why pretend?

Unless someone actually feels improvement in his/her personal life, they're not going to believe it.
Oh, I agree. I was just curious if the OP had anything other than purely subjective opinion.

And then there are those who are so partisan they don't WANT the economy to improve, because that would be an admission that the OA has in fact been on the right track.
I don't quite agree. I think it's more that their view is so filtered that they are only capable of seeing the bad and not the good. And there are some Obama supporters who see things as rosier than they are.

We are in recovery, it's just not a very good recovery.

why is everyone pretending the u.s. economy is getting stronger? the Government (Fed) have been printing up money like there's no tomorrow trying to keep the system from imploding and it is barely working. there is no recovery we are in a depression. :cuckoo:

Were not in a depression ....... yet. And economics is a social science. Everything depends on mood.

We are not going back to where we were for the next decade or so folks.
Too many jobs lost to China and other offshore places.
Yeah we are creating some lower paying jobs than we lost but that is not the answer to get us back to where we were.

True, so our government has been printing money out of thin air to cover it's loses from lost jobs. We're between a rock and hard place, but what we need to do to "begin" a turn around I think is PAINFULLY obvious... CUT SPENDING. You or I can't/won't/don't spend more when we're broke, and our government shouldn't either but they have. We'd be fucked if we did, and now our nations economy is fucked too. There will be no pretty or easy way to get us back on track. Hard times are ahead, period, no getting around it. The kenyan did nothing but heap more debt on us instead of doing what was needed. He's toast. The next President, who will be republican, will have a massive mess to clean up, thanks in great part to the osama, ur... obama.

but somehow to you Obama inheriting nearly 10 trillion in debt and a great recession....
Yeah thanks to Osama.
We must end partisanship to solve the problems facing us. The ones using our partisanship against us are only making things worse.

I agree, and the ones using partisanship are intentionally making things worse. The R's fully embrace an ends/means ideology and seem not to care who gets hurt so long as they regain power. Even before President Obama took the oath of office, Rush Limbaugh ans other agents of evil were hoping he failed. Whether because he is a person of color, a Democrat or simply not one of the old boy's network, hoping our president fails is at best unpatriotic and demonstrates a total disregard for the aggregate of our nation's people.
Avarice, bigotry and callous disregard for others are the funadamental mores of the New Right, and the New Right's members are card-carrying members of the GOP. Fortunately, these deadly sins are ephemeral and will be rejected by the great middle of American voters come the election of 2012. Demagoguery can fool some of the people all of the time, but never all of the people all of the time.

why is everyone pretending the u.s. economy is getting stronger? the Government (Fed) have been printing up money like there's no tomorrow trying to keep the system from imploding and it is barely working. there is no recovery we are in a depression. :cuckoo:

What metrics are you using to say that there is no recovery and we are in depression? Most of the figures I'm looking at (real GDP, Employment, Unemployment, Industrial Capacity and Production) are all showing signs of improvement. Nothing to cheer about, but improvement.

well.. i LOOK Around me and SEE Almost Zero Difference from two years ago where i live. they have Thrown like TWO TRILLION Dollars into the system and still.. NOTHING Except Inflation of Course.. Gotta Love $4 a gallon Gas Huh? :(

What metrics are you using to say that there is no recovery and we are in depression? Most of the figures I'm looking at (real GDP, Employment, Unemployment, Industrial Capacity and Production) are all showing signs of improvement. Nothing to cheer about, but improvement.

well.. i LOOK Around me and SEE Almost Zero Difference from two years ago where i live. they have Thrown like TWO TRILLION Dollars into the system and still.. NOTHING Except Inflation of Course.. Gotta Love $4 a gallon Gas Huh? :(

Inflation isn't a factor (yet) and $4 gas isn't a product of anything the Federal Government can control. Of course they could cut the Federal gas taxes, but only an idiot would cut taxes when it would create a larger deficit and greater debt.

Denial is a hallmark of co-dependency. The vast majrity of americans are co-dependents.

Denial is a hallmark of co-dependency. The vast majrity of americans are co-dependents.

i agree.. also, i forgot to mention our home has lost more than 20% of it's value in the past two years! AND we have Higher gas and food prices!!!

i agree.. also, i forgot to mention our home has lost more than 20% of it's value in the past two years! AND we have Higher gas and food prices!!!

As long as you continue to think the country's entire economic outlook is all about you, you'll never understand and will continue to be negative.

but somehow to you Obama inheriting nearly 10 trillion in debt and a great recession....
Yeah thanks to Osama.
We must end partisanship to solve the problems facing us. The ones using our partisanship against us are only making things worse.
Obama's priorities of healthcare over jobs while the economy was still imploding.

His hamhanded management of congress when it came to getting healthcare passed.

Give it up Obama made himself a partisan target the hard way through his own hard work of using his office to neglect the country to pursue partisan agenda and advantage. Worse yet he has done way too little to correct the impression that he considers job one to lead the Democrats and job two to lead the country. Until he walks the walk of being president, which so far he has done only in regards to UBL, talking the talk will not work. That he wants to lead the country according to his partisan agenda: as with CFC, first time homebuyers TC and so on; is expected and accepted. Elections have consequences but he continuously puts out signs that he is the president of the Democrats not the US.

As long as you continue to think the country's entire economic outlook is all about you, you'll never understand and will continue to be negative.

uh.. believe it or not.. EVERYBODY in my Area has seen their property Value Drop like a Godamn Rock! (even the high rent district) :eusa_hand:

uh.. believe it or not.. EVERYBODY in my Area has seen their property Value Drop like a Godamn Rock! (even the high rent district) :eusa_hand:

I do believe it, and believe it when I say my heart goes out to the people who have felt this downturn the most. But your neighborhood alone isn't a measurement of how much the economy is, yes slowly...improving.

Yeah thanks to Osama.
Obama's priorities of healthcare over jobs while the economy was still imploding.

His hamhanded management of congress when it came to getting healthcare passed.

Give it up Obama made himself a partisan target the hard way through his own hard work of using his office to neglect the country to pursue partisan agenda and advantage. Worse yet he has done way too little to correct the impression that he considers job one to lead the Democrats and job two to lead the country. Until he walks the walk of being president, which so far he has done only in regards to UBL, talking the talk will not work. That he wants to lead the country according to his partisan agenda: as with CFC, first time homebuyers TC and so on; is expected and accepted. Elections have consequences but he continuously puts out signs that he is the president of the Democrats not the US.

Right or wrong, and some of it is right and some of it is wrong, healthcare was pushed because:

1. An economic reality is that health care costs are skyrocketing to the point that they ARE having an effect on maintaining a robust economy. When people have to make a choice between paying the mortgage or rent and paying for high medical costs and/or high health insurance premiums, something's wrong.

2. It was Obama's priority promise to those who elected him. If he had suddenly done an about-face, he would have immediately lost all credibility because as he said over and over during the campaign, no president who ever tried to get a handle on rising health care costs has been unsuccessful for 60 years and he wasn't going to be added to the list.

If he didn't try to do some kind of health care reform in the first year in office, he would have lost what they call "political capital" and not have been able to see any of his agenda issues move forward. As it turned out, the economy tanked so fast, he needn't have worried about that because he's blamed for the entire economic mess anyway.

MM< Obama didn't change much, just empowered the insurance nazi's to kick our doors in .....

Had O focused entirely on the economy and not pushed healthcare, which is so convoluted in bureaucratic nonsense busy speech and more costly, he may have had a decent shot at reelection. But since he didn't and is presiding over the worst economy, highest fuel prices, commodoties, high unemployment, in decades, he will pay dearly for it next year.

Had O focused entirely on the economy and not pushed healthcare, which is so convoluted in bureaucratic nonsense busy speech and more costly, he may have had a decent shot at reelection. But since he didn't and is presiding over the worst economy, highest fuel prices, commodoties, high unemployment, in decades, he will pay dearly for it next year.

And this is different from Bush in what way?

We will pay for this type of behaviour exhibited over the past few decades for decades to come.

MM< Obama didn't change much, just empowered the insurance nazi's to kick our doors in .....

Probably true. That was a bow to the "free-marketeers" so we'll see how health insurance and the capitalists handle it.

Since when is property value the sole measure for an economy? Jobs are up from their low and continuing up. Unemployment is down from its high and conitnuing down. Industrial Production is up. Industrial Capacity used is up. GDP is up.

Housing starts etc are bad. But most indicators are showing growth and improvement for the country as a whole. Obviously some areas are doing better or worse than the National numbers.

I'm hoping property prices fall another 20%, though I highly doubt it. I'm looking at a beachfront lot on the ocean that has fallen 80% and I want it to fall 85%-90% so I can make a ridiculous offer and steal it!

Forum List

Back