why is government making it difficult to work?

scruffy

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2022
Here is the latest in a long list of government actions making it more difficult for Joe Average to support a family.

This particular one comes out of CA, where the governor Newsom signed into law a bill that basically says truckers can't be independent contractors.

Think about that. How many owner-operators do you know? How many do you see when you're driving on the freeway?

All these people, now have to sell their rigs, and go to work for one of the majors. And driving a truck involves security checks and DMV clearances and all kinds of other time consuming stuff.

There are many.other examples. In engineering, the IRS has made it virtually impossible to be a freelance contractor ("consultant") any more.

As a right leaning libertarian, my attitude is "work or starve". But it should be EASY to get a job. There is plenty of work that needs doing. Anyone and everyone should be able to.pick.up the phone, and be working the next day. Even if it's only stuffing envelopes at minimum wage.

In the 60's I used to walk down the street with a pile of resumes, it never took me more than ONE DAY to find work. Today, no one will even talk to you until AFTER you've applied online (which takes half a day), and passed the security check (which takes another day), and then finally you get the in person interview which takes another day.

And the REASON for all this?

Government regulations!

It's actually very hard to hire someone as an employee, now.

You can't even do temp work anymore, you have to be an employee of the temp company, which means you ain't gonna be working for a week. In NY in the 80's I used to be able to walk into a temp place at 6am and be working that same day. Not any more.

The labor market is being over-regulated.

Here is the latest in a long list of government actions making it more difficult for Joe Average to support a family.

This particular one comes out of CA, where the governor Newsom signed into law a bill that basically says truckers can't be independent contractors.

Think about that. How many owner-operators do you know? How many do you see when you're driving on the freeway?

All these people, now have to sell their rigs, and go to work for one of the majors. And driving a truck involves security checks and DMV clearances and all kinds of other time consuming stuff.

There are many.other examples. In engineering, the IRS has made it virtually impossible to be a freelance contractor ("consultant") any more.

As a right leaning libertarian, my attitude is "work or starve". But it should be EASY to get a job. There is plenty of work that needs doing. Anyone and everyone should be able to.pick.up the phone, and be working the next day. Even if it's only stuffing envelopes at minimum wage.

In the 60's I used to walk down the street with a pile of resumes, it never took me more than ONE DAY to find work. Today, no one will even talk to you until AFTER you've applied online (which takes half a day), and passed the security check (which takes another day), and then finally you get the in person interview which takes another day.

Government regulations!

You can't even do temp work anymore, you have to be an employee of the temp company, which means you ain't gonna be working for a week. In NY in the 80's I used to be able to walk into a temp place at 6am and be working that same day. Not any more.

because most of them have never had to have a regular job, and they don't appreciate the worry and struggle that most people have.

Government regulations!

Union lobbying again & Gov. New$om has both hand$ out! I am with you on the "right leaning Libertarian".

In Canads the taxpayer foots the bill in the billions each yesr to fund msssive police agencies activities against xitizens via covert mesns to directly interfere in peoples ability to support themselves. No warrwnt or legitimate ressoin other than them protecting their dishonest cult members, especislly in Toronto. You will get to where we are eventuslly. Just remember that you had plenty of warning, unlike ourselves...

First the article is from 2019. You should be able to see whether or not the law has done what it claimed by now or not.

It read to me to be a law that was curtailing business from hiring truckers and then still claiming they were independent thereby avoiding the costs of them being an employee and not giving them any benefits associated with being an employee. Like getting paid if you are sick.

First the article is from 2019. You should be able to see whether or not the law has done what it claimed by now or not.

It read to me to be a law that was curtailing business from hiring truckers and then still claiming they were independent thereby avoiding the costs of them being an employee and not giving them any benefits associated with being an employee. Like getting paid if you are sick.
Independents don't get benefits, they handle their own. They have to buy their own medical insurance so they get slightly better pay for that. These people don't want corporate benefits, they'd rather handle their own.

Government regulations!

Democrats have created a society where increasingly more men between the ages of 25 and 50 our permanently out of the work force

It is their mission in life.

Republicans are too busy playing with themselves to notice.

Independents don't get benefits, they handle their own. They have to buy their own medical insurance so they get slightly better pay for that. These people don't want corporate benefits, they'd rather handle their own.

If they don't work for a company that is fine. As noted, again 2019. What has happened?

Government regulations!

Why single out 'working'? The govt makes everything worse / harder.

But Trump and his ilk knows and understands that struggle, right?
iu

Government regulations!

Much of the attention around the bill, which goes into effect in January, has centered around “gig” workers, notably drivers for Uber and Lyft, who operate as independent contractors. The author of the bill, Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez (D-San Diego), called them out in her statement on the signing of the bill, but also truck drivers
“By applying a strict test to determine who is an independent contractor and making employment status a default under the law, working Californians who have been kept off payroll as employees will gain access to basic labor rights for the first time, including rights to minimum wage, overtime, unemployment insurance, workers’ compensation, paid sick days, paid family leave, workplace protections against harassment and retaliation, and the right to form or join a union. Some of the many workers who will benefit include janitorial workers, construction workers, port truck drivers, home health aides, hotel and hospitality workers, delivery and ride-hail drivers.”

I can tell you rightist hate the idea of humans having employee rights, or determining who is an employee and who is not.

Much of the attention around the bill, which goes into effect in January, has centered around “gig” workers, notably drivers for Uber and Lyft, who operate as independent contractors. The author of the bill, Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez (D-San Diego), called them out in her statement on the signing of the bill, but also truck drivers
“By applying a strict test to determine who is an independent contractor and making employment status a default under the law, working Californians who have been kept off payroll as employees will gain access to basic labor rights for the first time, including rights to minimum wage, overtime, unemployment insurance, workers’ compensation, paid sick days, paid family leave, workplace protections against harassment and retaliation, and the right to form or join a union. Some of the many workers who will benefit include janitorial workers, construction workers, port truck drivers, home health aides, hotel and hospitality workers, delivery and ride-hail drivers.”

Drivers for Lyft work for Lyft. Lyft wants to pretend they do not. Yes, this is a big part of the law from 2019 was addressing.

Democrats have created a society where increasingly more men between the ages of 25 and 50 our permanently out of the work force

It is their mission in life.

Republicans are too busy playing with themselves to notice.

Interesting. You blame the problem on the Dems, and then post an article where the Dems are talking about it and how to fix the problem.

Drivers for Lyft work for Lyft. Lyft wants to pretend they do not. Yes, this is a big part of the law from 2019 was addressing.

If someone wants to be an independent contractor they should be allowed to do so.

Again, the question is whether or not Lyft can hire them and then say they are not Lyft employee's.

If the people being hired are ok with it, then why should the state care?

Forum List

Back