CDZ Why Not Play Cooperative Games?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by JimBowie1958, Nov 30, 2017.

?

Would you prefer to play a group game that is competitive or cooperative?

1. Competitive

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Cooperative

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I dont game

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,213
    Almost every game sold today is a game of competition, where the winner has to beat his fellow players.

I am not intending to brag when I say I excel at such games and am usually among the top players if not THE top player.

But my family tired of losing to me in everything we played, so we invented (at least from our perspective) cooperative games. We changed the rules slightly to reward cooperation with each other and we played against the game itself for a group win or loss. Monopoly was the first project to be mutated into a coop game and it worked by setting as the win condition that we play till we had $100k in total cash and everyone has to still be in business. Still had to play by all the other rules though, as written (but we still had the center public parking mod). IT was more fun and challenging than playing competitively since you MUST charge rent when people land on your property. To make it more challenging we put in a 50 turn limit.

We have done this with other games as well, but a strange thought occurred to me; why are all games competitive?

Over the past few years I have seen more and more games that are coop games, everything from zombie apocolyptic games to survival games.

So I thought I would ask the folks here; why are so many games competitive instead of cooperative vrs the game itself? Which do you prefer?

The coop games are far more fun in my house and we play ocassionally even now.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. martybegan

martybegan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,443
    To me there always has to be a "bad guy", even if the "bad guy" is just a friendly opponent.

There can be team play, but to me there has to be winners and losers.

I used to be addicted to World of Warcraft, and 25 person raids were perfect examples of the need for cooperation, but in the end you were still trying to beat something, just together.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,213
    Cooperative games have the 'bd guy' as well, the game itself.

For example, there is a game we used to play about surviving a desert after our plane crashed. We had to endure dehydration while we searched for parts to the plane to rebuild it and fly away.

The game was the 'bad guy' and it was difficult to win.

But yes, there always must be an opponent and with these cooperative games the system is the opponent, kind of like real life,lol.

4. martybegan

martybegan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,443
    I can see it, but in your monopoly example the game doesn't seem to be that "bad".

I've also played Arkham Horror, which is cooperative but the game itself is as evil as you can get. Winning is a real real pain in the ass.

I worry that cooperative games could morph into the "everyone gets a trophy" situation we see in kids sports.

5. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,213
    Try it with the final cash amount for the win at $25,000/player. And remember, you still have to pay the rents, you cant let Suzie off the hook because you want to and there is a fifty turn limit.

Yeah that one is hard, but if you focus on getting the clues and closing the gates early you can usually get the win that way. Some of the Old Gods are just unbeatable once they come through.

Yeah, I can see that. We still need to have competition, but it seems to be unbalanced right now between cooperative vrs competitive.

6. Penelope

Penelope Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,340
    So you played as a group. There are group games which involve more than 2 players, when we use to play scrabble, one on one it was competitive, when men verses females, it was group against group.

In Chess I play one on one and I'm competitive.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean. How can one play against the game itself?

7. BlackSand

BlackSand Nobody Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,135
    I liked an open world game that was a decent mix of both competition and cooperation ... Freelancer.

It's an older game (2007, lol) but was awesome in concept.
    It had a Universe with an abundance of solar systems (each with their own residents, ships, goods, weapons and difficulties).

You had to build a decent rep with the system's occupants to dock without them killing you.
    Some systems had AI enemies with stations or planets in the same system ... If you were friends with one the other is going to try and kill you.

The best part is that it is also a multiplayer game in its totality.
    You could work with other players to run trade routes ... Some players and NPC's could be pirates.

The most skilled pilots were hard to beat ... But that doesn't mean 3 decent pilots wouldn't spend the time cross the Universe and kill the hot shot.
    Massive wars ... NPC and Player alike ... If you wanted to work with others, it was perfect.
    And like you said ... The game was always trying to kill you one way or another.

You had to be able to actually arm and fly your ships ... There were thousands of options with advantages and disadvantages.
    Here is some live footage in game ... Take a peek at the combat sequences towards the end and the utter chaos (fun) cooperation could provide.

There are still games worth playing ... You just have to find them.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  8. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +590
    I think there is a need for both and I like both types as well. Playing Lego Star Wars with the kid is fun. We cooperate. Playing Stratego with the kid is fun. We compete. All of one or the other is probably bad or a sign of a non well rounded personality.

9. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,213
    Playing against the game is basically where the conditions to win are set for everyone to win or everyone to lose together. The game difficulty is high enough that even with everyone playing together it is a challenge to win.

10. TheOldSchool

TheOldSchool Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    last stop for sanity before reaching the south
    Ratings:
    +37,441
    There are plenty of coop games if you look in the right places. Best one to start off with imo, is Pandemic

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1