Anti Freeze would be more proper. I've used tap water many times. The reason for the recommendations for distilled water is that all impurities are filtered out. Less chance of internal corrosion.

Nobody listens to that junk though. Tap Water is fine. If adding to a battery then yes distilled water is the correct choice. Particles of tap water will collect on the plates and lower the life of the battery.

Anti Freeze would be more proper. I've used tap water many times. The reason for the recommendations for distilled water is that all impurities are filtered out. Less chance of internal corrosion.

Nobody listens to that junk though. Tap Water is fine. If adding to a battery then yes distilled water is the correct choice. Particles of tap water will collect on the plates and lower the life of the battery.
good post, but on a technicality, impurities in distilled water are distilled out.

good post, but on a technicality, impurities in distilled water are distilled out.
Filtered versus distilled.......you got me..............

I surrender. LOL

From my experience after 35+ years of working on cars, it doesn't make a noticeable difference unless you put it in the gas tank. + many batteries are sealed and you cannot add water.

I surrender. LOL
/----/ Distilled means tap water is boiled and the steam is collected, cooled and bottled. All minerals are left behind. Filtered means tap water is run through a paper or charcoal filter that collects most but not all of the sediment and minerals. As an example, sea water that is distilled will no longer contain salt and you can drink it. But sea water that is filtered will still contain most of the salt.

I surrender. LOL
/----/ Distilled means tap water is boiled and the steam is collected, cooled and bottled. All minerals are left behind. Filtered means tap water is run through a paper or charcoal filter that collects most but not all of the sediment and minerals. As an example, sea water that is distilled will no longer contain salt and you can drink it. But sea water that is filtered will still contain most of the salt.
Thank you. I understand I screwed up my wording. Why I said I screwed up.

Was in the Navy 10 years. Helped repair the systems. Usually Brine pumps screwed up........clogging up..................We used 6 stage distillation process on the 1st ship...older ship.................The last ship we produced 10,000 gallons in each engine room per day.............

After distillation the water is treated with Bromine................if you drink distilled water it will give you the shits.............lol

I ran battery shops..........we used distilled water..........as it prevents minerals from collecting on the plates...........and lengthens the life of batteries. Lead Sulphate is the death of a battery................The only thing that really matters with whether you have a good battery is the specific gravity of the sulfuric acid in the cells which can be tested with a simple Hydrometer...................For how strong the battery is you must perform a load test and record the results.

Two%20shell%20double%20effect%20distilling%20unit%20small.jpg

I recently flushed the cooling in my 20 year old truck and used distilled water with the anti-freeze for the first time. I don't exactly do a flush on a regular basis so figured it wouldn't hurt.

I surrender. LOL

Was in the Navy 10 years. Helped repair the systems. Usually Brine pumps screwed up........clogging up..................We used 6 stage distillation process on the 1st ship...older ship.................The last ship we produced 10,000 gallons in each engine room per day.............

After distillation the water is treated with Bromine................if you drink distilled water it will give you the shits.............lol

I ran battery shops..........we used distilled water..........as it prevents minerals from collecting on the plates...........and lengthens the life of batteries. Lead Sulphate is the death of a battery................The only thing that really matters with whether you have a good battery is the specific gravity of the sulfuric acid in the cells which can be tested with a simple Hydrometer...................For how strong the battery is you must perform a load test and record the results.

Again, a technicality, drinking distilled water MAY cause a person problems but only on a long term basis. I used to make 8000 gallons of the stuff everyday on a submarine and we did nothing to add anything to the water, didn't make anyone sick. But we pretty much only drank coffee back then.

To open another box, drinking demineralized water will do as you say, since demin water still carries ions, just the ions that are beneficial, to the process, not the body.

I surrender. LOL

Again, a technicality, drinking distilled water MAY cause a person problems but only on a long term basis. I used to make 8000 gallons of the stuff everyday on a submarine and we did nothing to add anything to the water, didn't make anyone sick. But we pretty much only drank coffee back then.

To open another box, drinking demineralized water will do as you say, since demin water still carries ions, just the ions that are beneficial, to the process, not the body.
Sorry, we will disagree here. We used Bromine treatment for drinking water and I believe it was the right thing to do.

Bromine and Chlorine are commonly used for Disenfection............No matter how pure your water system is contamination is possible in the holding tanks and the water lines....................

So we'll just have to disagree here.

How To Prevent Fresh Water Contamination On Ships?

• Chlorinators should be raised to 70oC before opening for inspection to kill any type of bacteria colonies. Moreover, opportunity should be taken at refits to flush the system with 50 PPM chlorine solution. Shower heads and taps should be cleaned in a similar solution every 3 months.
  • Chemicals approved and suggested by the manufactures must only be used to prevent any kind of toxicity entering the fresh water.

How To Prevent Fresh Water Contamination On Ships?

• Chlorinators should be raised to 70oC before opening for inspection to kill any type of bacteria colonies. Moreover, opportunity should be taken at refits to flush the system with 50 PPM chlorine solution. Shower heads and taps should be cleaned in a similar solution every 3 months.
  • Chemicals approved and suggested by the manufactures must only be used to prevent any kind of toxicity entering the fresh water.
/----/ Then there is this:
Atmospheric water generator
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It has been suggested that Fog collection be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since November 2016.
An atmospheric water generator (AWG) is a device that extracts water from humid ambient air. Water vapor in the air is condensed by cooling the air below its dew point, exposing the air to desiccants, or pressurizing the air. Unlike a dehumidifier, an AWG is designed to render the water potable. AWGs are useful where pure drinking water is difficult or impossible to obtain, because there is almost always a small amount of water in the air that can be extracted. The two primary techniques in use are cooling and desiccants.

And this:
Wind-powered device can produce 11 gallons per day of clean ...
TreeHugger › Technology › Clean Technology
Oct 10, 2016 - WaterSeer is a low-tech, low-cost atmospheric water condenser that ... that can 'pull'moisture from thin air and condense it into water using the ...

Distilled water costs as much as bottled drinking water, why don't you just go by a few gallons of D water for a few bucks? Why would doing this be a thing? Just do it.

Forum List

Back