Why is polygamy wrong?

Interesting post. So what do you think of polygamy based on your thoughts?

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

We have met

Just watch the reruns of "Big Love" on HBO, and you'll know what the answer is to Polygamy. Is it successful in our culture or any culture......Actually historically, it hasn't been.

Check out Big Love......

actaully yeah if it's what all parties concerned want
who cares
have ten wives
I have trouble dealing with one
Polygamists must be gluttons for punishment

they don't seem to have normal marriages or wives with the freedom to be bitches! i would hate it!!!!!!! lollollol

care

Part of accepting polygamy today is that our society's notion of romantic love. These marriages do not pay much homage to the concept of romance (if you can really define it) and we would have similar problems with other marriage arrangements that flew in the face of the concept.

What to have an intersting discussion? Ask your wife to define romance.....

Just watch the reruns of "Big Love" on HBO, and you'll know what the answer is to Polygamy. Is it successful in our culture or any culture......Actually historically, it hasn't been.

Check out Big Love......

We don't have HBO and I have no idea what big love is? Briefly what is it.

What to have an intersting discussion? Ask your wife to define romance.....

That changes as you get older and pretty soon you arrive on the same page - well sorta on the same page. That actually may explain why some men would prefer polygamy. lol

Personally, I think the only use for marriage these days is to provide a stable environment for children to grow up in.

We've come full circle. At one point, marriages were about creating alliances and providing security for your family.

Then marriage was about being in love. Wow, that didn't work out so well.

Now we're sort of back to seeing really, it's about creating alliances and providing security for your family.

I don't think arranged marriages turn out anywhere near as badly as marriages created on the basis of "love". I know I certainly do my best to arrange my kids' marriages. What the hell do they know? They're young and stupid!

All I know about AMERICAN poligomy is what I see on TV.

Here's what I see..

Creepy loser men who fuck children and pretend that GOD gives them that right.

Hang the wanking pederasts, I say.

And then deprogram the woman and children who are obviously dealing with the Stockholm syndrome from being their prisoner/sexslaves their whole lives.

And re-program them to what?

What do you think of re-programing the people who tell children it's okay to have sex when they're 13, and old enough to decide to get an abortion without telling their parents?

Over dinner tonight the question came up why is polygamy wrong, why does the state interfere? Why do we consider it taboo? As a liberal I have a hard time with the state telling me how to live my life. I can understand taxes or laws that prevent harm but polygamy? Thoughts?

:offtopic: Same question could be asked about prostitution. I say make it legal, make them pay taxes, that way the prostitutes get screwed too.

And re-program them to what?

What do you think of re-programing the people who tell children it's okay to have sex when they're 13, and old enough to decide to get an abortion without telling their parents?

Good question.

However I cannot be chastened for every idiotic thing that you find objectionable (like the above, for example) just because I didn't include my objection to those things in my every post

Now, shall I assume that by you asking me this question, you believe that creepy old men fucking children is okay?

No?

Okay then.

Let's both elect to play this board game fairly and not pretend that things others did not object to in their posts, isn't therefore an indication that they must support those things, shall we?

Actually, I'm torn. I think so long as the right to abortion is being accorded to underage women, the right to marriage and birth should also be accorded. Period.

They have to do with the same rights, just different populations and different beliefs. If a 13 year old has the right to have sex and not name the other party, and if a 13 year old has the right to obtain an abortion without her parents' permission, then a 13 year old by rights should be allowed to have a baby and/or get married and not have to name the father of the baby.

The right to lifers have said all along it's wrong for underage girls to have sex, and have maintained that it is the right and duty of the parents to be involved in any abortion decisions...while the other side has maintained that a 13 year old child has to be able to make the decision on their own, if they so choose, and there should be no questions asked.

But somehow, that same thought process doesn't extend to the 13 year olds who want to keep their babies and enter into what they believe is the sactity of marriage with the father of the baby.

So what gives?

Good question.

However I cannot be chastened for every idiotic thing that you find objectionable (like the above, for example) just because I didn't include my objection to those things in my every post

Now, shall I assume that by you asking me this question, you believe that creepy old men fucking children is okay?

No?

Okay then.

Let's both elect to play this board game fairly and not pretend that things others did not object to in their posts, isn't therefore an indication that they must support those things, shall we?

Ohh I see so what ever question I ask first you can not add to or ask about in another manner? I like that game shall we play it in every thread?

I just ignore it when people try to dictate what may and what may not be discussed in a thread.

Ohh I see so what ever question I ask first you can not add to or ask about in another manner? I like that game shall we play it in every thread?

Huh?

Given that I was responding to AllieBaba's post, I fear I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about.

I'm not sure that:

so what ever question I ask first you can not add to or ask about in another manner?

Exactly has anything to do with the point I was making to Allie.

My point is that assuming crap about what people think based on what they did not specifically object to is goofy and waste of everyone's time.

I propose that we stop this rhetorical question game of trying to put things into other people's mouths by pretending that you thought they meant bla bla bla, which wasn't anything remotely like what they'd written.

The Rhetorical question game is cheap, sophomoric debaters' technique for creating caracatures of other people's positions.

If you have something you want to say, use a declaritive sentence, and don't insinuate that somebody else is saying it by asking them if that is what they meant.

Clear?

Last edited:
Ok, so let's put it this way.

If we can dismantle families based upon the fact that their underaged girls are having sex, having babies with the parent's permission based on the fact that it's ILLEGAL for those girls to have sex, then we should be dismantling families based on the fact that their underaged girls are having sex, aborting babies without the parent's permission based upon the fact that it's ILLEGAL for those girls to have sex.

And until you apply the law equally, it shouldn't be applied at all, because it's DISCRIMINATION. I have no problem with making it enforced across the board...but until you do, get the fuck out of the lives of underaged girls having babies. You've already said it's their bodies, their choice. Until you agree to change that (wrong) premise, you have no right targeting Christian families for making use of the same "rights".

Over dinner tonight the question came up why is polygamy wrong, why does the state interfere? Why do we consider it taboo? As a liberal I have a hard time with the state telling me how to live my life. I can understand taxes or laws that prevent harm but polygamy? Thoughts?

if you truly believe this, you are on the wrong side of the political aisle....

that being said, it gets down to caring for the multiple kids & abuse situations....

Forum List

Back