Panhandlers: Do They Really Need Help Or Is It A Scam?

Scammers! There are quite a few in the MD/DC/VA region that will have their kids and sometimes pets with them, trying to trigger peoples' sympathy in hopes of being handed more money. Most of them are strategic in where they "plan" to hang out on any particular day. Usually it's around busy shopping centers located at major intersections. I've seen one group get out of a newer Honda Civic, another "family" get out of a newer soccer mom van, and one man that walked across the street into a parking lot only to get into a new Ford Raptor. None of these people look like they are homeless or on the verge of being homeless. Their clothes are clean, not tattered or ragged, hair is clean, shoes look fairly new. Until local areas start cracking down on the panhandling, it won't end.
Scammers indeed! Here in California it has been a way of life for far too many for years.

Way back in the 80's, there was a well know radio station host who did an expose on it.

Someone from his station dressed in dirty shabby clothes and stood on a busy freeway off ramp with a cardboard sign, not far from another beggar.

Hours later someone else from the same station followed this person who got into a newer Mercedes-Benz parked less than a mile away and drove off, to an upscale community in Huntington Beach and parked in the driveway of a home there.

The person from the radio station summoned a camera crew, who knocked on the door, and the person answered.

When they confronted him, of course he slammed the door shut.

Weeks later it was in the newspaper that this person was part of a network of scammers that were on average getting thousands of dollars from people who thought they were "helping the less fortunate".

Whenever anyone approaches me begging for money, I give them directions to the nearest local shelter and tell them to get lost.

Forum List

Back