Why I Don't Need God | The Hitchens Challenge

It is impossible for humanity ever to realize this.

why?

Because of the existence of spiritual experience, which makes the belief in something that might go by the title "God" (whether conventionally conceived or not) impossible to deny. As long as that experience continues to occur, it will never happen that all of humanity becomes atheist as that term is usually used.

when they are understood for what they are ( emotional experiences based on brain chemistry) then people will know the facts

I just used some Catholic examples because that is what I'm familiar with. I think you can pick out alternate examples for each of the Christian variations.

I probably could, but I don't see the moral aspect of participating in ritual.

Is singing hymns moral? Is singing Black Sabbath immoral?

Some acts are moral by their nature, helping the sick and feeding the hungry; ritual doesn't meet that goal, in my opinion.

"The Devil may be evil, but he's got nothing on Steve Jobs." - Sergey Brin (co-founder of Google)

methinks you misrepresent what Hitchens says and his motivation(s).

I don't think Hitchens says religion serves NO purpose. Hitchens says the purpose doesn't need religion. a huge distinction (with a difference).

Hitchens was a bigot and a fanatic. He replaced aggressive, proselytizing religion with intolerant and aggressive Atheism. He was as bad as any Jehovah's Witness.

that is what Hitchens said

Yes, but this is just my own point of view - from my non-believer lens.

Anyways, how would you approach this question:

– This scenario below presumes that the Christian God is real, and everything in the Bible is true –

In the absence of religion, what mechanism would compel people to do missionary work (a good, virtuous “moral action”) and spread the word of God?

Ask Doctor's Without Borders and other secular groups/institutions. When hominids, or is it human beings, first began to view others with empathy, the mind expanded and attempted to understand why.

There have been gods throughout history. They come and go, but the concept remains. Concepts -- are they actions?

an action in the context of the Hitchens Challenge would not include your mental note.

And let's get real, Chris's main intention here is to demonstrate that religion really doesn't serve a purpose, because anything that a believer can say or do can also be done by a non-believer. You don't need religion to be nice to someone. me

I don't think Hitchens says religion serves NO purpose. Hitchens says the purpose doesn't need religion. a huge distinction (with a difference).

to restate things

pardon the troll Uncensored

to restate things

You are a redundant moron.

And a feral baboon.
poor Uncensored2008 being Uncensored would ass ist you in your desire to be properly breast fed

do you want to flood this thread with your shit because you were never properly breast fed?

that's not fair to the rest of the tribe

Last edited:
do you want to flood this thread with your shit because you were never properly breast fed?

that's not fair to the rest of the tribe

Your posts are of significantly lower quality than those of TM.

At least she has the sense not to repost them dozens of times.

You can't help it though, you are but a shit-flinging feral baboon.

And let's get real, Chris's main intention here is to demonstrate that religion really doesn't serve a purpose, because anything that a believer can say or do can also be done by a non-believer. You don't need religion to be nice to someone. me

to restate things

again, pardon the troll Uncensored

This guy is asking a rather banal question: is common sense (knowing right from wrong ) a religious issue? Nope. So? It doesn’t make religion irrelevant. All those pedophile priest probably knew there was something wrong with buggery. So, do Nihilist cannibal sadists have this debate? Because, ya’ know, “there is no God” and all that. Where is this question leading?

This guy is asking a rather banal question: is common sense (knowing right from wrong ) a religious issue? Nope. So? It doesn’t make religion irrelevant. All those pedophile priest probably knew there was something wrong with buggery. So, do Nihilist cannibal sadists have this debate? Because, ya’ know, “there is no God” and all that. Where is this question leading?

hey stupid! ya you. The challenge isn't supposed to show how religion is irrelevant, only that religious claims to owning morality are specious and false.

now go beat yourself to death with a thorn studded crown

Forum List

Back