Why is polygamy wrong?

Actually, I'm torn. I think so long as the right to abortion is being accorded to underage women, the right to marriage and birth should also be accorded. Period.

that's a good point
society ought to probably re-think our position on abortion
and we should probably not be telling our kids having sex is ok as long as you strap on a rubber
the bottom line is that all actions have consequences
that's the reason society has tended to order and regulate certin behavior
I don't especially want or need the government regulating my life or anyone elses
but society probably should to some degree
it seems to stay on course a bit better that way

the basis against "gay marriage" is that it does nothing to perpuate the human family size.....that is the primary reason for marriage in the first place....

I have to disagree with that even though I am a father with perfect children now married and fathers too - the primary reason for marriage is companionship which can be defined as lots of things. Children are both a blessing and a heck of a lot of work and all your time. I know too many who marry for company or financial reasons and I know lots of gays who stay together for companionship. I even know gay women for whom the maternal instinct calls them to motherhood. We exist on this sphere for only a brief moment sometimes it nice to have someone else around and sometimes it ain't Ossie and Harriet.

I have to disagree with that even though I am a father with perfect children now married and fathers too - the primary reason for marriage is companionship which can be defined as lots of things. Children are both a blessing and a heck of a lot of work and all your time. I know too many who marry for company or financial reasons and I know lots of gays who stay together for companionship. I even know gay women for whom the maternal instinct calls them to motherhood. We exist on this sphere for only a brief moment sometimes it nice to have someone else around and sometimes it ain't Ossie and Harriet.

Don't drag Beaver into this !!!!:lol:

I don't see anything wrong with Polygamy. As long as the people involved have no problems with it. The style and nature of a family should no be a political issue. The government should stay out of peoples bedrooms as long as they contain consenting adults.

Over dinner tonight the question came up why is polygamy wrong, why does the state interfere? Why do we consider it taboo? As a liberal I have a hard time with the state telling me how to live my life. I can understand taxes or laws that prevent harm but polygamy? Thoughts?

The answer is simple:

Humans are not chickens.

When baby chickens hatch, there is a low ratio of males to females. As adults, there are several hens per rooster.

When humans have babies, the ratio is one male per female (statistically it's more like 105 males to 100 females, the ratio is very close to 1:1. As children grow up, males have a slightly higher death rate, evening out the ratio even more). So, as adults, there's one man for every woman.

Last edited:
Ok, so let's put it this way.

If we can dismantle families based upon the fact that their underaged girls are having sex, having babies with the parent's permission based on the fact that it's ILLEGAL for those girls to have sex, then we should be dismantling families based on the fact that their underaged girls are having sex, aborting babies without the parent's permission based upon the fact that it's ILLEGAL for those girls to have sex.

And until you apply the law equally, it shouldn't be applied at all, because it's DISCRIMINATION. I have no problem with making it enforced across the board...but until you do, get the fuck out of the lives of underaged girls having babies. You've already said it's their bodies, their choice. Until you agree to change that (wrong) premise, you have no right targeting Christian families for making use of the same "rights".

It's not easy for me to say this, but ....

you have a point there.

I don't see anything wrong with Polygamy. As long as the people involved have no problems with it. The style and nature of a family should no be a political issue. The government should stay out of peoples bedrooms as long as they contain consenting adults.

Nor do I have a problem with it either. While what other people do in the privacy of their homes might not especially be my cup of tea, who am I or anyone to dictate how what should make them happy.

Make love, not war. And make it in any way that suits you.

the basis against "gay marriage" is that it does nothing to perpuate the human family size.....that is the primary reason for marriage in the first place....

Crapola.

First of all, we need to limit, not enlarge family size.

Second, gays are just as capable of reproduction as breeders and does that really need pointing out?

Third, anti gay marriage sentiment is based on lack of understanding of basic human rights and American style equality. People who want to limit other people's ways of life that do not infringe on anyone else's are control freaks who need to get a grip on reality.

It's not easy for me to say this, but ....

you have a point there.

No. She doesn't. She's an imbecile. She wants to deflect from the fact that old men were bonking little girls and saying it was in the name of Jesus by pretending that any sexual activity is somehow suspect.

She's tried to distract from the real issue from day one because in her heart of hearts she believes that if they say anything, no matter how obscene, is for Jesus, then it's ok. And if you say how disgusting it is, then you're somehow in some bizarre fantasy world of hers, "bashing Christians".

We should dismantle families because kids don't always behave?

That's twisted.

I'm not always correct in my interpretations of Alliebabble but I think she's saying that if kids are old enough to make independent decisions concerning abortion, then they are old enough to have consensual sex.

I'm not always correct in my interpretations of Alliebabble but I think she's saying that if kids are old enough to make independent decisions concerning abortion, then they are old enough to have consensual sex.
That would make sense. What doesn't make sense is that old geezers can form a cult and marry underage girls.

No. She doesn't. She's an imbecile. She wants to deflect from the fact that old men were bonking little girls and saying it was in the name of Jesus by pretending that any sexual activity is somehow suspect.

She's tried to distract from the real issue from day one because in her heart of hearts she believes that if they say anything, no matter how obscene, is for Jesus, then it's ok. And if you say how disgusting it is, then you're somehow in some bizarre fantasy world of hers, "bashing Christians".
No doubt about her slant on everything fundamentalist Christian but if she is saying what I think she is saying, I might have to agree with her.

As far as certain old men coercing young girls into marriage and sex that is a form of sexual harrassment.

Last edited:

wrong---she's appealing for equal treatment under the law. If 15 year old coming in for an abortion, the law has been broken just as the law was broken in the religious commune.

That would make sense. What doesn't make sense is that old geezers can form a cult and marry underage girls.

I think pathetic old men are free to form a cult and dream about seducing young girls, but they should be prevented from luring these young girls into situations where they become isolated and brainwashed into making decisions they would not make otherwise if not cut off from the bigger world.

It's a difficult issue to sort out. I think the government's role in protecting young girls and their futures by seeing that they have every opportunity to avoid underage motherhood and abusive exploitive relationships.

Forum List

Back