Why is a story about Malia disappearing from the Internet?

25 Secret Service Agents on this vacation ???

Why are the U.S. taxpayers paying for this President's bullshit ideas and his families exotic vacations ??

Because he won the fucking election. It's why we paid for Bush to fly to Crawford or for his daughter's to travel.

Why are the U.S. taxpayers paying for this President's bullshit ideas and his families exotic vacations ??

For the same reasons we did for previous Administrations. Because we like to protect our First Family, even when they are not of our political persuasion.

Of course, previously, no President had considered those of us with differing political views to be his 'enemies' but I still do not want any harm to come to his family, or him. And, I don't want his daughter to miss out on doing the things that other fortunate American kids get to do - just because her dad is the President. I'm fine with taxpayers funding her protection detail.

For the same reasons we did for previous Administrations. Because we like to protect our First Family, even when they are not of our political persuasion.

Of course, previously, no President had considered those of us with differing political views to be his 'enemies' but I still do not want any harm to come to his family, or him. And, I don't want his daughter to miss out on doing the things that other fortunate American kids get to do - just because her dad is the President. I'm fine with taxpayers funding her protection detail.

:rofl:

But on Monday night, the story had been removed from those sites .The AFP page for the story now links to a story titled "Senegal music star Youssou Ndour hits campaign trail," as does the Yahoo page. The Huffington Post page now links directly back to the Huffington Post homepage. The Daily Mail, Telegraph, and Australian stories now lead to 404 error pages, reading "page not found." The International Business Times story also links to the IBT homepage, though a version of the original story still exists online.

A spokesperson at the White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment, though given the late hour that can be forgiven. I will update here if and when I hear back from the White House, and when I hear back from spokespeople with the various websites and news agencies.

UPDATE: Kristina Schake, Communications Director to the First Lady, emails to confirm this was a White House effort:

From the beginning of the administration, the White House has asked news outlets not to report on or photograph the Obama children when they are not with their parents and there is no vital news interest. We have reminded outlets of this request in order to protect the privacy and security of these girls.
Media scrubs Malia Obama Spring Break vacation AFP story - POLITICO.com

But on Monday night, the story had been removed from those sites .The AFP page for the story now links to a story titled "Senegal music star Youssou Ndour hits campaign trail," as does the Yahoo page. The Huffington Post page now links directly back to the Huffington Post homepage. The Daily Mail, Telegraph, and Australian stories now lead to 404 error pages, reading "page not found." The International Business Times story also links to the IBT homepage, though a version of the original story still exists online.

A spokesperson at the White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment, though given the late hour that can be forgiven. I will update here if and when I hear back from the White House, and when I hear back from spokespeople with the various websites and news agencies.

UPDATE: Kristina Schake, Communications Director to the First Lady, emails to confirm this was a White House effort:

From the beginning of the administration, the White House has asked news outlets not to report on or photograph the Obama children when they are not with their parents and there is no vital news interest. We have reminded outlets of this request in order to protect the privacy and security of these girls.
Media scrubs Malia Obama Spring Break vacation AFP story - POLITICO.com

That sounds perfectly acceptable to me. I don't think the media should report on the private activities of the children of any politician.

Try using Google for a search and clicking the resulting links that don't take you to where they say.

I don't buy the security theory.

Yeah, I found that. That's why I think that she probably did go.

Why else, if not security?

The White House admitted they asked for the press to remove the stories because it isn't news, not redact where they were. Once the location is out the only reason not publish the story, security, is moot. I think the fact that there are 25 Secret Service agents guarding one girl is a legitimate story and that taxpayers should be able to ask about the cost. How can we do that if no one even prints the story?

There is always the chance that some idiot with a vengence will miss the story. Good on you for making sure THAT doesn't happen, fucktard.

I am guessing because it is bullshit?
13 year olds (25 of them?) with no parental supervision going to Mexico for Spring Break?

Strange happenings on the web.

Have you heard that Malia Obama, the president’s daughter, is reportedly spending her spring break in Oaxaca, Mexico? Allegedly, she’s jetting off with some of her classmates and 25 Secret Service agents to a country that the State Department has said all Americans should avoid. But something is different about the latest “Obama vacation controversy:” references to it are disappearing from the Internet — and fast.

Around 3:00 EST, a Telegraph story reporting on the event was the first to vanish (note how the url remains the same in the “before” and “after”):

Malia Obama Oaxaca, Mexico Vacation Story Disappearing from the Web | TheBlaze.com

Just out of curiosity, why would the Obamas let a 14 year old go by herself to a foreign country?

She has secret service nannies to wait on her hand and foot, paid for by you and me.... what else would she need?

Last edited:
And on the news.... malia is reporting on the earthquake. Said to be on a class spring break trip.

A spokesman for the WH said it's policy of President and Mrs. Obama to not report on their children.
It didn't keep Santorum from speaking out about Malia on Beck's show, however.

The White House admitted they asked for the press to remove the stories because it isn't news, not redact where they were. Once the location is out the only reason not publish the story, security, is moot. I think the fact that there are 25 Secret Service agents guarding one girl is a legitimate story and that taxpayers should be able to ask about the cost. How can we do that if no one even prints the story?

If you want to discuss the SS's budget, fine. It's just inappropriate to bring the kids into the question. She has a right to go on trips and vacations. The fact that we have to pay for extra security is a known given, having nothing to with her or the Obamas.

If you want to discuss the SS's budget, fine. It's just inappropriate to bring the kids into the question. She has a right to go on trips and vacations. The fact that we have to pay for extra security is a known given, having nothing to with her or the Obamas.

what is inappropriate is the government asking for anyone to take a story down, even if it is about kids.

what is inappropriate is the government asking for anyone to take a story down, even if it is about kids.

I don't have any problem with the President asking for the story to be taken down.

I would have a problem with the President forcing the story to be taken down. But that's not what happened.

No, it's perfectly reasonable for the President to ask that the media do not report on the private activities of his children. His children are not public figures. And there is a security aspect to consider.

Frankly, I find it quite concerning that anyone feels it was ok for the media to run this story in the first place.

I don't believe it is. They are HIS kids. Any other story that the POTUS asks for removal, I totally agree. He has influence and that should not be used for censoring the press. (In general.)

They are HIS KIDS.

I don't have any problem with the President asking for the story to be taken down.

I would have a problem with the President forcing the story to be taken down. But that's not what happened.

Did the press take down the stories about Bush's daughters? Palin's? The story is not Malia being in Mexico, it is that the story is being taken down. From everywhere. Someone is applying pressure, or logging a lot of hours on the phone calling people.

No, it's perfectly reasonable for the President to ask that the media do not report on the private activities of his children. His children are not public figures. And there is a security aspect to consider.

Frankly, I find it quite concerning that anyone feels it was ok for the media to run this story in the first place.

It is perfectly reasonable for any individual to ask for the press not to run a story. It ceases to be reasonable when the press pulls a story without explanation.

Did the press take down the stories about Bush's daughters? Palin's?

Obviously they did not. The press is biased.

We know that, though.

But, the Bushes did ask, too.

Forum List

Back