Sign: "Jesus Is Coming Soon"

Cammmpbell

Sep 13, 2011
In the 1940's and 1950's there were no Interstate hiways. Nearly every road or hiway was two lane....much of it very narrow. In Tennessee and several other states the speed limit through towns, communities, school areas, etc. was 30mph or less and when one drove out of the area a sign to let them know they were through the restricted area stated, "Please Drive Safely" In other words there was no speed limit.

Any substantial trip of 50 miles or more would show at least one roadside sign which boldly stated, "Repent, Jesus Is Coming Soon"

Route 58 from Kingston, TN to Chattanooga was such a route and there were no less than 5 religious signs along that 80-90 mile drive.

Guess What Folks.........He didn't come and the signs have essentially disappeared. Is it possible that folks have changed their minds or is it that if they put up such a sign they will have to take it down.

He'll be here...in His own time, not ours. The way this world is going, i can't believe it can be too much longer. He sure has a lot of patience with us.....

No man knows the day or the hour of Christ's return. However the signs were not in vain. They made you think as you are mentioning them now. Many people who have read those signs have died by now, hopefully it made them think of their own mortality before they passed. The churches probably took them down but replaced them with more effective ways of spreading the gospel.

Last edited:
I sent him an email asking if he would come back and restore murka to it's former glory.
He replied.

Attachments

• $JC finger.jpg
    $JC finger.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 58
I am still trying to figure out how 2000 years is "soon"

The same God considered roaming a desert for 40 years too long for his beloved people. But 2000(plus plus plus) years for the Christians is not soon enough!

Who who can believe Jews are God's people can believe anything, no matter how silly and devilish.

2000 years is not "soon." It's not "some standing here will not taste death before..." It's not "this generation will not pass away before...." It's not "at hand." It's not 70 Weeks (of years) since Daniel gave his prophesy.

"Do you not see this Temple that we just walked out of? Truly I say to you, not one stone here will be left upon another, which will not be torn down...” If only we had more information, we might be able to figure out when Jesus was talking about???????????? Even smart people like Hal Lindsey have failed to figure it out.

The same God considered roaming a desert for 40 years too long for his beloved people. But 2000(plus plus plus) years for the Christians is not soon enough!

To answer your question:2 Peter 3:8
But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.
2 Peter 3:7-9 (in Context) 2 Peter 3 (Whole Chapter)

So it's only been 2 days and about 12 seconds by Gods watch.

The 40 years was so all those who had been unfaithful to God could die off.

Numbers 14: 26 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron: 27 “How long will this wicked community grumble against me? I have heard the complaints of these grumbling Israelites. 28 So tell them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the LORD, I will do to you the very thing I heard you say: 29 In this wilderness your bodies will fall—every one of you twenty years old or more who was counted in the census and who has grumbled against me. 30 Not one of you will enter the land I swore with uplifted hand to make your home, except Caleb son of Jephunneh and Joshua son of Nun. 31 As for your children that you said would be taken as plunder, I will bring them in to enjoy the land you have rejected. 32 But as for you, your bodies will fall in this wilderness. 33 Your children will be shepherds here for forty years, suffering for your unfaithfulness, until the last of your bodies lies in the wilderness.

To answer your question:2 Peter 3:8
But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.
2 Peter 3:7-9 (in Context) 2 Peter 3 (Whole Chapter)

Peter is not re-defining "soon", he is explaining God's patience.

The 40 years was so all those who had been unfaithful to God could die off.

That's also why God waited 40 years, until 70AD, to end the Temple age.

Forum List

Back