Why is it?????????

Me also because I have a fax machine.

You don't have cable internet? If so, you could use that instead.

Yes I do, don't know how to do that but then again it wouldn't matter..... My wife wants the land line.........

Aaaahh. In any case, internet providers like Charter and Mediacom advertise phone with their cable, but you don't need it. Any fax/scanner/copier/printer combo and you're good to go even without the phone bundle.

You don't have cable internet? If so, you could use that instead.

Yes I do, don't know how to do that but then again it wouldn't matter..... My wife wants the land line.........

Aaaahh. In any case, internet providers like Charter and Mediacom advertise phone with their cable, but you don't need it. Any fax/scanner/copier/printer combo and you're good to go even without the phone bundle.

I have the entire bundle through Verizon Fios. I assume my land line runs through their cable network if that's what you mean.

I have the entire bundle through Verizon Fios. I assume my land line runs through their cable network if that's what you mean.

Could be. But phone wires and coaxial cable are two entirely different animals. You should be able to tell which one your phone is hooked up to.

Last edited:

Could be. But phone wires and coaxial cable are two entirely different animals. You should be able to tell which one your phone is hooked up to. If it is the cable, then no, you don't have a "land line."

Not unless I go look at the main outside box Verizon installed and right now it's dark and rainy.
The interior phone connect is CAT3 but I think it terminates in the Verizon wall box and is transfered to fiber optic.
I'm pretty sure I know the difference between CAT3, standard cable and fiber optic not to mention CAT5.

Could be. But phone wires and coaxial cable are two entirely different animals. You should be able to tell which one your phone is hooked up to. If it is the cable, then no, you don't have a "land line."

Not unless I go look at the main outside box Verizon installed and right now it's dark and rainy.
The interior phone connect is CAT3 but I think it terminates in the Verizon wall box and is transfered to fiber optic.
I'm pretty sure I know the difference between CAT3, standard cable and fiber optic not to mention CAT5.

I would hope you could tell the difference between CAT1 and CAT3, and fiber optic. They're all VERY different.

If you're home internet is all run on fiber optic, that's new to me. But what my initial point was, what was commonly referred to as a "land line" was the old hard wired with CAT1 home phone. My other point is/was, there really isn't any need for that anymore if you have high speed cable. I could call anyone I want right now with Skype from my computer, or any number of other programs that are available. Sounds like you've bundled a phone with your cable, but you don't really need that either, unless you like walking around the house with a cordless phone, but you could use Magic Jack for that. You're paying through the nose for something you don't need.

But a "land line," in the old sense of the phrase, no, you don't have one... IMO.

I would hope you could tell the difference between CAT1 and CAT3, and fiber optic. They're all VERY different.

If you're home internet is all run on fiber optic, that's new to me. But what my initial point was, what was commonly referred to as a "land line" was the old hard wired with CAT1 home phone. My other point is/was, there really isn't any need for that anymore if you have high speed cable. I could call anyone I want right now with Skype from my computer, or any number of other programs that are available. Sounds like you've bundled a phone with your cable, but you don't really need that either, unless you like walking around the house with a cordless phone, but you could use Magic Jack for that. You're paying through the nose for something you don't need.

But a "land line," in the old sense of the phrase, no, you don't have one... IMO.

Unless you have fiber optic in your house the systems you use are connected to the fiber optics via an exterior wall mounted junction box that transfers you standard lines to the fiber optic system. I know some about Skype, Ekiga (no longer connected with Skype) and many others and their current limitations. I also know when my Verizon contract is up I'll probably move to Ekiga for my land line but I need to do some more research. As for Magic Jack, I haven't heard very good things about them.
I would move my TV to internet only if my local stations were available but alas that hasn't happened yet.
My cell service is via Virgin Mobile and I pay $25 per month for 300 minutes plus unlimited texting for me and $7 per month plus 20 cents per minute for wife who almost never uses her cell phone.

Unless you have fiber optic in your house the systems you use are connected to the fiber optics via an exterior wall mounted junction box that transfers you standard lines to the fiber optic system. I know some about Skype, Ekiga (no longer connected with Skype) and many others and their current limitations. I also know when my Verizon contract is up I'll probably move to Ekiga for my land line but I need to do some more research. As for Magic Jack, I haven't heard very good things about them.
I would move my TV to internet only if my local stations were available but alas that hasn't happened yet.
My cell service is via Virgin Mobile and I pay $25 per month for 300 minutes plus unlimited texting for me and $7 per month plus 20 cents per minute for wife who almost never uses her cell phone.

I know Mediacom just installed all new fiber optics in this area, and I'm real happy with it. The only optic cable I have in this house is the digital optical cable I have between my cable TV box audio out and my receiver. I get 5.1 Dolby Digital surround from that. My son had Magic Jack and yes, it sucked. Even though he still has time left on his year subscription, he bought a new cell phone.

Pale my mother lives in Merrill, outside Wausau, and last I knew they don't even have high speed internet availability.

Pale my mother lives in Merrill, outside Wausau, and last I knew they don't even have high speed internet availability.

Does the pony express still deliver there?

They haven't invented ponies there yet.

Bummer!

Maybe they'd be interested in my new invention! It's the latest thing in being able to go nowhere really fast!

square_wheels.jpg

Why is it you're driving and no one else is on the road until you have to make a left turn then suddenly there is a line of cars stretching a half mile back that you have to wait for. :evil:
Suppose that you're out driving around in an unfamiliar place, running some errands. Then, you decide that you'd like to drop by a Wal-Mart (not Target or K-Mart) or have a sammich at a Wendy's (not Taco Bell or McDonalds).

So, you figure that these institutions of suburban corporate generica are so ubiquitous, that all you'd have to do is run down one or two of the local main drags and you'll eventually run into one.

But, NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not only will you more than likely NOT find the Wal-Mart, Wendy's or <insert your targeted business here>, but you will more than likely drive past a Target, a couple of Burger Kings, A Homeboy Depot and/or Lowes, numerous grocery stores, uncounted Walgreens/CVS/Rite-Aids, etcetera.

WTF is up with that?
Looking for a greater degree of corporate homogenization? Why is it that Dayton Ohio should look just like Dayton Tennessee?

My "Why is it?????" is; why is it when I pull up to the drive through lane at the bank, there's always someone trying to finance a house in the car ahead of me?

Why is it when I pull into the drive through window at a fast food dump, the car ahead of me is ordering enough food to alleviate the hunger in Haiti?

Why is it you're driving and no one else is on the road until you have to make a left turn then suddenly there is a line of cars stretching a half mile back that you have to wait for. :evil:
Suppose that you're out driving around in an unfamiliar place, running some errands. Then, you decide that you'd like to drop by a Wal-Mart (not Target or K-Mart) or have a sammich at a Wendy's (not Taco Bell or McDonalds).

So, you figure that these institutions of suburban corporate generica are so ubiquitous, that all you'd have to do is run down one or two of the local main drags and you'll eventually run into one.

But, NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not only will you more than likely NOT find the Wal-Mart, Wendy's or <insert your targeted business here>, but you will more than likely drive past a Target, a couple of Burger Kings, A Homeboy Depot and/or Lowes, numerous grocery stores, uncounted Walgreens/CVS/Rite-Aids, etcetera.

WTF is up with that?
The discount retailers I can understand, the fast food joints however...........
Eeeeewwwwww............

Forum List

Back