Why I Left the Right: How Studying Religion Made Me a Liberal

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
n-SUSIE-MEISTER-628x314.jpg

It was January 20, 2001, and I was at George W. Bush's inaugural ball. I had spent months campaigning for him, and it had not been easy. After the Florida electoral debacle complete with "hanging chads," Katherine Harris (and her 15 minutes of shame), and ultimately the Supreme Court's Bush v. Gore decision, I was finally enjoying the fruits of my labor as I celebrated the new president that I worked to get elected.

Sure, my role in the campaign wasn't glamorous, but I was a 20-year-old political science, religious studies double major who saw this election as the beginning of my work for the Right. I had recently appeared on MTV's reality show, Road Rules, where I represented the worldview of conservative evangelicals in all its virginal, Christian glory in a very public way. Now I wanted to turn my moment in the spotlight into something meaningful.

During the campaign, I attended Young Republican meetings, drove Bush's trusted advisors, Andrew Card and Karen Hughes, in the motorcade when they came to town, and now I was working the inaugural ball as the celebrity handler for special guest, Drew Carey. During the evening, he admitted that he wasn't actually a Republican, but a libertarian.

"Good enough," I thought to myself, "As long as he isn't one of 'those liberals.'"

I believed my involvement in the campaign was just the beginning of my efforts to promote the conservative movement and perhaps my own career as well.

Growing up immersed in the evangelical community, I was so familiar with the Christian rhetoric and worldview that it never occurred to me that they might be getting it all wrong. During the late eighties and throughout the nineties, evangelicalism hit its stride in terms of communicating and promoting a very specific message that amounted to a chorus of sound bites about "family values," militarism, and the pro-life movement. The group's unified theological positioning inspired the mobilization of American evangelical voters and influenced countless election results.

"The very thing that inspired my conservatism, would now be the thing that caused it to topple: my faith."

As I stood there in my purple satin, floor-length gown and then-in-style white eye shadow watching the new President dance with his First Lady, I was inspired by what I thought was a going to be a move toward increased personal responsibility, a shift from the distracting Clinton/Lewinsky circus, and a return to the philosophy of the patron saint of right-wing politics, Ronald Reagan. What I didn't realize was that I soon would become one of "those liberals," and that the very thing that inspired my conservatism, would now be the thing that caused it to topple: my faith.

I was more than just your garden variety Christian; I attended church several times a week, sought guidance from my pastor in private meetings, and after my reality TV stardom, spoke to church youth groups about how to stay "pure" in this "sinful" world. As I began studying religion at the University of Pittsburgh, people in the church warned me about what could happen under the influence of the liberal intelligentsia.

The bias of "godless liberals" teaching at universities was reason enough to avoid traditional education. I believed them when they said academia skewed to the left, but surely a faith as strong as mine could stand up to academic scrutiny.

What happened, however, wasn't an abandonment of my faith, but a shift in my understanding of Scripture. While I had always read the Bible and knew large portions of it by memory, I had relied on the expertise of my religious mentors (some of whom were simply laypeople teaching Sunday School or Christian education classes) to help guide me through its interpretation.

The more I read the text through unfiltered eyes and the more I learned about scholarly investigation, the less sense their point of view made. Their old Jesus looked nothing like my new Jesus.

I could no longer reconcile Jesus's calls for non-judgment, loving your enemies, and taking up your cross with many of the Religious Right's positions on social services, women's rights and the LGBT community. Even though I felt alone in my theological shift, I was not.

My journey from Young Republican to less young Democrat did not come from a crisis of faith, it came from finding inspiration in the life of Jesus. Once I removed the dogmatic lens that had informed my biblical interpretations, I found a figure that defended a prostitute and ate with the poor. The life of Jesus simply didn't reflect the agenda of the political right, so now neither could I.

More: Why I Left the Right: How Studying Religion Made Me a Liberal - By Susie Meister, PhD in Religious Studies, Host of The Brain Candy Podcast

This is a good article that also reflects my personal observations growing up around many others from the religious right.

I've been saying it for years. If the GOP told the Religious Right to piss off, stopped going on and on about bedrooms and sins and abortions, and just stuck to economics and foreign policy they'd beat the Dems every day of the week and twice on Sundays. But everytime they get going, one of them runs his mouth about God and drives women away.

so she joined liberals?

a group of people with no morals at all?

:rofl:

seems she really wants that fame
Do you really not understand the moral principles that Liberals believe in?? Not agreeing is one thing but if you really don't understand their point of view than you need to open your mind and educate yourself before you spout off... Just makes you sound ignorant.

so she joined liberals?

Do you really not understand the moral principles that Liberals believe in?? Not agreeing is one thing but if you really don't understand their point of view than you need to open your mind and educate yourself before you spout off... Just makes you sound ignorant.
liberals are the most immoral unamercan group of people in the country.

the fact that no liberals are running for President should have shocked you by now, but it hasn't, b/c you actually don't care.

so she joined liberals?

the fact that no liberals are running for President should have shocked you by now, but it hasn't, b/c you actually don't care.
Still you say NOTHING... Wish they had an IQ test for people to be able to join these forums.

so she joined liberals?

Still you say NOTHING... Wish they had an IQ test for people to be able to join these forums.
where is crime the worst?
where are the worst schools
who supports forcing free people to by a product they can't afford.
who is against the Constitution
who gets offended by the humanization of an unborn child

filth covered leftist

these are known facts and can't be refuted. So stfu and learn that you're filth and the only way out is to grow the fuck up.

I've been saying it for years. If the GOP told the Religious Right to piss off, stopped going on and on about bedrooms and sins and abortions, and just stuck to economics and foreign policy they'd beat the Dems every day of the week and twice on Sundays. But everytime they get going, one of them runs his mouth about God and drives women away.

Superficially that sounds reasonable, but look how well Rand Paul did in their primaries.

so she joined liberals?

It's liberals that stand up for the poor, the elderly, the sick and the children. It's cons that try to throw them all out in the street.
On judgement day Jesus will say "I was hungry and you didn't feed me, I was thirsty and you didn't give me drink, I was naked and you didn't cloth me." And the cons will ask when they did that. And Jesus will say, "When you cut Social Security, food stamps, healthcare, and aid to the poor"

You call being greed, having morals. BWAH HA HA HA HA!

Jesus will tell you he is a liberal on judgement day.....
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 25:35-40 - New International Version

so she joined liberals?

filth covered leftist

these are known facts and can't be refuted. So stfu and learn that you're filth and the only way out is to grow the fuck up.
Not sure if I should waste my time and thought trying to get through to you but i'll give it a shot:
where is crime the worst? In areas where population is dense and poverty is high
where are the worst schools In areas where population is dense and poverty is high
who supports forcing free people to by a product they can't afford. Are you talking about Taxation, would you like to be specific?
who is against the Constitution This is the dumbest of the Right wing arguments, I won't waste my time.
who gets offended by the humanization of an unborn child. Those who believe in women's rights who do not share your religious beliefs.

filth covered leftist... You're an idiot
these are known facts and can't be refuted. Just did... I think Duck Commander is on, you should go watch

so she joined liberals?

It's liberals that stand up for the poor, the elderly, the sick and the children. It's cons that try to throw them all out in the street.
On judgement day Jesus will say "I was hungry and you didn't feed me, I was thirsty and you didn't give me drink, I was naked and you didn't cloth me." And the cons will ask when they did that. And Jesus will say, "When you cut Social Security, food stamps, healthcare, and aid to the poor"

You call being greed, having morals. BWAH HA HA HA HA!

Jesus will tell you he is a liberal on judgement day.....
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 25:35-40 - New International Version
Well that's a lie, a complete and utter fucking lie.

leftist use the poor as a voting block, and do everything they can to keep them poor.

look at any poor are, it will be run by a dem, look at Detroit, look at all the shitty schools

all run by your filth

but hey, you demand that people clinging on to lower middle class living pay more in taxes.

fuck you and your idiotic lies

so she joined liberals?

filth covered leftist

Not sure if I should waste my time and thought trying to get through to you but i'll give it a shot:
where is crime the worst? In areas where population is dense and poverty is high and run by dems
where are the worst schools In areas where population is dense and poverty is high and run by dems
who supports forcing free people to by a product they can't afford. Are you talking about Taxation, would you like to be specific?
who is against the Constitution This is the dumbest of the Right wing arguments, I won't waste my time. b/c you can't
who gets offended by the humanization of an unborn child. Those who believe in women's rights who do not share your religious beliefs. dems

filth covered leftist... You're an idiot
these are known facts and can't be refuted. Just did... I think Duck Commander is on, you should go watch

no you didn't, you can't look at your self, your party and think; wtf are we doing?

four legs good
two legs better

that story is about you

Superficially that sounds reasonable, but look how well Rand Paul did in their primaries.

Charisma counts too. It's not just the message, but the messenger.

The basic difference between republicans and democrats? Republicans respect religious freedom and well....democrats don't give a shit. It must be relatively easy to run as a democrat. You don't have to adhere to pesky family values, you can laugh at morality and all you have to do is lie and pander to the freakazoid base.

so she joined liberals?

What moral principles, robbing and looting people? Forcing people to do things they don't want to do? The term "liberal moral principle" is an oxymoron.

so she joined liberals?

What moral principles, robbing and looting people? Forcing people to do things they don't want to do? The term "liberal moral principle" is an oxymoron.
You're just as hopeless as two thumbs

The basic difference between republicans and democrats? Republicans respect religious freedom and well....democrats don't give a shit.

Actually we just define it as all religions being treated equally, and none should be promoted by the government or our public servants.

"Your sect, by its sufferings, has furnished a remarkable proof of the universal spirit of religious intolerance inherent in every sect, disclaimed by all while feeble, and practised by all when in power. Our laws have applied the only antidote to the vice, protecting our religious as they do our civil rights, by putting all men on an equal footing. But more remains to be done; for altho' we are free by the law, we are not so in practice; public opinion erects itself into an inquisition, and exercises its office with as much fanaticism as fans the flames of an auto de fe."
-- Thomas Jefferson; from letter to Rabbi Mordecai Noah (May 28, 1818)

so she joined liberals?

Meaning I'm immune to propaganda and bullshit.

so she joined liberals?

Meaning I'm immune to propaganda and bullshit.
Not immune... Full of

Forum List

Back