Why is Liberal Radio Such a Flop?

SAYIT

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2012
There's certainly enough Libs in America to support liberal talk radio but it never seems to succeed. I'm not extolling the virtues of Con radio because it nuts but at least it's entertaining.
I'm guessing it is because once Libs hear themselves and each other speak they are embarrassed by their silliness.
Any other logical reasons?

Last edited:
Because they are angry people and all of them try too hard to sound smart, when they just end up looking like poseurs playing a part. Plus, their agenda is way out of the mainstream of thought.

And, they lack the skills and think they are so smart that no one will care.

Bombastic and conspiratorial deliveries such as those offered up by Rush "pass the oxycodone" Limbaugh and Glenn "the sky is falling" Beck do not appeal to anyone who thinks. We Liberals seem to prefer National Public Radio where the news is filled with facts, not editorializations, the programs are fun and informative rather than alarms about conspiracies and the conversation is multisyllabic and stimulating.

Ever notice how Right Wing radio plays on themes of militarization and violence? Rush broadcasts from his "Southern Command". A local host claims he is broadcasting from "The War Room". Makes me wonder if any other theme could possibly appeal to the modern Conservative.

Because they are angry people and all of them try too hard to sound smart, when they just end up looking like poseurs playing a part. Plus, their agenda is way out of the mainstream of thought.

I dunno. There's plenty of Cons who fit that description. It just seems that in conversation lib politics is ... BORING.

I caught a bit of Rush today. A woman called in, complained that it 'wasn't american' for 'them' to take away Donald Sterling's team and livelihood. She said 'they' should just let the market take care of it, but that it wasn't right for 'them' to to do anything to him.

Rush played along with her. Never did he correct her on the market forces that were in work in Sterling's ban, or that the 'they' in this instance was the NBA and by their rules they're fully justified in acting as they have to protect their industry and was not in any way, shape, or form the government as she seemed to imply. Then he went on a tirade about how women, minorities, and basically anyone but white, christian males has it easy.

That's why liberal talk radio doesn't work. Not enough dishonesty to make it entertaining.

There's certainly enough Libs in America to support liberal talk radio but it never seems to succeed. I'm not extolling the virtues of Con radio because it nuts but at least it's entertaining.
I'm guessing it is because once Libs hear themselves and each other speak they are embarrassed by their silliness.

Shinola doesn't sell very well.

As for Liberals being embarrassed by silliness....yes. I guess that makes Conservatives NOT embarrassed by silliness, eh?

Liberal radio is a flop? I take it then you believe that National Public Radio isn't liberal,

because it has 2 shows in the top 4.

And were it not for taxpayer dollars it would have folded up shop years ago.

Bombastic and conspiratorial deliveries such as those offered up by Rush "pass the oxycodone" Limbaugh and Glenn "the sky is falling" Beck do not appeal to anyone who thinks. We Liberals seem to prefer National Public Radio where the news is filled with facts, not editorializations, the programs are fun and informative rather than alarms about conspiracies and the conversation is multisyllabic and stimulating.

Ever notice how Right Wing radio plays on themes of militarization and violence? Rush broadcasts from his "Southern Command". A local host claims he is broadcasting from "The War Room". Makes me wonder if any other theme could possibly appeal to the modern Conservative.

I admit I don't do talk radio - I prefer music - but there has to be enough from the lib POV that's interesting enough to talk about. Right? Yet Lib talk radio fails miserably.
You're saying you prefer to be told what you are thinking (or are to think) by NPR rather than air your thoughts publically?

To address the OP, the main reason why is you have a bunch of very shrill, completely biased, angry as hell, mean spirited people involved in it. I truly am a liberal Democrat but I can't listen to the likes of Ed Schulz and Maddow. I can't listen to idiots like Hannity or O'Reilly either though.

On radio I prefer Tom Sullivan and occasionally Lars Larson. On TV I don't like any of them.

Liberal radio is a flop? I take it then you believe that National Public Radio isn't liberal,

because it has 2 shows in the top 4.

In what market?
NPR doesn't have to turn a profit so they get ratings by default. If the follies of Air America and its predecessor don't make clear to you that Lib talk shows are a bust, you are living in denial. Carry on, soldier. :drillsergeant:

Smart is bad....yes, we get it. :D

Smart is good, but I never heard much from the left. They tend to confuse snotty arrogance with intelligence.

When I first began to listen to talk radio a lot (mid 80's) on WABC in NY, they had a woman named Lynn Samuels (RIP) on for two hours before Rush. This was when his national show just started. I liked her show a lot. I didn't agree with her on almost anything, but she was entertaining and a real NYC character. She is the only person I ever heard on the left who understood the importance of entertaining her audience.

Listen to Bill Moyers for twenty minutes and you're looking for your pistol to take the big sleep.

I don't know why you say that liberalism in radio is a failure. Liberalism is a failure and so the radio programs simply follow that trend. You could say that liberal radio is a success because it perfectly mimics the ideology.

I caught a bit of Rush today. A woman called in, complained that it 'wasn't american' for 'them' to take away Donald Sterling's team and livelihood. She said 'they' should just let the market take care of it, but that it wasn't right for 'them' to to do anything to him.

Rush played along with her. Never did he correct her on the market forces that were in work in Sterling's ban, or that the 'they' in this instance was the NBA and by their rules they're fully justified in acting as they have to protect their industry and was not in any way, shape, or form the government as she seemed to imply. Then he went on a tirade about how women, minorities, and basically anyone but white, christian males has it easy.

That's why liberal talk radio doesn't work. Not enough dishonesty to make it entertaining.

I don't know if that is typical of Con talk radio or you are cherry picking but Rush seems to do OK. Goofy as that stuff may often be at least it is entertaining enough to draw.
Lib radio is boring because...

Shinola doesn't sell very well.

As for Liberals being embarrassed by silliness....yes. I guess that makes Conservatives NOT embarrassed by silliness, eh?

Perhaps but at least it's entertaining (for some). Lib radio is BORING.

Forum List

Back