Why is China Allowed to STILL be part of the WTO???

Discussion in 'Economy' started by GHook93, Nov 22, 2010.

1. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,930
    The mission of the WTO is to promote trade between means while insuring the members utilize fair trade practices. The advantage of WTO membership increases trade for the country enormously. It has greated a boom for China. America, along with EU, follow the restrictions set by the WTO, but China (along with Korea) have overtly ignored them and basically broke all their promises! Nevertheless, China can still reap all the advantages of WTO membership, but not even come close (or even attempt to reach) any of the WTO's high standards! WTO!

2. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    This is much more complicated than it seems:

>The WTO has strict, complicated and regimented policies

>it is likely that abuse of the rules is rampant, the US may even be the biggest offender, or not

>the WTO rules may have been rigged to serve some more than others

>the WTO hasn't singled out China as a problem

>I certainly don't know nearly enough about this to wager a pov

>until I hear from somebody who does know enough I ain't biting

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    The USA does not abide by all of the fair trade practices either.

4. Epsilon Delta

Epsilon Delta Jedi Master

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +364
    The WTO is mostly a big sham by developed countries to prevent developing countries from using the SAME EXACT strategies that developed countries used to develop, in the name of "free markets" and "efficiency" that of course, every country that has ever developed totally balked at during their own process of development.

The fact is that countries that can do so break the rules all the time. On the one hand places like America and Britain force their copyright bullshit on the developing world, but when it comes to totally distorting agricultural prices through massive subsidies to their fat-cat farmers, OH. OH NO. THAT WE CAN'T TOUCH!!! THAT'S DIFFERENT 'CUZ WE DO IT. :rolleyes:

Of course, at the same time the big emerging countries are in the process of joining The Big-Boys' Club, and so they can do whatever the hell they want to. AND how? How are places like China, Brazil, India, or Russia actually joining (or re-joining) the big-boys club? By playing with the big-boys' rules, with industrial policy, intervention in key sectors, industrial espionage, manipulation, etc. Basically with most of the thing the WTO goes against.

DO AS I SAY!