Making bread

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Since we began baking a couple months ago, something I avoided like the plague for years, discovering and enjoying the HUGE difference in the quality and taste of homemade bread vs, commercial bread.

We both fell in love with our own Focaccia. OMG... it is sooo good. As in, difficult to believe it is this good.
Better than any focaccia I have ever had anywhere. Store bought focaccia is hard, dry but yet oily at the same time.
Fresh focaccia is soft, light and chewy, but not gummy or oily.

It is is not difficult to make, but takes time. It needs to proof 3 times, at about 30-40 minutes each depending on the temp of your house.

You don't know what you are missing.

Since we began baking a couple months ago, something I avoided like the plague for years, discovering and enjoying the HUGE difference in the quality and taste of homemade bread vs, commercial bread.

We both fell in love with our own Focaccia. OMG... it is sooo good. As in, difficult to believe it is this good.
Better than any focaccia I have ever had anywhere. Store bought focaccia is hard, dry but yet oily at the same time.

It is is not difficult to make, but takes time. It needs to proof 3 times, at about 30-40 minutes each depending on the temp of your house.

What recipe do you use?
I make my own pizza dough out of basic ingredients. The trick is rolling the dough thin enough to get it to bake to that nice in between crispy and doughy.

I have never really tried to bake an actual loaf of bread. The few attempts I've made turned out less than admirable. :)

What recipe do you use?
I make my own pizza dough out of basic ingredients. The trick is rolling the dough thin enough to get it to bake to that nice in between crispy and doughy.

I have never really tried to bake an actual loaf of bread. The few attempts I've made turned out less than admirable. :)

My own...after trying several.

Ingredients:
In a small bowl...
360g warm water (between 105-110 degrees, no higher)
2 T of dry yeast
2 TB olive oil
Stir to "wake yeast".... let it sit while:
In a large bowl... sift in -
400g A/P flour, preferably King Arthur which is 2-3% higher protein the Gold Medal etc. - it really does make a difference.
1/2 tsp salt
2 T Rosemary

Add the liquid ingredients and with a spatula mix the ingredients well. It will be sticky and lumpy.
Place a warm, moist towel over the bowl and place in the warmest room in the house. It needs to be in the mid 70s. Or you can turn the oven light on when you start this recipe, and put it in the there.

Let it sit for 40 minutes.

Use this method to fold and stretch the bowl: Wet your hands with water!!!

Do this 3 times... allowing the dough to proof 30-40 minutes each time.

Then take a square pan ( I use a lasagna pan) and put in parchment paper, careful that the edges are fully covered or the bread will stick like glue to the pan.
Stretch the dough out to the edges evenly, but not so hard as to tear the dough. Don't tear the dough.
Take COARSE sea salt and sprinkle over the top - you will love this step. It really adds a pleasant saltiness to the bite.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes or until top is turning color. It will not turn golden brown all over like pizza dough. Be careful not to over cook, you can take a fork and poke in... comes out clear - it's done.
It is perfectly okay of not golden brown.

My own...after trying several.

Ingredients:
In a small bowl...
360g warm water (between 105-110 degrees, no higher)
2 T of dry yeast
2 TB olive oil
Stir to "wake yeast".... let it sit while:
In a large bowl... sift in -
400g A/P flour, preferably King Arthur which is 2-3% higher protein the Gold Medal etc. - it really does make a difference.
1/2 tsp salt
2 T Rosemary

Add the liquid ingredients and with a spatula mix the ingredients well. It will be sticky and lumpy.
Place a warm, moist towel over the bowl and place in the warmest room in the house. It needs to be in the mid 70s. Or you can turn the oven light on when you start this recipe, and put it in the there.

Let it sit for 40 minutes.

Use this method to fold and stretch the bowl: Wet your hands with water!!!

Do this 3 times... allowing the dough to proof 30-40 minutes each time.

Then take a square pan ( I use a lasagna pan) and put in parchment paper, careful that the edges are fully covered or the bread will stick like glue to the pan.
Stretch the dough out to the edges evenly, but not so hard as to tear the dough. Don't tear the dough.
Take COARSE sea salt and sprinkle over the top - you will love this step. It really adds a pleasant saltiness to the bite.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes or until top is turning color. It will not turn golden brown all over like pizza dough. Be careful not to over cook, you can take a fork and poke in... comes out clear - it's done.
It is perfectly okay of not golden brown.

Thank You!!
I'll give this a try.

Began switching to whole grain slowly to acquire the taste.
Made a 80% whole wheat bread yesterday... absolutely amazing with the burgers I made for dinner.

Began switching to whole grain slowly to acquire the taste.
Made a 80% whole wheat bread yesterday... absolutely amazing with the burgers I made for dinner.
I tried learning that way back for the y2k.
It's hard! I got only one good loaf- out of all my tries- Because I called the bread hotline. And the master there helped me save the loaf. But your're right- its delicious. It takes a talent tho.

I tried learning that way back for the y2k.
It's hard! I got only one good loaf- out of all my tries- Because I called the bread hotline. And the master there helped me save the loaf. But your're right- its delicious. It takes a talent tho.
See post#3... watch the video.
The 3 proof, fold and stretch method is the more modern way to replace the hard, cumbersome and tiring kneading. You get the same great results, without having to learn the art of kneading.

See post#3... watch the video.
The 3 proof, fold and stretch method is the more modern way to replace the hard, cumbersome and tiring kneading. You get the same great results, without having to learn the art of kneading.
do you know how to make those delicious rolls- sweet yeast rolls? we had oh Lloyd nice older fellow -This is something i have been thinking about years
we would come to work- steal a roll- butter it up nothing was better!

do you know how to make those delicious rolls- sweet yeast rolls? we had oh Lloyd nice older fellow -This is something i have been thinking about years
we would come to work- steal a roll- butter it up nothing was better!
I have not made any... I am partial to drop biscuits myself.

This guy makes extremely good videos.
If you follow what he does, don't skip anything, you will make perfect biscuits.

I could do a biscuit- I would luv to make those sweet yeast rolls. but I am a horrible cook. really! I've tried. I could f up a cookie. lol

Forum List

Back