Why is the secular, liberal media so hellbent on making Pope Francis tow their party line?

Pedro de San Patricio

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2015
California
The man can't even give an interview with any guarantee that it will be portrayed honestly or touch on any of the more tolerant aspects of the dogma without being hailed as a radical, revolutionary secularizer.

What he actually said: "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone!"
What the media insisted that he said: "Pope Francis assures atheists: You don't have to believe in God to go to Heaven."
The assumption the false reporting was meant to foster: "Pope says atheists go to Heaven."

What he actually said: "I think that when one meets a person like this, one must distinguish the fact of being a gay person from the fact of doing a lobby, because not all lobbies are good. That’s bad. If a person is gay and seeks the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge him?"
What he was reported to have said: If a person is gay, who am I to judge him?"
The assumption the false reporting was meant to foster: "Pope says homosexuality not a sin; expected to bless gay marriages."

What he actually said: "We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible. I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that. But when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context."
What he was reported to have said: "We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods."
The assumption the false reporting was meant to foster: "Catholic Church backs off on social issues; expected to begin allowing abortion, gay marriage, and contraception."

What he was reported to have said (to a grieving child): "Paradise is open to all of God's creatures."
What he actually said (to a general audience): We do not know the time for the consummation of the earth and of humanity, nor do we know how all things will be transformed. As deformed by sin, the shape of this world will pass away; but we are taught that God is preparing a new dwelling place and a new earth where justice will abide, and whose blessedness will answer and surpass all the longings for peace which spring up in the human heart”. This is the Church’s destination: it is, as the Bible says, the “new Jerusalem”, “Paradise”. More than a place, it is a “state” of soul in which our deepest hopes are fulfilled in superabundance and our being, as creatures and as children of God, reach their full maturity. We will finally be clothed in the joy, peace and love of God, completely, without any limit, and we will come face to face with Him!. It is beautiful to think of this, to think of Heaven. We will all be there together. It is beautiful, it gives strength to the soul."
The assumption the false reporting was meant to foster: "All dogs go to Heaven."
The pope himself debunking this: Transcript: Pope Francis' March 5 interview with Corriere della Sera

What he was reported to have said: "All religions are true, because they are true in the hearts of all those who believe in them. What other kind of truth is there?"
The source of that quote: Pope Francis Condemns Racism And Declares That “All Religions Are True” At Historic Third Vatican Council - a satirical website.

Last edited:
The enemies of Catholicism, from the secular atheists and agnostics on the right and left to their evangelical and fundamentalist and Pentecostal, will always miscontrue the Pope's words.

The enemies of Catholicism, from the secular atheists and agnostics on the right and left to their evangelical and fundamentalist and Pentecostal, will always miscontrue the Pope's words.
Not necessarily. I'm an atheist and a firm opponent of the Catholic Church. That doesn't mean I have to think we should be misrepresenting his every word.

Forum List

Back