Why everyone on the internet is an asshole.

Anyone who has spent a significant amount of time on internet message boards, chatrooms, or comment sections has, at some point:

1. Had their political views compared to that of Hitler’s.
  2. Had their sexual orientation, sexual experience or sexual prowess challenged or ridiculed.
  3. Suffered from threats of physical violence, both against themselves and their mothers.
  4. Had sarcastic cat pictures posted to make fun of them.
The internet has a way of bringing out the worst in people. You may think that the internet simply allows people to say what they were already thinking anyway. But I disagree. It goes further than that. It’s not that people were already thinking these things but never had the courage to say them in person.

There’s something about the internet that warps our perceptions of one another.

Case in point: in many cases, problems and disagreements that arise on the internet magically disappear in person.

Why People Are Such Assholes on the Internet
The fact is that some people feel safe on the internet. They think "I can insult people and nobody can do anything against me".
In real life many "internet bullies" are weak and scared about everything.
Lack of respect is so negative :(

A lot of them are locker room louts. And they complain about Donald Trump.
And they never complain about political correctness. The only people who complain about that are completely well-mannered.

Anyone who has spent a significant amount of time on internet message boards, chatrooms, or comment sections has, at some point:

2. Had their sexual orientation, sexual experience or sexual prowess challenged or ridiculed.
  3. Suffered from threats of physical violence, both against themselves and their mothers.
The internet has a way of bringing out the worst in people. You may think that the internet simply allows people to say what they were already thinking anyway. But I disagree. It goes further than that. It’s not that people were already thinking these things but never had the courage to say them in person.

Case in point: in many cases, problems and disagreements that arise on the internet magically disappear in person.

I fail to see a philosophical point in this rant, Mindful .

Hope you are doing ok though and not too overly sensitive.

Maybe you just need to grow a thicker skin.

Typical American phoney psychology.
Psychology is the philosophy of the human mind.

I still don't get who pizzed into your cornflakes.

People on the Internet are like people in cars who are in a cocoon of glass , metal and plastic thus in essence isolated from real and direct interaction with other human beings similarly behind cocoons. Thus One sees analogous behaviors on the Interstates road system of our Nation as one sees on the Internet system that Al Gore created ...one sees the intemperate and sadistic troll stuff in the black on white pixel world isolation of the internet same as one sees stuff of that "genre" on highways...

Having said that I say that no generality is worth a damn including this one ....your Mama wears Army boots wing nuts ........

I fail to see a philosophical point in this rant, Mindful .

Hope you are doing ok though and not too overly sensitive.

Maybe you just need to grow a thicker skin.

Typical American phoney psychology.
Psychology is the philosophy of the human mind.

I still don't get who pizzed into your cornflakes.

Don't get it then.

People on the Internet are like people in cars who are in a cocoon of glass , metal and plastic thus in essence isolated from real and direct interaction with other human beings similarly behind cocoons. Thus One sees analogous behaviors on the Interstates road system of our Nation as one sees on the Internet system that Al Gore created ...one sees the intemperate and sadistic troll stuff in the black on white pixel world isolation of the internet same as one sees stuff of that "genre" on highways...

Having said that I say that no generality is worth a damn including this one ....your Mama wears Army boots wing nuts ........

You do get around, don't you Tyrone?

It's anonymous, that's why people are so free to be rude. In real life you don't want the asshole to key your car or poison your dog so you reluctantly put up with them.

However, being an asshole is perfectly human. We have evolved through many generations of mankind inflicting his assholeness upon one another. Think about it, who was more likely to succeed, prosper and procreate? The nice folks down by the river minding their own business or the tribe of assholes than have no compunctions about killing people and taking their shit?

The fact is that some people feel safe on the internet. They think "I can insult people and nobody can do anything against me".
In real life many "internet bullies" are weak and scared about everything.
Lack of respect is so negative :(

A lot of them are locker room louts. And they complain about Donald Trump.
And they never complain about political correctness. The only people who complain about that are completely well-mannered.
And nobody understood my sarcasm...

Very true! I also made that comparison some time ago.

Forum List

Back