Why is jesus not a jew in churches?

Dunno what color His eyes were, but I'd probably bet on blue, seeing as it's one of God's favorite colors.

As far as what He actually looked like? Well, if you get a chance, check out the History Channel sometime when they re-play the series "Death Masks". One of them is called "The Real Face of Jesus", and there is a group of scientists who did SIGNIFICANT research on the Shroud of Turin.

Using computer imaging as well as some other really high tech stuff, they came up with a 3 dimensional representation of what was on the Shroud.

Interestingly enough, He pretty much looks like what you'd think. And.....FWIW.......Jewish people in Israel at the time were pretty much Caucasian.

One of the main things that set Him apart from everyone else is the fact that He was over 6 1/2 feet tall. Most Hebrews top out at around 5'6.
Blue-eyed folks like me are really freaks among the humans. The vast majority of human eyes are brown.

Find me the blue-eyed Oriental/Hispanic/Negro.

Lots and lots of blue-eyed blond Hispanics most especially in Cuba, Mexico City, Spain, and also some northern Italians are fair skinned and blue eyed. It is very rare for Asian people to have blue eyes but it is not unprecedented. It would be much more rare for a dark skinned African to have other than dark eyes, but not impossible.

If you were born 2000 years ago in Palestine, chances are pretty good you didn't have blond hair, blue eyes and a fair complexion. Most people did not travel more than 100 miles from where they were born then, so you get a very homogeneous population.

The only reason Jesus is portrayed as looking more like Kenny Loggins than Omar Sharif is because the folks drawing the image were fair, blue-eyed Caucasians.

You might be right.

But if Jesus is the son of God, which to Christians he is, it seems pretty silly to argue that he's supposed to look like a rabbi. :)
The Jewish people worship the same God as I. I'm not quite sure what type of theology you practice, but in mine, the God of Abraham is the God of St. Peter/St. Paul and Father of Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus was a rabbi. He was Jewish in every meaning of the word. So what's so silly?

As illustrated by passages in the New Testament Jesus was respected by his contemporaries as a trained rabbi most likely from someone in Galilee.

Very good.

Dunno what color His eyes were, but I'd probably bet on blue, seeing as it's one of God's favorite colors.

As far as what He actually looked like? Well, if you get a chance, check out the History Channel sometime when they re-play the series "Death Masks". One of them is called "The Real Face of Jesus", and there is a group of scientists who did SIGNIFICANT research on the Shroud of Turin.

Using computer imaging as well as some other really high tech stuff, they came up with a 3 dimensional representation of what was on the Shroud.

Interestingly enough, He pretty much looks like what you'd think. And.....FWIW.......Jewish people in Israel at the time were pretty much Caucasian.

One of the main things that set Him apart from everyone else is the fact that He was over 6 1/2 feet tall. Most Hebrews top out at around 5'6.
Blue-eyed folks like me are really freaks among the humans. The vast majority of human eyes are brown.

Lots and lots of blue-eyed blond Hispanics most especially in Cuba, Mexico City, Spain, and also some northern Italians are fair skinned and blue eyed. It is very rare for Asian people to have blue eyes but it is not unprecedented. It would be much more rare for a dark skinned African to have other than dark eyes, but not impossible.
The gene for brown eyes is dominant while the gene for blue eyes is not. The only reason I have stunning blue Paul Newman eyes is because both Mom and Pop had blue eyes.

The gene for brown eyes is dominant while the gene for blue eyes is not. The only reason I have stunning blue Paul Newman eyes is because both Mom and Pop had blue eyes.

.....AND those genes are the ones that got together when you were conceived. It would be less likely but not impossible for your parents to both be brown eyed and you be blue eyed if the luck of the draw pulled the right genes out of their gene pool. :)

Mr. Foxfyre has gorgeous brown eyes. I have blue eyes. Our son is blue-eyed. Our daughter brown-eyed. So much for the dominance of the brown gene. :)

There is no mention in Scripture that Sodom 'mistreated the poor'. Using various texts Sodom and Gommorah were destroyed for their great wickedness and immorality--not even ten righteous men could be found there--and as an example to others of what their fate would be if they did not repent. That was the perception of those who wrote of the event whether or not it was accurately perceived.

And since the destruction of Sodom is dated up to and/or more than 2000 years prior to the birth of Jesus, and the written acounts of the Old Testament were completed many hundreds of years before any New Testament writings were produced, I think your remarks are much more irrelevent than mine.

Again,
49 “‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
God directly mentions that the city of Sodom not helping the poor and needy was part of the "sin" that led to their destruction.

If you want to make the case that Jesus doesn't agree with God on this matter, go for it. :thup:

Again Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed sometime near 2000 B.C. Ezekial was addressing Isralites from exile in 6th Century B.C. The only Hebrew reference to the "poor" in Sodom and Gommorah is translated as inhospitability to the stranger/traveler which was a big deal in that culture and almost certainly related to the incident of the townspeople wanting to rape Lot's visitors. (Being aware of that requirement and being the great guy that he was, he offered them his daughters instead.) And since Ezekial used the same Hebrew word it is safe to assume that was also his intent in recounting the story unless he himself misunderstood which we cannot know. Remember if you take the whole context of the Sodom and Gomorrah into literal consideration, God also included the 'poor' among the unrighteous and wicked there.

Jesus wouldn't be along for more than 600 more years after Ezekial and there is no indication that he encouraged or expected God's wrath to rain down on the uncharitable. He certainly called for the destruction of nobody. His tactic was much more likely to be repent, go and sin no more.

Jesus was certainly not opposed to concern for the poor. He wouldn't, however, have called YOU charitable if you gave somebody else MY money. :)
Jesus spoke of damnation, not destruction, which for Christians is actually worse. He mentioned Sodom several times and he continually preached that all should help the poor. Not once did he state how to help them: individually, as a private group, or as a society.

Still waiting for your case that Jesus didn't agree with God.

just as i thought
look at what it says in the KJV

48As I live, saith the Lord GOD, Sodom thy sister hath not done, she nor her daughters, as thou hast done, thou and thy daughters.
49Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
50And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.

doesnt quite say the same thing
Actually it does...they were prideful, gluttonous, idle and did not help the poor, and were haughty and committed abominations.

You seem to have forgotten what the word and means.

All these things added together caused the destruction of Sodom.

And you seem to not know that the modern 20th Century American will read an English translation of the Hebrew text differently than will one who has an understanding of the meaning of Hebrew words and reading the same text in Hebrew.

Again the Hebrew word shown as 'poor' in some English translations referred to the traveler/stranger/visitor which the Hebews were required to accommodate in their culture.

From the Gospel of John:

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.
1 John 3 - PassageLookup - New International Version, ©2010 - BibleGateway.com

If Jesus was born in Jeruselem then he is Jewish right? But, in every church I have visited both Black and White he is not as the bible describes: woolly hair, brown skin. Instead he is a White man. Why is that?

I've been in some churches that describe him as a woolly hair, brown skinned Jew of the Hebrew sect. Jesus difinitly was not a caucasian lad.
Zola Levitt (a Jew) turned to Christianity in the early 70s. He followed Messianic Judaism or Jews for Jesus as it is sometimes called. Gentiles weren't followers of Jesus until sometime after he died. Paul (Saul) was the first to preach to them. JEWS (or brown skinned folks) were the FIRST Christians.
But his (Jesus) race never came up much though. The main point was that he died and shed his blood for ALL of us. Regardless of what color our worthless hide is.

Jews aren't caucasian?

LOL!

I'm curious...people in this thread have referred to biblical references of "brown skin/woolly hair" and a red-headed David (Jesus was not just a relative of David, but a descendant on Mary's AND Joseph's side. Not that Joseph was his father...)

Where are these descriptions? I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I haven't seen them. If they're in there, I'd like to be able to reference them as well.

Nobody really cares what Jesus looked like. It doesn't matter. He was God on earth, so I imagine he was attractive and representative of all mankind, so his ethnicity was probably ambiguous.

From the Gospel of John:

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.
In the original version, love meant hate. The meaning was changed in translation. Jesus, and God before him, apparently thought the poor sucked and that helping them was the same thing as enabling their dirty, skulking laziness.

From the Gospel of John:

In the original version, love meant hate. The meaning was changed in translation. Jesus, and God before him, apparently thought the poor sucked and that helping them was the same thing as enabling their dirty, skulking laziness.
ah, back to the known moron

The Church my family attended when I was a child had a huge crucifixion with the INRI sign over Jesus' head. I remember during Sunday school class I raised my hand and asked what that sign meant. The priest explained they were mocking Jesus as "King of the Jews". They also taught us how he studied with the elders at the Temple and had a Bar Mitzvah when he came of age...

The letters “INRI” are initials for the Latin title that Pontius Pilate had written over the head of Jesus Christ on the cross (John 19:19). Latin was the official language of the Roman Empire.

The words were "Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Ivdaeorvm." Latin uses “I” instead of the English “J”, and “V” instead of “U” (i.e., Jesus Nazarenus Rex Judaeorum). The English translation is "Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews."

Artist's impression of Christ on the cross. The Early Church adopted the first letters of each word of this inscription “INRI” as a symbol. Throughout the centuries INRI has appeared in many paintings of the crucifixion.

By the way, Pilate's title for Christ was actually written in three languages.

And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS. This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin. Then said the chief priests of the Jews to Pilate, "Write not, 'The King of the Jews;' but that he said, 'I am King of the Jews'." Pilate answered, "What I have written I have written."
-John 19:19-22 (KJV)

What do the letters ?INRI? on the crucifix mean? - ChristianAnswers.Net

From the Gospel of John:

:confused:

From the Gospel of John:

:lol: Yes, Ravi...After all that was only John's OPINION, subject to interpretation...

From the Gospel of John:

LOL. I won't call Ravi a moron but Ravi is a moving target or brick wall whichever mood is in play it seems. And I will agree that this interpretation is waaaaaaay over the top. :)

From the Gospel of John:
It's pointless to argue with people that think they know everything and put words and meanings in to the bible that simply are not there.

Sometimes I just have to give up.

IMO, Sodom was destroyed in part because of their treatment of the poor. And nothing posted subsequently changes that fact.

Why is jesus not a jew in churches?

Could it be for the same reason that CBS dosen't talk about the great shows that are on NBC?

Forum List

Back