portion of my co-workers, civil society and the social bonds that keep society functioning have completely disappeared—as have the hopes, dreams and aspirations of better days. Far worse, their own capacities to recognize this state of affairs and do anything about it are in disrepair. When a person lacks knowledge of the basic functioning of the political process, when one lacks the economic stability required to engage and take part in building a vibrant political movement, then not only are political questions passed over, but questions of political solutions are totally eradicated from one’s vocabulary."

Thirty Years Late to a Class War | The Nation

There is no need at all to go to college to study liberal arts.

You can do it on your own for free. The funny thing is that the public is convinced that they have to spend tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to read a book.
You're ignoring the value of guidance and exposure to like minds and the developed intellects of one's professors and senior students.

A Liberal Arts education usually will not enable one to acquire wealth. But it can lead to life of creative satisfaction and, hopefully, happiness and contentment.

Einstein's theory of relativity introduces the concept of 4th dimension. You need to have a great deal of philosopher in you capable of thinking out of box to even remotely understand this concept.

I passed on this thread a few days ago, and after reading it decided to go back to the OP as the basis for comment!

I often read that students should study some field of knowledge that leads to productive work. But consider that my eventual working world did not even exist when I started college. My degree was eventually in Liberal Arts as I was never sure what I wanted to be when I grew up. When you examine the degrees of many of the national leaders in technology or business, their degree is often not related to their work. How is that, some even dropped out of school. So then maybe we need to ask what makes a person a good citizen and a productive member of society. Could it be a liberal education steeped in philosophy?

For a variety of reasons, perhaps a majority of professional change careers over the course of a lifetime. I have had five or six often overlapping (economics professor & practicing economist, historian and writer, professional CPE speaker and sponsor, tax litigator, small businessman, financial services advisor, plus avocations and a few minor gigs. You are right to note that the best preparation for such a working life is a broad education.

"Is a liberal arts education for everyone? Probably not. Some people would rather do just about anything than major in philosophy, and that is fine. But a liberal arts education forms students to be a thoughtful and concerned citizens, and that is the subtext here. Educated, concerned citizens aren’t going to sit back and let the economic elite run the show.

The issue of elites is problematical. We can't get around the fact that they exist. But there is a vast difference between a class or elite based on inherited privilege, one based on financial success, one based on notable accomplishments which are socially recognized, and another based on personal characteristics, respect, and leadership. Some of the education given each kind of elite has potential to make them useless or counterproductive to society (I feel that training the best and brightest in creating instruments of worldwide economic destruction and inculcating in the belief that this is a service to mankind which justifies wealth acquisition seen in no other part of society as an entitlement is an example of this). Conversely, socially responsible members of any elite who give of time and resources to encourage all of us to do those specific things which make us a better society (the Dalai Lama comes to mind) advance our society and civilization.

But when we educate any elite we expect to exercise a leadership role, there is a kitbag of experiences and skills that enable them to cope with the challenges before them; critical thinking skills, communication skills, working in groups, emotional maturity, exposure to people of varied backgrounds and abilities, and a well functioning ethical compass.

The underlying assumption appears to be that if you’re part of the upper class, you can enjoy the luxury of a liberal arts education. If you’re lower or middle class, the public institutions that are supposed to be part of the mythical “American dream,” that level playing field, should only offer courses in skilled trades. Wealthy young people will get a liberal arts education. Poor and middle class young people will choose a trade."

While this is too often the case, it is the hallmark of a dying culture. As social and economic mobility decline, so does the overall vitality of the society. Everyone with the ability and inclination to receive a "liberal arts education" and become a lifetime learner should be allowed and encouraged to do so, without a crushing financial burden. I see no evidence that we have a surplus of such people or will in the future ever have one. We need all the good people we can produce.

For the interested thinker.

videos: Wireless Philosophy | Recently Uploaded Videos | Wi Phi

Philosophy talk: Welcome to Philosophy Talk | Philosophy Talk

excellent blog: Leiter Reports: A Philosophy Blog

rationality: The poverty of rationality ? Crooked Timber

good evil: Good and Evil (1956). By Peter T. Geach in ANALYSIS Vol. 17 32?42. // Fair Use Repository

freewill books: Paul Russell on Free Will and Responsibility | Five Books | Five Books

Philosopher "This blog holds a collection of philosophical enquiries and arguments which are updated monthly. Whilst some articles are written with professional philosopher's in mind, all work here is aimed foremost at inspiring people to take up an interest in philosophy by way of challenging, against the grain, discussion on a range of philosophical topics."

"To achieve success in philosophy would be, to use a contemporary turn of phrase, to 'know one's way around' ... not in that unreflective way in which the centipede of the story knew its way around before it faced the question, 'how do I walk?', but in that reflective way which means that no intellectual holds are barred." Wilfrid Sellars

Heh... yeah, I'm sure his head full of highfalutin ideas will cause him no end of trouble. ;)

Anyway, he handles himself pretty well amongst the plebs. I'm sure he'll be fine.

I am glad to hear that. He could have learned those skills by reading Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Actually, he learned those skills, in part, working construction to finance his education.

Nevertheless, he is getting an expensive education that will almost certainly not help him on the job market. It might harm those with less social understanding and social skills.

You really don't know what you're talking about. That's not a slam, I just haven't given you all the details. He's the most practical person I know (yes, much more so than his father), and he has taken all this into account. He's worked his way into a highly ranked PhD program with an excellent placement record. And he's doing quite well so far. I appreciate your concern, and while it might be good advice for someone wondering what to do, it doesn't apply here.

You must be very proud of him for all he has accomplished, DBlack. He sounds like a remarkable young man! Congratulations!

I am glad to hear that. He could have learned those skills by reading Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Actually, he learned those skills, in part, working construction to finance his education.

Nevertheless, he is getting an expensive education that will almost certainly not help him on the job market. It might harm those with less social understanding and social skills.

You really don't know what you're talking about. That's not a slam, I just haven't given you all the details. He's the most practical person I know (yes, much more so than his father), and he has taken all this into account. He's worked his way into a highly ranked PhD program with an excellent placement record. And he's doing quite well so far. I appreciate your concern, and while it might be good advice for someone wondering what to do, it doesn't apply here.

You must be very proud of him for all he has accomplished, DBlack. He sounds like a remarkable young man! Congratulations!

Yeah... definitely. Thanks!

If your only reason for studying is to get a good paying job then lots of academic fields will seem silly. But when you figure philosophy teaches you how to reason and analyze, the applications are obvious. I'm biased towards psychology though myself since every job involving other people benefits from psychology, but philosophy's good too.

Higher learning shouldn't be just about getting a job and making money. Pretty sure everyone you'd read and learn about in Philosophy didn't go on to make a lot of money. :) Yet their contributions ensured them a measure of immortality. Whereas how many sub-management drones can you name from 100 years ago? Drones might make more money and live comfortably, but when they die no one will notice beyond their immediate families.

as a BA wielding philosopher, i went in it a lot richer than i am now (once i was undebted, now highly indebt). however, my mind and the rest of my life was enriched beyond measure and so i consider myself end the end better off poor and with philosophy (and taoism) then with money and whatever else it buys (exclusion).

as [sic] a BA wielding philosopher, i [sic] went in it a lot richer than i [sic] am now (once i was undebted [sic], now highly indebt [sic]). however [sic], my mind and the rest of my life was enriched beyond measure and so i [sic] consider myself end the end [sic] [sic] better off poor and with philosophy (and taoism) then with money and whatever else it buys (exclusion).

You must have taken a lot more care with your writing when you were in school if you managed to graduate.

I didn't know I was under examination. I thought the internet (or rather keyboard) was largely a loose and lax medium to express ideas without overly straining the hand by necessitating proper grammar. I guess you hold me to a standard that I'd argue has little application on internet message boards. I don't intend to strip away basic sentence structure but god forbid an academic blends with his fellow man by ignoring otherwise universally understood meanings like i=I and so on.

Either way, I'm glad we aren't babbling like in many other forums. Or perhaps I should elucidate, our babbling is erudite and lacks regular ad hominem attacks and is therefore worthy...or something like that.

Last edited:
...god forbid an academic blends with his fellow man by ignoring otherwise universally understood meanings like i=I and so on.

Having an undergraduate degree makes you "an academic" distinguished from "his fellow man"?

........................... :confused:

:lol:

'Why Study Philosophy' My disciplines of English, history, and philosophy at university helped me as a military leader, as an individual involved with community and school organizations, and in the family business. Graduate degrees and courses in management and IT certainly were well ground in my earlier education and employment. Whether in military or business, the greater the shared success and cooperation, the greater the mission accomplishment.

...god forbid an academic blends with his fellow man by ignoring otherwise universally understood meanings like i=I and so on.

Having an undergraduate degree makes you "an academic" distinguished from "his fellow man"?

lo and behold I can see you are a true academic. one that cannot move beyond the superficiality of knowing words and not hearts, the egocentric thought that your hierarchy of ranking people happens to be the right one. it's clear you've never lived homelessly or understand the value of challenging your views. i know you don't need to since your understanding of the world is and has been the correct one for quite some time.

sadly, i have no interest in comparing my degree with your OBVIOUSLY better/more knowledgeable/higher degrees of learning. for degrees do not make the man but his life lived: to realize real respect comes from knowing thyself. I know myself. peroid. i aint got no reason to think your semantic games have much to tell me how to come to know myself.

i know my posts don't and doesnter fit your rigorously demandly for academically workly so tell me again, why are you on a message board? Have you not read the normal lanague of American dialogue on here. i sea, u just wanted to pretend you had something important to say when it had no value. well how noble of you, sire, to teach me. i have never seen such grace in essential work done by an self-respecting academic like yourself in correcting my typing wiles.

Last edited:
degrees do not make the man but his life lived: .

Oh yeah, of course. That's why in your very first post on this thread you made a point of declaring what degree you held. Yeah, very credible. I believe you this much:

Attachments

• $large_its_a_wonderful_life_bw_blu-ray2bw.jpg
    $large_its_a_wonderful_life_bw_blu-ray2bw.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 63

lo and behold I can see you are a true academic. one that cannot move beyond the superficiality of knowing words and not hearts, the egocentric thought that your hierarchy of ranking people happens to be the right one. it's clear you've never lived homelessly or understand the value of challenging your views. i know you don't need to since your understanding of the world is and has been the correct one for quite some time.

sadly, i have no interest in comparing my degree with your OBVIOUSLY better/more knowledgeable/higher degrees of learning. for degrees do not make the man but his life lived: to realize real respect comes from knowing thyself. I know myself. peroid. i aint got no reason to think your semantic games have much to tell me how to come to know myself.

i know my posts don't and doesnter fit your rigorously demandly for academically workly so tell me again, why are you on a message board? Have you not read the normal lanague of American dialogue on here. i sea, u just wanted to pretend you had something important to say when it had no value. well how noble of you, sire, to teach me. i have never seen such grace in essential work done by an self-respecting academic like yourself in correcting my typing wiles.

You know, for a self-described "academic" you sure do come across as a lazy dimwit.

Forum List

Back